Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bacterial vaginosis, completely confussed!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metrogel

I have it right now and am about to start a course of Flagyl. I have Metrogel, but I don't like it. I feel like it gunks me up. I also have Clindesse, which is a one-dose cream that stays in you for 7 days, but again...gunkiness. Flagyl pills taste awful and you can't consume alcohol (and must be careful about toiletries with alcohol in them), but I'm not a drinker so I'll take it any day. I just had BV about a month ago, so I'm upset to hear that it becomes a recurring issue. But, I always had back to back yeast infections and I haven't had one of those in a while...maybe I just switched one infection for the other!
    For those of you who use metrogel, how often and how much do you use it?
    Have any of you used clindesse?
    -Laura

Diagnosed with IC October 2005

Comment

Flagyl makes me very ill. It's known to be extremely harsh. I felt very ill on it. I talked to my urologist and she said that it was nonsensical for my gynecologist to prescribe Flagyl anyway when Metrogel (Flagyl in vaginal form...same drug basically and you cannot drink while using Metrogel either) is easier on the system and specially designed for Bacterial Vaginosis. I felt the same way. Why take something systemic for what is in my vagina and that there is specific treatment for. I was actually thrilled to learn of Metrogel. It has been a lifesaver for me! The thing that thrilled me even more is that it does not bother my IC! It doesn't burn like other vaginal preperations. I didn't feel any gunkiness. Its a smooth gel and didn't do much of anything but cure my BV. I also didn't have all the side effects of the oral version (Flagyl). I get recurring BV after my periods and so I use Metrogel as a preventative more then anything else. I use one applicator-ful every month after my period (sometimes two days in a row) and it keeps me going good. My doctor said that people either do that or Boric Acid (which I will not do). I know that some women have done fine with Boric acid but I also know women who have burned their vagina's with it and it seeps out so if you wake up several times a night to go to the bathroom, it can seep out and touch the urethra...no thanks).
      Medical Conditions:

Severe IC
      IBS
      Vulvadynia
      Fibromyalgia
      GERD
      Polycystic Ovarian Disease
      Hypothyroidism
      Hashimoto's
      Epstein Barr
      Insulin Resistence
      Gout
      Breast Cancer survivor
      Monthly Vertigo (near periods)

Current medications:

Elavil 50mg
      Neurontin 300mg-600mgs per day
      Librax (lifesaver) as needed
      Percocet (1) 325mg for rescue flares only (usually 2-3 per month)
      Hydroxyzine 25mg's
      Azo Cranberry 3 tablets per day
      Cipro as needed to keep UTI's at bay
      Xanax 1mg at night for sleep
      Levothyroxine 1.75 per day
      Prevacid 30mg's per day
      Zantac 150 mgs per day
      Mucinex 600mg's for Fibro
      Diflucan 150mg's after each period
      Goldenseal to keep UTI's at bay (it works)!
      Prelief as needed

Comment

I've used Metrogel so I know it's smooth and everything but it takes forever to get out of there, and I didn't find it to be as smooth as it worked it's way out. It felt grainy to me. Like I tried having intercourse about 2 weeks after I used it, and it was all grainy still. I was told I didn't have to watch alcohol while using it...I had some wine with dinner while using it and felt fine, which is the major plus side to using it for me. However, I feel like the infection already put my vagina out of order, then I have to be out of order for a week while I treat it. Then, I am out of order for another week (maybe longer) while waiting for all the crap I shoved up there to work it's way out. I hate Flagyl, but at least my vagina is done in 7 days. However, that one applicator full idea around period time as a prophylactic dose doesn't sound too bad...as long as it doesn't take forever to come back out!
        -Laura

Comment

Please be careful Sunspot. I say this in all sincerety. If you ask your pharmacist or read the insert to metrogel, you are not supposed to have anything with alcohol in it for at least 48 hours. You may have gotten lucky but people have had severe reactions (less likely with the vaginal formula but they have ocurred and can be serious). I tell you this only to caution you. There is a component to Metrogel and Flagyl that is very similar to Disulfiram. When this interacts with alcohol it makes you sick...even in tiny amounts.

