Yeast is back after being gone for months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast is back after being gone for months

Got a call today, yeast cultured from my appt 3 weeks ago. Its a very odd strain. The thing is i had NO symptoms of it really. Some discharge that day but i thought it was ovulation.

I just fear putting in the cream and upsetting the delicate blance killing all the yeast and leaving the deadly bacteria, and bad yeast.

If i had symptoms it would be easier for me to treat.

Plus i have my period now, so i dont know if the cream would hold.

Any adivce. I really am getting tired of it all.

Lyme disease diagnosed 11/05
    vulvar vestibulitis diagnosed 2/06 -worst case she has ever seen..very bad.
    IC diagnosed with hydro/cysto- may 17, 2006

Over growth of lactobicilli found 8/07 treating with doxy.

Was able to get my first internal exam evaluation for PFD....wohoo 1/18/07:woohoo:

8/22/07- was able to get my first speculum exam, with pap

Strep D found in bladder with United medical labs May 2006
    2 strains of strep in stool culture 9/06
    high Strep ASO titre found 10/06

NEW MED

Capsasin cream-once a day for 20min,
    BUt wont lie it does burn

About to start valium supositories for PFD

Trigger point injections- oct 07

Current meds:
    Neurontin- 100mg at night supposed to work up to 300mg if i can tolerate it
    Zanaflex 2mg
    IC and low oxalate diet, no sugar diet
    Xanax for appointments to help relax me since they cause so much pain

Started PT 3/07, PT has really helped me in ways I never knew that it would

Meds ive tried
    Lyrica
    Klonopin
    Singulair
    Claritin
    Pyridium
    Soma- can barely tolerate half a pill
    Atropine cream- didnt seem to work, although i found out I was applying the creams wrong
    Estradiol cream
    Urelle- caused worse bladder spasm and retention

Various antibiotics for lyme which caused yeast and made the IC and VV worse

waiting for the next chronic illness to pop up

"Did you know?
    Every 15 seconds,
    a person is
    diagnosed with
    interstitial cystitis."
    Source: J. Dimitrakov, MD

HI! I'm just ending 15 days of Diflucan for yeast. I have a real problem with it since I take so much Nexium every day. Have you tried Diflucan? I also take Probiotics and acidophilius........between all that it seems to keep me balanced while fighting a yeast infection. Good luck......hope you get rid of the yeast....it's such a pain! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

thanks for your help. My yeast is resistant to the difflucan, i always have the odd rare strains.

Im wondering if maybe my internal PT is causing the yeast, since I got it after I started the internal PT and havent had it since 2006.

Was able to get my first internal exam evaluation for PFD....wohoo 1/18/07:woohoo:

NEW MED

Current meds:
      Zanaflex 2mg

Meds ive tried
      Lyrica
      Klonopin
      Singulair
      Claritin
      Pyridium
      Atropine cream- didnt seem to work, although i found out I was applying the creams wrong
      Estradiol cream

"Did you know?
      Every 15 seconds,
      a person is
      diagnosed with
      interstitial cystitis."

Comment

I'm taking a stronger probiotic now VSL# 3. My gastonterologist gave me some samples and I just got my first 30 day supply in the mail. It is expensive, but it has 450 billion bateria per sachet and my gastronterologist said it is the only probiotic that was studied, other we don't know what theyr are b/c it is not regulated. I thought that was a good point. I also take Nexiun which contributes to have infections. I tried to discontinued it and I couldn't. I'll try again in teh near future.

Today I have some yeast, mine is chronic and the *^7^& doesn't show in cultures so it is harder to treat! Does that happen to anyone else?
        It is a pain.

Recently I tried some yogurth (locally) my gyno approved it. I think it helped a lot but I discontinue the treatment b/c I was waiting for the cultures which came negative.

I won't use cream anymore they are too harsh. I used boric acid before and now I can't tolerate that anymore.
        Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
        UTIs since mid 2004
        Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
        IC dx 3/2006
        V V dx 12/2006
        Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
        Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
        Cysta Q (since 5/07)
        Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
        D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
        Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
        Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
        Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
        Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
        Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
        Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
        BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

SMR do you need a prescription for that probiotic?

Now that is scary that the yeast didnt culture out, i wonder if maybe i never did actually get rid of it either and maybe it just didnt grow on the culture.

around ovulation i get a discharge, which i thouht was normal, but that was when i had the culture done and now it shows yeast, so i guess it is yeast discharge.

not sure how i keep getting these very odd strains either.

thanks for replying, it makes me feel like im not alone in all this.

After getting the yeast call yesterday i was very down, today stayed in bed until 1PM, just beside myself with this illness.

NEW MED

Current meds:
          Zanaflex 2mg

Meds ive tried
          Lyrica
          Klonopin
          Singulair
          Claritin
          Pyridium
          Estradiol cream

"Did you know?
          Every 15 seconds,
          a person is
          diagnosed with
          interstitial cystitis."

