Small intestine problems vs IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small intestine problems vs IC?

I am confused, maybe someone has had same problems? I have IC for 3 years and very bad pain spot in small intestine near navel for around 1 year. First it was more under and somehow not so sure point, and I even thought it was bladder pain, as it was confusing. My bladder looked fine inside (though not hydro done yet), but I have frequency, urgency and burning.
    Pain in intestine has been not controllable with pain medicine and as it was confusing for me, I went to internist just 2-3 months ago. He put me on "Budenosid", first smaller dosis, later bigger, and now I need to go zero in some days. The thing is, I have for years as well diarrhea, esp bad during my period. And Budenosid made a big difference, though at one point it stopped working. But, during those I guess 2 weeks, when it really kicked in, as well my IC problems were practically non-excistent, I felt so good! )I took Budenosid though much longer...). I did not have any problems in intestine as I made coloscopy, no signs of gluten intolerance for instance, and my blood showed no problems as well. But since spring, only thing that has made my IC sympoms less, are cranberry pills, which are definitely not recommended to IC patients, but my urologist said, if cranberry helps, it still can be some kind of infection there. So, to take all long story in one sentence: has anybody had some infections in small intestine, which later showed connection to IC? I sort of believe now, if this problem could be solved, maybe I actually would not have IC as illness alone at all. If you have any experience in that field, please answer.

Re: Small intestine problems vs IC?

I do know that many people with IC have IBS or IGS. I was diagnosed with both many, many years ago but it turned out it was from Lyme Disease.
    I also know if you are having problems with the bowels it most certainly will affect the bladder. Specifically, if you are constipated. Have you considered asking the doc if you can take probiotics? They are after all healthy bacteria and many of us lack enough of them and that could most definitely cause issues. Of course I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction so be sure to run it by your Doctor. Feel better soon!
    Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

Comment

Yes, I take probiotics occassionally and as well vaginal ones, but I do not see much difference, though first time it helped a lot, for a while. I guess there can be as well yeast problems, I stopped lately eating bread, but as no sign of problems with gluten, I continue eating porridge, musli etc. I hope I find more stories similar to mine here!

Comment

There are actually many people who have both IC and IBS. It is very common that they go together. I actually asked Patsy Castos to write a guest blog for me a couple of years ago. Here is her article: http://interstitial-cystitis-diet.bl...h-both-ic.html
        Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
        IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
        IC Diet Website
        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
        Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
        Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Ok, now I have learned a lot more... So I just anwer to myself, and maybe it helps others.
          What I had, and obviously still have, is "Small intestine bacterial overgrowth". It comes together with lactose and fructose intolerance, which I got from being on too many antibiotics. Be very careful with every antibiotics written to you, it can backfire and ruin your intestines later!!!
          So, this awful painful spot, which I still have after eating dairy products or fruits or sugar (fructose), came from fructose intolerance. I wrote an article about it, so I read more scientific papers, and that is how exactly it is described: if fructose intolerant person is not avoiding fructose, then it starts inflammation, which ruins the closing area between small and big intestine. That is when starts bacterial overgrowth and pain, but my colonoscopy showed nothing after one year pain yet. I avoided all dairy 8-9 months, but even though it went better first, I found I still have diarrhea, and then found out that fructose intolerance can be even more dangerous. I lately cheat a lot, and have a pain as well, aloe vera juice helps a lot, but I really need to go fructose-free diet again. It is just so hard!!! (Next to dairy and IC diet...). Anyhow, unexplainable diarrhea and pain in a belly somewhere is worth to investigate and to find out if you have lactose and/or fructose intolerance. Because with diarrhea comes always IC-irritation, at least in my case....

Comment

Working...
          X