This is from Drugs.Com:

METRONIDAZOLE (Vaginal)

Some commonly used brand names are:

In the U.S.-

* MetroGel-Vaginal

In Canada-

* Flagyl
          * Nidagel

Category

* Anti-infective, vaginal

Description

Metronidazole (me-troe-NI-da-zole) is used to treat certain vaginal infections. It works by killing bacteria. This medicine will not work for vaginal fungus or yeast infections.

Metronidazole is available only with your doctor's prescription, in the following dosage forms:

* Vaginal Cream (Canada)
          * Gel (U.S. and Canada)
          * Tablets (Canada)

Before Using This Medicine

In deciding whether to use a medicine, the risks of using the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For vaginal metronidazole, the following should be considered:

Allergies-Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to metronidazole. Also tell your health care professional if you are allergic to any other substances, such as foods, preservatives, or dyes.

Pregnancy-Vaginal metronidazole has not been studied in pregnant women. Metronidazole given by mouth (e.g., Flagyl) has not been shown to cause birth defects. Before taking this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or if you may become pregnant.

Breast-feeding-Use is not recommended in nursing mothers since metronidazole passes into breast milk and may cause unwanted effects in the baby. In addition, metronidazole may change the taste of your breast milk. Your doctor may want you to stop breast-feeding and use this medicine for a short time. During this time the breast milk should be pumped or drawn out with a breast pump and thrown away. Two days after you finish using this medicine, you may go back to breast-feeding.

Children-Studies on these medicines have been done only in adult patients, and there is no specific information comparing use of vaginal metronidazole in children with use in other age groups.

Older adults-Many medicines have not been studied specifically in older people. Therefore, it may not be known whether they work exactly the same way they do in younger adults or if they cause different side effects or problems in older people. There is no specific information comparing use of metronidazole in the elderly with use in other age groups.

Other medicines-Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are using vaginal metronidazole it is especially important that your health care professional know if you are taking any of the following:

* Alcohol or alcohol-containing medicines (e.g., NyQuil, Geritol)-Metronidazole can cause serious side effects such as abdominal cramping, flushing, headache, nausea, or vomiting when it is used with alcohol

The one applicatorful has been working for me and I also sometimes have to zap myself with one Fluconazole (Diflucan generic) when I think it may be yeast instead of BV. Just be careful of the alcohol though (espeically with Flagyl in it's oral form you can get extremely ill there and you'll know it)!
          Medical Conditions:

Severe IC
          IBS
          Vulvadynia
          Fibromyalgia
          GERD
          Hypothyroidism
          Hashimoto's
          Epstein Barr
          Insulin Resistence
          Gout
          Breast Cancer survivor

Current medications:

Elavil 50mg
          Hydroxyzine 25mg's
          Prevacid 30mg's per day
          Zantac 150 mgs per day
          Prelief as needed

Comment

I have never taken alcohol with Flagyl and never would. In my first post, I noted the danger, along with the fact that I'm not a drinker, and avoiding alcohol is not an issue for me in the least. I was told that by not taking the medication orally, and by using it vaginally instead, you could avoid that danger. Apparently, I got lucky! However, I am not one to tempt fate. The future is not a concern.
            -Laura

Comment

Just trying to help you avoid what might be really unpleasant if you think that its ok to drink with Metrogel. I am sure that some have done it not knowing that it is the same thing as Flagyl. but not a good idea as you can see from what I posted from Drugs.Com. I am not one to tempt fate ever when it comes to drugs because I am very sensitive to medications. Hey, I learn more on here than I do from my own doctors. The women out here will give you all kinds of helpful information.
              Medical Conditions:

Severe IC
              IBS
              Vulvadynia
              Fibromyalgia
              GERD
              Hypothyroidism
              Hashimoto's
              Epstein Barr
              Insulin Resistence
              Gout
              Breast Cancer survivor

Current medications:

Elavil 50mg
              Hydroxyzine 25mg's
              Prevacid 30mg's per day
              Zantac 150 mgs per day
              Prelief as needed

