Vicoden vs Percocet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicoden vs Percocet?

Hi all...I'm looking at the clock and I need to go out for birthday celebration tonite....I really want to go....I really want to eat some yummy swordfish....but my gut is sooooooooooooo ****** off.....I've got cramping, the kind when you've got bad gas (or gotta go poop) so I've resorted to 1 immodium chewable to slow down the transit time and gut muscles....and I took my last vicodin, which was only half a tablet.....I let it melt under my tongue to get it to work a little quicker (I don't know if that really works).

I have Percocet on hand....are the 2 (in your experience) somewhat the same? they're both narcotics with acetominaphen? I just don't really take narcotics all that often for any pain....unless I'm flat out *just done* and like tonite, I want to go out...and I want to focus on being with everyone and NOT on this intermittent pain (and bowels spasms)....per Rx list dot com, they seem to be pretty similar.....anyone care to share what they have found?

Thanks!!!
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

To me they are about the same. I hope you don't plan to drink? When my IBS flares, the only thing that works for me is staying home, I don't find pain relief with pain meds. I only take the pain meds for IC chronic pain. I am also going out tonight, we are having our main street festival and from 6 - 10 is dancing in the streets, we have a group of about 15 going, so I took my last dose of pain meds around 3:30 hopefully they will keep me ok until I get home. I don't drink anymore, maybe 1 every 3 or 4 months. I guess everyone in my group likes that, because I am always the driver. ha ha.. Good Luck. I know I need to get out, haven't been anywhere exciting in months.

Comment

They are very similar chemically (both forms of synthetic codeine, mixed with tylenol), but it's generally held that (dosage being the same) percocet is a little stronger. Percocet is a more highly regulated drug than vicodin; it can't be called in and it can't be refilled without a new prescription.

That being said, people respond differently to different meds. For example, vicodin makes me nauseous and gives me headaches; percocet does not. But some people have the opposite experience.

So, I guess the message is: It depends on how you react to it, so you're going to have to take your chances, or not. Sorry I can't be more helpful! I hope you manage to go out and have a good time, anyway.
      Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
      Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Vicodin does a # on my tummy with just one pill--but with percocet I can take 2 or more without the tummy problem (nausea/vomiting) If I have gasey/icky tummy it seems to settle it--go figure.
        How in the world can you stand the taste of that pill under your tongue?? I read that and did the I just took a tequila shot shimmy!!

Comment

never took a perc. I take vicodine.. the 5/500 are like tylonel and the 7/750 (hope I got doses right) are quite a bit stronger.. if you only took half, you should be ok. I would not drive tho. I hope you went and are having a good time.
          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I know that vicodine is suppose to be chemically different (like a synthetic codeine) but I am allergic to all three... vocodine, precocet, and codeine. So even though they are chemically different they are close enough to codeine for me to have a reaction to vicodine and percocet.
            TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
            My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
            Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
            I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
            Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
            Louann

Comment

vicodine has no type of codine in it. My mom is highy allergic to it, but can take vicodine. We doubled checked with the pharmacy before she took it. I would have bet my last quarter that is did contain codine.
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

They work about the same for me. I don't think the Percocet is really any better than the vicodin, but I guess everyone is different?

Kara
                Hugs and Wishes for Pain FREE days!!,
                Kara

www.loveforearth.net ~reducing plastic waste one bag at a time~

Facebook: Kara Kaiser
                Twitter: Love4Earth

Me and my Guccigirl... she helps me through those painful hours!

Comment

Originally posted by tigger_gal View Post
                  vicodine has no type of codine in it. My mom is highy allergic to it, but can take vicodine. We doubled checked with the pharmacy before she took it. I would have bet my last quarter that is did contain codine.
                  The first time I had vicodine my orthopeadic surgeon gave it to me after a surgery. He knew I was allergic to codeine. He absolutely couldn't beleive I was allergic to vicodine too. Since I am allegric to codeine, percocet, vicodine, and tramadol, there are only 2 good ones left for me..demerol and morphine.
                  TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
                  My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
                  Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
                  I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
                  Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
                  Louann

Comment

For some reason Vicodin does not work as well as Percocet does for me. I wonder why?
                    Meds I take:
                    Elmiron, Elavil, Vagifem- for IC
                    Albuterol, Flovent, Atrovent- for Asthma and lung problems
                    Paxil, Clonazepam- for depression and Anxiety
                    Atenolol- for rapid heart rate
                    Nexium- for Gerd
                    Levothyroxin- for Hypothyroidism
                    Lasix, Pottasium- for edema
                    Lipitor- for High Cholesterol
                    I coated aspirin
                    02 at bedtime

Comment

I was told by my doctors office that Percocet is actually a bit stronger than Vicodin, but again it depends on the dosage and the person.

Comment

Working...
                      X