This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heather Van Vorous Tips for IBS!

We had an awesome guest lecture last night on IBS and IC that provided many many useful tips on managing this frustrating condition. I will post that transcript in a few weeks when it is done. In the meantime, though, I thought that we should list the products that have been found to help.

IBS is a brain gut disorder that gives patients tremendous nerve sensitivity of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex is what helps move foods along you GI tract. In IBS, however, that gastrocolic reflex becomes hyperreactive... and, instead of having steady soothing contractions throughout the gut, we instead experience violent cramping, diarrhea, spasms that are either to intense or not intense enough. In some patients, it can be sporadic. In others, it can create daily diarrhea.

The key is avoiding those foods that we know trigger the gastrocolic reflex... i.e. heavy fats AND insoluble fibers. Heather Van Vorous's key point was that it's very important that your meals focus first on soluble fibers, which help soothe the gut and maintain water function, rather than stimulate the gut to cause more contractions. If you eat soluble fibers first, you may then be able to tolerate some insoluble fibers... such as salads.

The explains, for me, why I have so many violent cramping and diarrhea episodes after eating salads. Starting a meal with a salad is often doom for IBS patients because the roughage stimulates the cramping, gas, diarrheat, etc. Yes, you may get your entire meal down before you realize there is a problem but, 30 minutes later, the spasms begin and the body is emptied. I had a huge attack about two weeks after eating a salad for lunch here in the office. It was agony and I barely made it home.

The problem for IBS patients is that most of the foods that are recommended for helping constipation (i.e. roughage, heavy bran, whole wheat, psyllium) actually trigger that nerve to start the cramping, etc. In contrast, foods that are soluble fibers (i.e. rice, plain bread, pasta, etc. etc.) are much easier on the gut, don't stimulate the nerve, etc. etc.

You can learn much more about diet on her website.. helpforibs.com.

So, the products that can help:

Peppermint Oil Capsules or Tea: Peppermint oil is a muscle relaxant proven by clinical studies to reduce bowel spasms. Heather reports that if you're starting to have an IBS attack, try drinking a strong hot cut of peppermint tea. It apparently works very well. I found a clinical trial in a major journal that proved that peppermint oil capsules dramatically reduced the spasms that patients experience while having barium enemas.

Fennel Tea: Fennel is very good at reducing bloating and gas.

Acacia Fiber: If you notice that you feel worse while using Metamucil or psyllium, it's because psyllium is 1/3 insoluble fiber and, you guessed it, triggers IBS spasming. Acacia fiber, however, is entirely soluble and when used regularly can help restore normal bowel function... reducing BOTH constipation and diarrhea. It works for both conditions.

She reported that bowel cleansers are very bad for IBS.
    Fasting is bad...

That your goal is to help calm the gut with small meals throughout the day high in soluble fiber.

Also... you CAN eat insoluble fibers... such as apples, whole wheat, etc.... when they are balanced with a soluble fiber first. So, for example, spaghetti with veggies on it. Fruit on toast, etc. etc.

As for salads, have them at the end of the meal rather than at the beginning.

Coffees, sodas very bad for IBS due to their stimulatory effects.

Hard chocolates in bar form are bad due to their high fat and caffeine content. However, cocoa powder has the fat and caffeine removed and is tolerated. So, you can still make some great chocolate cakes and cookies!

There were many more suggestions.. that we'll post later.

For the full line of Heather's Tummy Care products, please visit the ICN shop at: http://www.icnshop.com

A very grateful IBS patient,

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

I hadn't noticed this earlier. Thanks for sharing!!
    I so needed to know some of this stuff before!

most patients don't know that there are two different kinds of fiber

soluble and insoluble fiber

bran greens kernal corn...is insoluble fiber....which is a huge GI stimulant....so it sends the gastrocolic reflex out of control
    triggers spasms, cramps, diarrhea....it can also exacerbate constipation

as my IBS would flare up hugely from fiber (my guess I was taking insoluble fiber) I thought I was doomed. I was avoiding so much food I thought there was nothing I could eat.
    (thankfully probiotics have helped bring some things back into my diet)

fennel and peppermint....I am having success with growing fennel...peppermint I think was a failure but I will buy some.....it was already on my list of things I was going to try that I gave to my doctor.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Heather's tips have helped me so much -- her site and her advice rocks! When I got diagnosed with IBS, my GI doc said that I needed to eat more fiber -- he didn't say which KIND! So, being diligent, I bought all sorts of high-fiber food and couldn't understand why I didn't feel better. Now I know and I've modulated my diet accordingly, which has definitely helped.