Comment

of Flagyl. I have Metrogel, but I don't like it. I feel like it gunks me up. I also have Clindesse, which is a one-dose cream that stays in you for 7 days, but again...gunkiness. Flagyl pills taste awful and you can't consume alcohol (and must be careful about toiletries with alcohol in them), but I'm not a drinker so I'll take it any day. I just had BV about a month ago, so I'm upset to hear that it becomes a recurring issue. But, I always had back to back yeast infections and I haven't had one of those in a while...maybe I just switched one infection for the other!
                Agreed. Flagyl I always have to swallow by itself because if it melts and I taste it ...yuck!!!!! (pretty much on it a lot since it is used for my IBD) And I have gotten warned numerous times from doctors not to drink while on it...even though I have never had a drink in my life.
                Faith, Hope, and Love,
                Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Katrina, I remember reading that you've had a portion of your colon removed, correct me if I'm wrong. Would you mind if I asked you if you've had cancer of the colon? If it's too personal of a question then please don't answer. I'm curious cuz I've been looking into my family medical hystory to see if there is anything that can relate to the symptoms that I'm presently experiencing, and one of the things I know is that my grandfather had colon cancer. He went through a series of surgeries over his years which cut out portions of his colon to eliminate the cancer.
                  I HAVE LYME TOO

For info. on lyme disease in PA..
                  Visit: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PennsylvaniaLyme

God Bless You!
                  Glenda

Comment

I didn't have a portion of it removed....the ENTIRE THING has been removed. Not because of colon cancer but because of severe ulcerative colitis which I know can increase the risk of colon cancer. I was a very unique case...I was 10 when diagnosed, 12 when the colon was removed, and they believed I had it for two years prior to diagnosis and there is no Inflammatory Bowel Disease of any kind in my family except in me. I am still a unique case since my pouch is so severely inflammed and that is very, very unique....but I am still alive. I am willing to answer any questions that I can about my own health. I can't answer many questions about life before I was 12 since I had a severe seizure that made me loose my memory at that age.

Faith, Hope, and Love,
                    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Thank you for your fast response. I'm so genuinely sorry to hear all of this!
                      BLESSINGS!!!
                      I HAVE LYME TOO

For info. on lyme disease in PA..
                      Visit: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PennsylvaniaLyme

God Bless You!
                      Glenda

Comment

OMG Katrina!

I felt so terrible reading what you have been through. I'm glad you are with us too. You sound like a very strong person and always try helping others out here when you have such troubles of your own. I had no idea. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for sharing that.
                        Medical Conditions:

Severe IC
                        IBS
                        Vulvadynia
                        Fibromyalgia
                        GERD
                        Hypothyroidism
                        Hashimoto's
                        Epstein Barr
                        Insulin Resistence
                        Gout
                        Breast Cancer survivor

Current medications:

Elavil 50mg
                        Hydroxyzine 25mg's
                        Prevacid 30mg's per day
                        Zantac 150 mgs per day
                        Prelief as needed

Comment

Diddo

My experience has been much like IC Princess-every time I have had a bad flare I also had either BV or yeast. I too, found out if I take a Diflucan at the first sign of trouble, usually urethral burning and red vulva, I can head off a major flare. It would be very hard to convince me that IC in my case does not have a close association with yeast and BV on some level.
                          Sammie

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
                          Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

BV is totally corrected w/bioidentical estroil vaginally inserted at night. Gone in days never to appear again.
                            Contact Women's International Pharmacy for a Dr in your area. Google for more info. Cheap and effective. Also sex gets better for you and your spouse as all the female organs get stronger. Also keeps cancer down of the feminine parts. Many books on Bioidentical hormones are at amazon.com. If you are menopausal it is probably very low and can be used forever.
                            Fibro 15 yrs.
                            IBS 19 yrs, but removed Gluten and now almost normal gut/colon. Still have distended belly.
                            IC since 2005, with one remission.
                            Huge amts of chocolate, is what I believe caused IC.

Currently on:
                            Fem Dopilis (helpful during extreme pain, when I mess up on the diet)
                            Coconut Oil (1 to 3 TSP/day) Very helpful
                            Couchgrass Tea (great for Flairs)
                            Lots of suppliments/vitamins that are IC friendly

No Sugar, Gluten, Dairy diet as well as IC diet and low salt diet.
                            Rarely in pain if I follow the diet strictly. Trouble is I tend to cheat in one way or another too much. Like white wine!

Comment

Re: bacterial vaginosis, completely confussed!!!!

I found relief with D-Mannose, a natural supplement. I took it 5 days straight, one pill every 2 hours. Now I am taking it twice a day as a preventative measure.

Comment

Working...
                              X