Comment

Mich,

Sorry you're feeling down! I'm right there with you (not to suggest I truly know how awful you are feeling only you know that). I am just in this permanent bad mood from lack of sleep.

I have lots of yeast too - vaginally and in my mouth (got bad breath all the time now). Does vaginal yeast cause dryness? I never used to have dryness and now have a big problem with that.

Erica

Comment

Mitch,
              I hope you feel better now. I know this can be very frustaring but you have to stay strog to fight it back. Chin up!
              To change the perspective of your thoughts, the fact that you have a different strain is no worse than having a common strain that is resistant to diflucan. That happens to most of the women who get recurrent yeast infections. Including myself (I don't even know what strain I have..!)
              You just have to learn all you can about treatments and work with your doctor to treat it and finnaly get rid of it. Not easy but it is possible.
              I know what are the things that promotes my yeast and I avoid them or do prevent tehm. Like, I know I'll get a yeast infection before my period so I have been taking diflucan right before my period as a preventitive measure and havent' had a raging yeast infection right before my period like I used to before, since January. That is a big step for me.
              What I have is a mild overgrowth but is enough to damage the skin and cause irritation b/c it's been there for so long (it is getting better though..)

To answer your question, no, you don't need a precription for the probiotic I'm taking but I got it from my gastronterologist b/c she said that is the only one that was studied and thinks it'll help.
              Other probiotics brands... who knows what it is in there b/c it is not regulated. So I took the samples my doctor gave me and ordered online after. Will see how that goes.
              PlainJane,
              Have you asked your doctor for a medication to help you sleep?. Sleeping 8-9 hrs a day is a priority for me. I took ambien for a week to and now I take it only as needed. I'm on 15v mg of Elavuil and that helps me sleep throgh th enight. I also take benadryl sometimes before bed and that knocks me off.

It helped me to use yogurth locally as well.
              You can write me anytime you want. God bless.
              Last edited by Angeles; 04-29-2007, 11:43 AM.
              UTIs since mid 2004
              IC dx 3/2006
              V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
              Cysta Q (since 5/07)

BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Erica- Thanks for your post, this lyme stuff isnt easy....it just creates so many problems for us. to answer your question, yes yeast can cause a tight dry feeling, this can also be vulvadynia too. Have you had any cultures to see what you could take to treat the yeast? Do you have any burning. You really want to treat it because yeast can damage the tissue.

I really feel for you not being able to sleep and wish that I could do something to help, just keep researching...there has to be something that will help. Also, do you think that some of your bladder symptoms could be the yeast?

SM- thanks for your post, I am feeling a bit better now. I am back into the fight mode, started on my probiotic again (i take theralac) some natural supliments too. I was able to beat it before with natural meds and the probiotics, so im hoping i can do it again. Sad thing is I didnt even know i had a yeast infection at all, so this concerns me even more. I dont even know when i have one. thats how messed up the vulva is for me. Also, i fear it will get like it once was. Im trying to stay positive.

NEW MED

Current meds:
                Zanaflex 2mg

Meds ive tried
                Lyrica
                Klonopin
                Singulair
                Claritin
                Pyridium
                Estradiol cream

"Did you know?
                Every 15 seconds,
                a person is
                diagnosed with
                interstitial cystitis."

Comment

SMR218- Yeah I've asked my doctor and tried so many things I can't even count them. Medications, homeopathy, acupuncture, etc etc. Nothing works at all. I recently tried a medication that's supposed to be wonderful at increasing deep sleep. It seems to help everyone but I couldn't fall asleep on it. I have paradoxical reactions to things it's awful. Nothing works. I seem to be sleeping every other day. I got 26 hours without sleep then sleep and then the next day stay up 26 hours etc. I'm exhausted.

Mich - Yikes what do you mean it can damage the tissues? That's scary to me. I don't have burning but I have a new sensation that seems to have come about within the last month and I don't know how to describe it. I guess burning would describe it but it's not painful it's just uncomfortable. Truly burning isn't the right word I don't know what the word is.

You know what my doctor's yeast cultures came back negative! How can that be? I can physically SEE yeast and yet the test came back negative. What do I do? Now I'm concerned 'cause you're saying it can damage the tissues. I don't need more problems! What do I do??

I'm sure some of my bladder problems could be from yeast but this bladder thing started before the yeast/antibiotics so I think a lot of it is due to inflammation from Lyme disease.

Erica

Comment

Erica- Did the gyn do a yeast culture where they let it grow out, or did they just to the swab that tests for yeast under the microscope? I would just take probiotics and maybe add a yeast killer to your protocol like nystatin or difflucan (check with your Dr first) Also, are you sure it is yeast? It could be normal discharge(i notice i have more since I got lyme) or bacterial vaginosis even.

when was the last culture you had done? what did the gyno say about your discharge and pain?