Heather has done for IBS what Jill has done for IC and I am immensely grateful to you both!
      Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
      Diagnosed with:
      IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
      Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
      Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

THANK YOU so very much for posting the link to the helpforibs site. I've had IBS problems all of my life, but they got 10 x's worse last september following the removal of my gallbladder. reading through this site has explained so much already. i can't wait to see how it really helps in actual practice. I can't thank you enough. you may have just saved my butt...literally (pardon the pun) ;o)

Comment

Hmmm the peppermint capsules. Its been a double edged sword for me....as the peppermint does work to help calm my tummy....can't help but feel that CLEAN FRESH MINTY feeling in the nether-regions after peeing...which really isnt all that pleasant...

I'm starting the acacia fiber....so we'lll see how it goes
          Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems drinking the Fennel Tea? Regular tea is a trigger for my IC and since I am in a flare right now I certainly don't need that. I think I will hold off on trying the Peppermint caps until after my flare is over.

Comment

Don't knowm plaedes. I have a box of the fennel tea in my cabinet, but I've been a big chicken & afraid to try it. Hope someone comes along & answers your (ours now!) question!
              Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
              I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
              Source - Pinterest
              "

Current treatments:
              -IC diet
              -Elavil 50mg at night
              -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
              -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
              -Pyridium if needed,
              -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
              -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
              -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
              -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
              -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
              -Managing stress= VERY important!
              -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I just ordered the Acacia, fennel tea and one of her books. I didn't order the peppermint tea as I am one of those that cannot do mint. I was afraid to try the capsules. I am also a little afraid to try the fennel tea. Has anyone had any IC probelms with it. I do hope that it helps without doing a number on my IC. Bloating and cramping are one of my biggest problems. Not moving my bowels regularly is another. I hope pray the Acacia helps.
                Most GI drs have given me meds for the IBS...........and most give me headaches (like levsin). Zelnorm can help occassionally but has become problematic recently when using too much or too high of a dose. As for diet..........most drs have not bothered to take the time to work it out with me. I am anxious to get the book but would love some feedback on the fennel tea before I try it.
                Thanks,
                Mel

IC, PFD, IBS, Allergies, Chronic Migraines, CVID, Fibromyalgia, CFS, Numerous Laporoscopies for Endometriosis and Adhesions, Hysterectomy 2002

Comment

Is Ginger IC friendly???

AS I posted before I ordered some things from Heather and am waiting to get them. I especially anxous to receive the Acacia fiber and pray that it will help.
                  I read through her site and read that ginger is also good when you are having Irritable Bowel Spasms and pain. I had purchased some ginger caps form Nature's way and decided to try it as a tea. I opened the capsule and poured the contents into my hot water. I immediately felt some relief so a few hours later before bed I had my second cup. Still, no problem and it actually started to calm things down. I also watched what I ate according to her tips. This morning third cup of ginger.....ok. This afternoon, 4th cup of ginger and the IC pain starts. My husband warned me that it sounded like it would be irritating but I was so happy with it helping my IBS and not having any IC pain that I looked forward to drinking it happily! OH well....no I am in pain and am supposed to go out to dinner for my sister's birthday! We haven't been out in months because of my husband's cancer illness and we were both looking forward to getting out....ev en if I played with my food and didn't eat it for fear of triggering more IBS symptoms. Now, I have to go and sit there through the pain.
                  I am trying to flush it out with water but feel like I am going to drown.....and I need to get dressed soon too. ughhhhhhhhh
                  Has anyone had any experience with ginger.......IC wise?
                  I am really bummed out over this. I hope the other products I ordered from Heather are IC friendly....like the fennel tea.
                  Thanks,
                  Mel

IC, PFD, IBS, Allergies, Chronic Migraines, CVID, Fibromyalgia, CFS, Numerous Laporoscopies for Endometriosis and Adhesions, Hysterectomy 2002

Comment

Fennel Tea might be causing me to flare!

