Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ibs flare

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ibs flare

    Hi,

    Quick question.

    I've had IBS for many years.

    However, in the past month or so, it has gotten worse to the point where I can barely eat anything and am having to run to the bathroom, literally, often.

    I had a colonoscopy last Friday and was told today, by my Gastro. that all the biopsies and labs were normal except for two precancerous polyps which he plucked out during the procedure,(have your colonoscopies, folks).

    I asked what I could do for the increase in severity of symptoms and he suggested, despite the fact that he knows I have IC, Citrucel. I read the ingredients for Citrucel and as I suspected, they are not IC friendly. BTW, this doc is highly regarded.

    He also suggested Librax which is an anti anxiety drug and/or Colosteramine, but I have not reacted well to that medication.

    I've been taking Imodium and using Heather's tummy fiber, but nothing is helping and I'm feeling a bit lost. BTW, I am watching what I eat very carefully,mostly BRAT diet and Heather's "safe food" diet.

    My daughter suggested a special Aloe that uses only the inner leaves of the plant and is very soothing, but it has lemon juice in it. She also suggested Slippery Elm powder and marshmallow root so I am looking for those products.

    However, I could use some advice and suggestions, as well as any experience anyone has had with the above IBS treatments.

    Thanks very much.

    Laurie

  • #2
    Re: ibs flare

    Have you looked at the Citrucel in caplet form? I just took a peek and it looks like they might be less of a problem for someone with IC.

    Donna
    Stay safe


    Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

    Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

    Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

    Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

    AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

    Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ibs flare

      Unfortunately I'm very well acquainted with IBSD. I too had the colonoscopies, endoscopies, stool sample analysis, etc. etc. I started taking Align probiotic and Florastor probiotics and my IBSD has improved. The only aloe vera that does not give me the runs is the Desert Harvest Aloe in small amounts. The other brands did not work for me. Heather's Tummy tamer and slippery elm both gave me mucus type diarrhea. Figuring out my food triggers helped an awful lot which are usually acidic, greasy, or overly spicy foods. A combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber helps me. I also found that what I eat first thing in the morning is crucial and sets the intestinal tone for the day as from what I've been told the bowels are the most active first thing in the morning. I had no problem adding some Meta Mucil at times as long as I made sure I was also eating soluble fiber food too. I'm wondering if just a plain old anti spasmodic would help-?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ibs flare

        Hi Laurie,

        I have also had IBS my whole life, mostly C (these days due to amitriptyline) but also D sometimes.

        About 3 years ago, my IBS reared it's ugly head and I had D all the time. I was like you, I couldn't eat without running to the bathroom. I went to the Dr and he gave me Librax to take 3 times a day before meals and Citrucel. They both helped me immensely, but shortly after my IC went haywire. I suppose it was the ingredients in Citrucel. What my doctor told me is that IBS has flares just like IC. That D flare lasted about 3 weeks, then subsided. I haven't had one since but now I'm on ami so that might be why. I guess what I'm saying is maybe this is just an IBS flare and it will resolve on it's own after some time.

        I also find it interesting that IBS, fibromyalgia and IC are all connected...oh and migraines too.

        I am sufferring from IBS C these days. As awful as D is, C seems to affect my bladder more. Sigh...

        I hope you feel better,
        Jane

        Originally posted by bubbe1 View Post
        Hi,

        Quick question.

        I've had IBS for many years.

        However, in the past month or so, it has gotten worse to the point where I can barely eat anything and am having to run to the bathroom, literally, often.

        I had a colonoscopy last Friday and was told today, by my Gastro. that all the biopsies and labs were normal except for two precancerous polyps which he plucked out during the procedure,(have your colonoscopies, folks).

        I asked what I could do for the increase in severity of symptoms and he suggested, despite the fact that he knows I have IC, Citrucel. I read the ingredients for Citrucel and as I suspected, they are not IC friendly. BTW, this doc is highly regarded.

        He also suggested Librax which is an anti anxiety drug and/or Colosteramine, but I have not reacted well to that medication.

        I've been taking Imodium and using Heather's tummy fiber, but nothing is helping and I'm feeling a bit lost. BTW, I am watching what I eat very carefully,mostly BRAT diet and Heather's "safe food" diet.

        My daughter suggested a special Aloe that uses only the inner leaves of the plant and is very soothing, but it has lemon juice in it. She also suggested Slippery Elm powder and marshmallow root so I am looking for those products.

        However, I could use some advice and suggestions, as well as any experience anyone has had with the above IBS treatments.

        Thanks very much.