Does it feel a bit raw or like it is sticking?

I didnt mean to scare you.

NEW MED

Current meds:
                    Zanaflex 2mg

Meds ive tried
                    Lyrica
                    Klonopin
                    Singulair
                    Claritin
                    Pyridium
                    Estradiol cream

"Did you know?
                    Every 15 seconds,
                    a person is
                    diagnosed with
                    interstitial cystitis."

Comment

Wow on VSL and still have a yeast infection...how much are you taking? No you don't need a prescription for it but it is very strong...most are around 10 billion cells...VSL is 450 billion or 225 billion.....so you should talk to a doctor about taking it.....though I must say most doctors do realize that that probiotics are very healthy.

Mich...I would really wonder if since it is around your period if something like boric acid or something that works on the ph of your vagina would be more what you need?

VSL has been a mirracle for me....I take a lot of it and it has done great things for my ulcerative inflammed pouch ...helps my IBS...and I think I have only had one accurance of yeast since starting it when yeast used to be a chronic thing that I struggled to get rid of.

Yikes what do you mean it can damage the tissues? That's scary to me. I don't have burning but I have a new sensation that seems to have come about within the last month and I don't know how to describe it. I guess burning would describe it but it's not painful it's just uncomfortable. Truly burning isn't the right word I don't know what the word
                      Sort of like how chronic uti's can dammage the bladder chronic yeast can lead to vulvodynia or overly sensitive vagina in some people.

to all!!!
                      Faith, Hope, and Love,
                      Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                      Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Cell damage

Yeast can cause nerve damage because it irritates the nerve endings, which become chronically inflammed, and release histamines even when no culturable yeast seems to be present. The yeast kind of burrows down into the cell walls, and creates a constant irritation. Eventually the nerves kind of form a loop like in a computer and set up a cycle of irritation, pain, almost regardless of what sets them off. They kind of become "touch me nots" which act up when something touches them (like jeans) or a chemical that is new touches the surface.
                        Your best bet is a round of anti fungals (for a month or more) and then constant use of a strong probiotic. Limit sugar in diet.
                        Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
                        Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

[QUOTE=Katrina;326173]Wow on VSL and still have a yeast infection...how much are you taking? No you don't need a prescription for it but it is very strong...most are around 10 billion cells...VSL is 450 billion or 225 billion.....so you should talk to a doctor about taking it.....though I must say most doctors do realize that that probiotics are very healthy."
                          Katrina,
                          I just started with VSL very recently, I was taking other probiotics before.
                          Now I take 1 VSL #3 sachet per day, I mix it with danactive yogurth right before breakfast. One sachet has 450 billion probiotics. Should I take more than one sachet per day? How long did it take to start working for you (for yeast infections)?
                          I just talked to my doctor and I emailed him this article I want to discuss with him a few items in the article since we have been fighting my yeast infections for a long time. The article if from a sample letter from the NVA, please read the one on yeast infections and vulvar vetibulitis, copy this website address in you address bar. http://www.nva.org/patient_services/NVA_Fall2000.pdf

We'll keep in touch! ( I don't knwo how to do this quote thing so I highlithed it)
                          UTIs since mid 2004
                          IC dx 3/2006
                          V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
                          Cysta Q (since 5/07)

Comment

My doctor left it up to me on how much vsl to take ...since for me it its management of ulcerative colitis...I went to VSL's website and looked at the amount they recommend for jpouch management started with that and worked my way to what helped enough without getting too thick of stools for me...I switched to capsules when the capsules came out and now take 225 mg capsuls...4 of them...twice a day....I was doing half of that before but lately my IBD has been flaring!!!!! When I realized more helped I took more.

When I did the packets I did one or two ....which helped but my current flare has me taking more....and like I said doc left it up to me to determine how much I needed since basically this is my only chance to not be on immunosupressants or something scary like that!!!

When I quote I usually use the quote button last one on the end if your in quick reply
                            and just copy and past what I am quoting in between the codes that come up. Hope that helps!
                            I will check out that site in a bit!

I should probably add...my dose is with me on antibiotic treatment at the same time!
                            Faith, Hope, and Love,
                            Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                            or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                            Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Should I be taking more probiotics or you think this is enough?

Thank you guys. I'm going to start on a 10 day round of Diflucan and I'm watching my diet being a lot better about it. I'll see how I feel after the 10 days and if it's still bad I"ll talk to my doctor.

Where can I buy the VSL probiotic?

These are the probiotics I'm on now:

-Threelac
                              -Femdophilus
                              -Udo's super 8
                              -Florastor
                              -Bio-K
                              -Udo's oral lozenges

Do you think that is a sufficient amount of probiotic or would it be worth it to add the VSL probiotic? I'm on azithromycin and Bicillin injectable.

Erica

Comment

Working...
                              X