I finally got Heathers book and products from the ICN shop. I've been reading the book and applying what I can. Here is the problem I'm having. I think the fennel tea is causing me to flare. I took it a few days and thought I was ok....all of a sudden it started causing me pain. I noticed this starting yesterday and today. Two after after I have the tea the pain starts....I have to drink a lot of water to flush it out but it still doesn't get rid of all the pain. Can it be causing problems a few days after I actually started drinking it?
                    The other problem I am having is that in order to help the IBS I started eating some white bread and pasta....as per the book. These are things that I normally don't eat in abundance. I actually haven't had pasta in a loooooonnnnnngggg time. Anyway, it was easy on the gut and my bladder wsa happy but after about 10 days of this it caused lots of vag yeast and pain! Yeast is a problem I always have.....probably due to my awful immune system not being able to keep it in check. I upped my probiotiocs and started on vag nystatin..(which I take pretty regularly anyway) which I will probably take for a longer course....daily.
                    has anyone else had problem with the fennel tea irritating their bladders? ginger did it to me too after about 2 days. I guess I am not a candidate for teas. I seem to be OK with slippery elm or marshmallow root though but I was looking for something for the IBS. Any ideas?
                    Mel

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for all the advice. I have had IBS since I was a child but have never even really gotten any advice on diet. I've just had to go through trial and error pretty much. My issue now is similar to what Im seeing about the fennel tea: The things that help my ibs flare my ic, and vice versa!! There must be a happy medium, but I am struggling to get enough of the right foods without literally running to the restroom. Maybe I should buy the book.

Has anyone with both IC and IBS found a certain thing that helps the IBS without flaring the IC besides peppermint? Thanks again for all the time spent to help us out there struggling!! This is the only place that I can discuss these things and be understood!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. My GI just basically said you have IBS and hemroids good luck. I had no idea about what type of foods to avoid or embrace, other than the obvious of coure, Thanks for the helpful advise.

Comment

diareha like crazy

Can someone tell me what is going on?
                          I have had lower right tenderness off and on for years, but getting worse now.
                          It seems to be in the groin at times.. like on top of the pubic bone....but only on the right side.......the soft tissue at the very top and an inch above it. Tender to the touch, and throughout the day, sharp pains that sort of shoot all thru there. ONce 3 years ago I went to the er. That day the shooting pains went all up and down my right side but they found nothing.

So 5 days ago I ate several large raw red seedless grapes. that night at 4 am I felt the sharp pain. Then it left. Then the next day I ate more grapes and some watermelon with some wheat thins for lunch.
                          Then later that day I simmered some green peppers in water and then drank the water , thinking about all the wonderful nutrients in the water.
                          The next am I had diareha like crazy from 7 am till 3 pm.
                          I think it was mostly from the pepper juice, based on past experience with this and beet juice.

Yesterday this pain in my right side really got bad. I had trouble moving and turning over in bed last night. Today it is worse... very very tender to the touch covering the entire right lower quadrent of the abdomin. I called my gastro doctors nurse. She said since my temp is below normal, I am not likely to be having an apendecitis attack.
                          Is this IBS, or could it be ulcers in the colon? Do you think this could be caused from the overload of fruit and the pepper juice??
                          It hurts to stand up from sitting and hurts to even walk.
                          Does this sound possible from the fruit?
                          This morning I had a just slightly loose movement, not bad at all. NO gas at all for 2 days, so that is not it.
                          I am in a slight bladder burning flair too, but I am sure this right sided pain is not just my bladder.
                          Thanks for any info.
                          ellie
                          Surf Gal

Comment

Common bowel pain is left but your appendix is on your right and I hear Crohns can bother the right.

My question to you is have you had a hydro? do you have ulcerative IC? Sharp pains may be muscle spasms.

Point is I don't think your right side pain is IBS and I think you need to look further into it. The fact that you ate a food I don't think many IC patients would find very tollerable if you do have ulcers in your blader on your right side I think that may explain it.

My pain from what is the portion of my body doing the job of my colon is on my left....that is where most colon pain is. I was an odd Ulcerative Colitis patient and did have ulcers on both ends of my colon which I guess could make the pain be on the right side as well but I hear that isn't as common as bad spot mainly at the end. Is there blood in your stools? Dark color or any odd color to it?
                            How high is your pain?

It is possible to have two symptoms flare up by the same food an still have two different causes.

Your title was diareha like crazy but I don't see you saying that in your post??

I think IC pain can really beat bowel pain. The only time my bowels have caused me that extreme of pain I definatly had gas! I should bring up though that it not coming out doesn't mean it isn't there!!
                            I hope you can get some answers and some relief but I think you should seriously consider that this may be IC and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction related. I hope you get relief no matter what!!!
                            Faith, Hope, and Love,
                            Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                            or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                            Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

lower right pain too!

This is the first I have heard of someone having the same sounding pain as me. For a long time I thought it was my right ovary, a cyst. I had to have my left removed a few yrs ago because of this. But it seems like the pain is too low for that. I dont have any answers, just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Comment

Working...
                              X