Ibs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibs?

For a long time I have had chronic nausea. When I was in 9th grade (about 3 years ago) I had my gallbladder out becuase it just stopped working. I couldn't keep food down (or in, depending on how you look at it). After than it took a year for my bowels to adjust back to normal (as oppse to chronic diareah).

Then about 6 months later the neausea came back and I had issues digesting greasy (or fatty foods) like McDonaolds, BBQ foods, or things with butter. I chalked it up to not having a gallbladder and adjustid my diet.

Now, I get this gnawing feeling in my stomach (about 2 inches above my bellybutton) if it's empty. When I eat, it makes it feel better for about 20 minutes then I get REALLY nauseous and litteraly RUN to the bathroom and either vomit or have horrible (unimaginable) diareah. Because of this. I have not been eating much the last two weeks and acutally lost 2 or 3 pounds (I look thinner too).

I told this to my gastroenterologist and he said it could be from meds and so on. But the only thing I take is birthcontrol and Zegarid (for reflux) and have been on meds like that for over 4 years w/o a problem.

Does any of this sound like IBS? From what I have read people with IC can have IBS too. I was hoping to avoid another trip back to the gastro. but if it says this bad I'm not going to have a choice.

thanks.

Medical "Issues":
    IC
    GERD
    Tachycardia(resting rate is 125-130 )
    Medicastions:
    Tramadol-as needed (IC)-50mg
    Elmiron 200mg twice a day
    Levsin .125mg 1-2 pills 4 times a day

I would see you Gastro....it sounds like IBS but you need to rule out other stuff, especially if you don't have a gallbladder...maybe too much bile is dumping into your gut...causing the diahrrea. If that's the case they can put you on a drug like Questran to absorb all that extra bile and no more diahrrea.

But yeah again....go see a gastro, have them rule out everything else....IBS mimicks more serious conditions like Chrons, Colitis, etc.

Good Luck I hope you find answers soon. I know how you feel with the nausea, diarrhea 20 min after eating and all that crapola.
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

Well, it looks like back to the doctor I go.

Just ate lunch (a boiled hotdog with 1/2 a bun, a few sips of RootBeer, and a handful of chips) and man food does NOT sit well with me. Before I could even make it to the bathroom I had to grab someone's trash can and puke into that. Then when I went to the bathroom it was like someone slipped me 3 laxatives.

I really don't know what's wrong. And it annoys me because now I avoid food in fear of getting ill.

Medical "Issues":
      IC
      GERD
      Medicastions:

Comment

Please see your doctor. I had my gallbladder removed many years ago, but did not have the symptoms you do. I now have IBS, but the symptoms did not show up until recently.

Until you do get to see your doctor, you may want to take a look at the diet section at http://www.helpforibs.com . Take a look at the section on soluble fiber... for IBS it is what you want to eat when everything gives you problems, things like white rice, potatoes, white bread, etc. If it is IBS, it could help you keep some food down while you and your doctor figure things out.
        Lisa
        IC and IBS

Comment

I'm not sure it's IBS now. I think it may be somethine else--but I don't know what.

If my tummy is empty I get the gnawing burning feeling. So I eat something (usually only like a bite or two before I feel full). And EVERY TIME I EAT (no matter how small or what it is) about an hour after I get the burning/gnawing and my stomach bloats up and get HARD AS A ROCK. Then I get nauseous and have some diareah. It looks mostly like bile (neon yellow--like Mountain Dew). But I have had some marron color (which I assume is blood) and once or twice it's been kinda sticky/tary and black. Which I KNOW IS BAD. Also after I eat I usually have it comeing up too. All of a sudden I feel this overwhelming urge to barf and I do.

Yesterady I had it with the gnawing and went to Target (my friends and I were in the mall) and got some Rolaids. Went through 10 tablets in 12 hours. They did help for a little but couldnt keep my stomach at bay. And once I made the mistake of following a Rolaids with soda (ever see what happens when you put Mentos in soda? Same thing). So I threw up bitter tasting bubbly.

I called my gastroenterologist for an appointment, described my symptoms. Got an appointment AUGUST 3!!!!!!

So now I have been avoiding food altogether. It's been that way for about 2 weeks. Havn't had anything since 4pm yesterday. Nor do I want to eat becuase the results of eating are worse than living with the gnawing. I just wish this would go away. NOW.

And the other odd thing is I am still gaining weight. How is that? I'm not not eating to loose weight (please don't think I am). But I figured I may drop a pound or two. But nope--gained 4.5.

Anyway. And words of advice are welcome. Maybe a recipie idea or something. Or if any ones knows an OTC antacid that kicks butt (I have used Mylanta, Peptobismol, Rolaids and TUMS with no real releaf).

thanks~
          gabby

Medical "Issues":
          IC
          GERD
          Medicastions:

Comment

Um yeah you need to go see a doc. You're right....lots of your symptoms are not OK. But until then you can try getting some Imodium Advanced chewables and try to eat 1/2 tablet before meals...and see if that helps slow down your gastrocolic reflex....and stick to foods like bananas, boiled potatoes or mashed (sorry you can't add dairy: no milk, cream or butter) plain white boiled rice, boiled carrots). Immodium advanced slows down the transit time in your gut, and has simethicone to relieve the bloating gas and pain you may be experiencing.

All the foods you mentioned in the 3rd post of this thread, even in itty bitty bites, are bad news....sorry Hot dogs, chips, root beer or any soda are disaster in terms of IBS.

If your symptoms are really bad and you are feeling miserable, go to the ER and get checked out.... I went last week...I was MAD, b/c my PCP wouldn't see me for complaints I've had for while regarding a pulled muscle in my chest....
            and the only thing that made it go away was percocet......long story short, the ER took me seriously enough I stayed overnight, turns out my heart is fine, but I have gallstones the gastro missed (the gastro who dumped me)

Good luck with the immodium advanced if you try it.
            Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

have you been tested for celiac?? please do so! i'm in the same boat...barely eat (for MANY reasons). get tested (blood test) altho it's not foolproof. try eating NO wheat/gluten/oats go gluten free for awhile, maybe?

good luck, please see if you can get a dr appt sooner!! be persistent.

tracy
              (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

Working...
              X