        Laurie
        Jane
        Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

        Current Treatment:
        10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

        Used During Flares:
        Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

        Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
        Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

        Things that have not helped in the past:
        Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

        Also have migraines and IBS

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ibs flare

          Thanks, Donna, I'll check into that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ibs flare

            Originally posted by earthlady View Post
            Unfortunately I'm very well acquainted with IBSD. I too had the colonoscopies, endoscopies, stool sample analysis, etc. etc. I started taking Align probiotic and Florastor probiotics and my IBSD has improved. The only aloe vera that does not give me the runs is the Desert Harvest Aloe in small amounts. The other brands did not work for me. Heather's Tummy tamer and slippery elm both gave me mucus type diarrhea. Figuring out my food triggers helped an awful lot which are usually acidic, greasy, or overly spicy foods. A combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber helps me. I also found that what I eat first thing in the morning is crucial and sets the intestinal tone for the day as from what I've been told the bowels are the most active first thing in the morning. I had no problem adding some Meta Mucil at times as long as I made sure I was also eating soluble fiber food too. I'm wondering if just a plain old anti spasmodic would help-?
            Hi,
            Thanks so much for all the info.
            Right now, food in general is a trigger for my IBS-D, so I need to get that calmed down.
            By plain old anti spasmodic do you mean something like Imodium? Using that, as sparingly as possible, since I am super sensitive to drugs, or is there another med. that you had in mind?
            And if you don't mind, one more question, when you say soluable and insoluable fiber, do you mean in food form or as supplements?
            I hope you're feeling well.
            Laurie

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ibs flare

              Hi Jane,

              Thanks for your reply and helpful info.

              If you had it to do again, would you take the Citrucel?

              BTW, I also have fibro and used to have migraines(acupuncture helped those immensely). It IS interesting that so many of us who have IC have IBS, fibro and migraines. I had a friend who was a nurse, who said they call that the "red head syndrome"(applies even if you don't have red hair!), because red heads have super sensitive bodies.

              Sorry you're having the C problem. Can you take stool softeners, or do they flare your IC?

              Thanksagain,
              Laurie

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ibs flare

                Well, I would be really hesitant to try the, Citrucel again because I did get a major ic flare not too long after taking it. It really stopped the D, tho. I was impressed. Those ingredients just aren't ic friendly.

                You said Librax didnt help you? It didnt help as much as the Citrucel but it did cut down on it. I had to take it 30 min before every meal.

                I am currently taking miralax for my C. It works well, but I hate taking medicine instead of fiber.

                Yeah, I guess we do have the 'redhead" syndrome... Just in a different way!
                Jane
                Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

                Current Treatment:
                10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

                Used During Flares:
                Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

                Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
                Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

                Things that have not helped in the past:
                Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

                Also have migraines and IBS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ibs flare

                  Originally posted by my2boys99 View Post
                  Well, I would be really hesitant to try the, Citrucel again because I did get a major ic flare not too long after taking it. It really stopped the D, tho. I was impressed. Those ingredients just aren't ic friendly.

                  You said Librax didnt help you? It didnt help as much as the Citrucel but it did cut down on it. I had to take it 30 min before every meal.

                  I am currently taking miralax for my C. It works well, but I hate taking medicine instead of fiber.

                  Yeah, I guess we do have the 'redhead" syndrome... Just in a different way!
                  Nope, haven't tried the Librax yet. My doc just suggested it yesterday evening. I'm hesitant to use it because I am so drug sensitive, but might have to give it a try.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: ibs flare

                    for those with IBS, prelief and hydroxyzine are very constipating, and I've heard amitriptyline is too. Probiotics have saved my life - I have IBS-C, and I am doing something called "super dosing" under the care of a doctor. it's where you take 4-5 probiotics a day instead of just 1. It isn't forever, but for not it's made ALL the difference. However, one day of taking Prelief or 2 days of hydroxyzine - I can IMMEDIATELY feel it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: ibs flare

                      Originally posted by wilsonsh View Post
                      for those with IBS, prelief and hydroxyzine are very constipating, and I've heard amitriptyline is too. Probiotics have saved my life - I have IBS-C, and I am doing something called "super dosing" under the care of a doctor. it's where you take 4-5 probiotics a day instead of just 1. It isn't forever, but for not it's made ALL the difference. However, one day of taking Prelief or 2 days of hydroxyzine - I can IMMEDIATELY feel it.
                      Interesting.

                      Which probiotics are you using?

                      I have also found Prelief to be constipating, but this IBS-D bout is stronger than the Prelief!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: ibs flare

                        I use Ultra Flora by this company - I think it's called Metagenics? It has to stay in the fridge. I'm told it can help IBS-C or D, and the superdosing has SAVED me. oh my god. i feel so much better than I used to, digestion-wise. Still occasional issues, but overall - 85% improvement. I also take digestive enzymes from time to time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: ibs flare

                          Originally posted by wilsonsh View Post
                          I use Ultra Flora by this company - I think it's called Metagenics? It has to stay in the fridge. I'm told it can help IBS-C or D, and the superdosing has SAVED me. oh my god. i feel so much better than I used to, digestion-wise. Still occasional issues, but overall - 85% improvement. I also take digestive enzymes from time to time.
                          Thanks very much.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X