Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowel question-sorry

Hi,
    I didn't know where else to put this ,so I hope it gets seen here. Also hope it isn't too out of line for this forum.

I have developed some troubling bowel problems recently. I have, excuse me, rectal pain, abdominal pain, and well, there's no nice way to put this, rectal leakage,(sorry). All of this is pretty awful and has me almost house bound. I should mention that I have had IBS for years, but never with these symptoms . I have a small rectocele, but none of my doctors feel that could be causing my problems.

So far I have been to my GYN, a rectal surgeon, my PCP and today, a Gastroentorologist. Nobody seems to have a handle on all of this, and it is getting discouraging. To add insult to injury, the doctor I saw today was quite brusque, I thought. He, along with the rectal surgeon want me to have a special MRI which measures how the colon and other organs are working together. This would be okay except that it can only be done in a closed MRI and I am very clostrophobic. Also, the way the test works is they put some sort of goop inside the rectum,(sorry again),and then take pics while you try to squeeze it out. So, not only am I worried about the clostrophobia, but also about all that squeezing, given that I have a cystocele. Seems to me the worst thing I could do would be to strain to push out goop! When I told the doctor about my concerns, he seemed annoyed and didn't really want to listen,(same reaction I got from the surgeon). He also told me to take a lot, and I mean a lot, of fiber(to bulk out the stool and stretch the colon), and Imodium,(to calm the spasms). He said that would help ,but it would take months and months. Seems counterintuitive to me to take Imodium as that generally causes constipation, which is the last thing I need. I also told him that with my IBS, fiber actually makes it worse, but he was not interested. I said I have a referral for pelvic pt ,but he said that without a diagnosis, that would be a waste of time, so back to the MRI!

All of this has left me feeling very down. My IC has not been too bad until recently. I think the bowels are irritating my bladder and I'm sure the stress isn't helping either. Sigh.

Anywho, thanks for letting me rant.

If anyone has any input about any of this, I would really appreciate it.

Laurie

Hope you find out what's going on soon & start feeling better! I was going to say, hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Then I realized what I was going to type, but had to share it with you Laurie.

Comment

Laurie

Don't feel embarrassed!! I have a lot of the same symptoms. I have IBS and fiber can tie me in knots!! But taking Imodium is just asking for trouble. I don't really have any "cures" for you but I want you to know that you are not alone. I also have, at times, the horrible problem of leakage. But I'm afraid to take anything for it because I'm afraid it will make my IBS swing the other way. I'm SO sorry you're dealing with this. I have a gastro that I thought had done every test in the book, but I never heard of the MRI you're talking about. I would follow my gut (so to speak) and if you think it's not right for you, get a second opinion. I'm thinking of you and you're not alone!!!
      Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
      Lexapro-20 mg
      Aciphex
      Ambien-as needed
      Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
      Valium-10 mg x2 per day
      Phenergan-1 at night
      Prelief w/everything
      Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
      Heating pad
      Hot baths
      Ice
      Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

bowels, sorry

Hi Karen and Katie,
        Thanks so much for your kind, and very tongue in cheek replies! A good laugh can help anything!
        Laurie

Comment

bowels, sorry

I forgot to mention in my first post,(didn't seem like I forgot anything, did it?!) that I have already had a barium ct with contrast and a rectal exam with a rigid scope, neither of which showed anything unusual.

Comment

bubble1, I have also had awful issues with IBS d and almost constant gastritis. Like you, all tests came back negative. I recently decided to cut red meat out of my diet (about 6 months ago) - and let me tell you, it's like night and day. I only now ever have a bowel movement 1x/day, where as before, it was anywhere from 6 - toomanytocount! The fiber and medications I was given never, ever did anything for me, just the removal of red meat - go figure. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's definately worth a shot.

Hope you find something that helps - soon.

Comment

bowels

Originally posted by CaliAnn View Post
              bubble1, I have also had awful issues with IBS d and almost constant gastritis. Like you, all tests came back negative. I recently decided to cut red meat out of my diet (about 6 months ago) - and let me tell you, it's like night and day. I only now ever have a bowel movement 1x/day, where as before, it was anywhere from 6 - toomanytocount! The fiber and medications I was given never, ever did anything for me, just the removal of red meat - go figure. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's definately worth a shot.

Hope you find something that helps - soon.
              CaliAnn,
              Thanks so much for your input. Interestingly, I was thinking that red meat might be one of the problems. I think I will cut it out of my diet for a while and see what happens.
              Laurie

Comment

Have you had a colonoscopy with biopsies? If not, I suggest you try a new gastro for a fresh look on your symptoms. I hope this will help. Darlene

Comment

I have posted this before my son had your symptoms and was written off by all kinds of Dr. I by chance came across Habba syndrome, it is easy to treat easy to diagnose, google Dr. Habba syndrome.

My son was house bound for years, it took 20 mins from him eatting to comeing out the other end, once diagnosed takes 1-2 pills a day and he can live a normal life. The med is a bile squesterant and dose not get absorbed into the body so no problem for the bladder.

Red meat was a big problem for him.

Are you worse if you eat fatty foods.

Google Dr. Habba syndrome his article explains it all much better than I could then you can decided for yourself if you think it fits you.

Good luck MG
                  My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Working...
                  X