oral antifungals: toenail fungus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oral antifungals: toenail fungus

OK, so this isn't a yeast infection post, but I didn't know which category to put it in. I'm pretty sure I have a toenail fungus infection; I won't be able to see a dermatologist to confirm until March. I've probably had it for about 5 months, but I didn't realize what it probably was until about 3 months ago and I then started to do what I could myself with lots of self-care: vinegar foot soaks, tea tree oil, lamisil cream, trimming and filing the nail until thin, no toenail polish, wearing open shoes in the house, etc. Now I'm going to ask a pharmacist about the special nail polishes- maybe that will be more effective while I wait for the derm appt.

Researching this topic I've read the only way to actually "cure" toenail fungus, in contrast to keeping it under control (which is apparently what the local treaments do) is to take oral antifungals. I've read some posts about people having bladder flares taking lamisil orally. So what do people do about toenail fungus? Is the general consensus that oral lamisil causes flares? Do people just live with the fungus? I am fairly young and the thought of never being able to get rid of this is annoying- I mean, no toenail polish forever? (The polish apparently keeps the nail from breathing which helps the fungus grow). Plus constantly having to apply local meds to my toes? Any success or warning stories about IC and toenail fungus treatments would be highly appreciated!
    Symptoms began: January 2010
    Diagnosed with IC: May 2010

Began with burning during/after urination, frequency, urgency, urethral spasms. Recurrent UTIs since 2002. Pelvic pain.

Current Rx:
    Glucosamine/MSM tablets daily (1/2 a 1500 mg tablet Kirkland brand)
    IC diet
    stretches/relaxation/sitzbaths/heating pad

Used in the Past:
    Gepan Instills (Chondroitin sulfate) 1x/mo until Sept 2010
    Loratidine (Antihistamine)
    Tilidin (opiate analgetic not commonly prescribed in U.S.) as needed
    Cystoscopy w/Hydrodistention: May 2010 (found this temporarily relieved my spasms and urgency)
    Reside in Germany

Sorry, but I can answer any of your questions.

Since you have to wait until March to see your derm, perhaps you could get in to see a podiatrist much sooner. I know when I need to see my podiatrist, I get in within a day or so.

Good luck.

Comment

toenail fungus

Hi,
      I agree with Irfan. You should try to see a Podiatrist if possible.

I might be a bit prejudiced in that direction since my husband is retired Podiatrist, but in general they have more info. on treating toenail fungus.

For my fungus I am using fungoid tincture(scrip needed), which a very old, and maybe not used anymore, treatment. It does take a very long time to work, (can take a year), but I prefer not to take oral medications,(sorry, I have no experience with oral meds and IC).

If your fungus is on one nail, they can just remove the nail. I know that sounds awful, but it's really not. After healing, you're left with a hard nail bed that looks like a nail, you can even polish it. Obvioulsy if the fungus is on all of your nails, that's not an option.

In the meantime, it sounds like you're doing all the right things . RE taking oral anitfungal meds, do you have a doctor who is treating your IC, who you can call and ask without having to go and see him/her?

I hope you can find something that will work for you.

Good luck,
      Laurie

Comment

There are natural remedies to get rid of toenail fungus as well. I thought soaking the feet in a apple cider vinegar mixture can help, but do not quote me on this, I cannot remember what all exactly goes into the mixture. You could look it up online and maybe find more info on it. A podiatrist is only going to want to prescribe you anti-fungal meds.

Jen

Comment

Re: oral antifungals: toenail fungus

Originally posted by blueberry72 View Post
          OK, so this isn't a yeast infection post, but I didn't know which category to put it in. I'm pretty sure I have a toenail fungus infection; I won't be able to see a dermatologist to confirm until March. I've probably had it for about 5 months, but I didn't realize what it probably was until about 3 months ago and I then started to do what I could myself with lots of self-care: vinegar foot soaks, tea tree oil, lamisil cream, trimming and filing the nail until thin, no toenail polish, wearing open shoes in the house, etc. Now I'm going to ask a pharmacist about the special nail polishes- maybe that will be more effective while I wait for the derm appt.

Researching this topic I've read the only way to actually "cure" toenail fungus, in contrast to keeping it under control (which is apparently what the local treaments do) is to take oral antifungals. I've read some posts about people having bladder flares taking lamisil orally. So what do people do about toenail fungus? Is the general consensus that oral lamisil causes flares? Do people just live with the fungus? I am fairly young and the thought of never being able to get rid of this is annoying- I mean, no toenail polish forever? (The polish apparently keeps the nail from breathing which helps the fungus grow). Plus constantly having to apply local meds to my toes? Any success or warning stories about IC and toenail fungus treatments would be highly appreciated!
          Blueberry- did tou ever resolve your fungal nail infection? I have tried various otc creams/sprays/vicks vapour rub and nothing is working and im scared it's spreading! Going to book in with podiatrist but scared taking oral lamasil etc could cause a flare?

Thanks, Sarah

Comment

I had toenail fungus in both big toes a few years ago, right after moving to humid Florida and before IC, and the way I got rid of it was to soak the toes for twenty minutes twice daily in vinegar/water solution for a whole year (the big toe toenail grows slowly). In between soaking, I applied tea tree oil to the affected toes. Also, I went barefoot as much as possible (this was easy in Florida), and I used a blow-dryer on my toes after showering. I found that the key was to do all these things religiously. If I let up, the fungus seemed to get worse quickly. I refused to go the Lamisil route, since it is a powerful drug with some serious side effects, and I certainly wouldn't take it now with IC. Nowadays I keep a close eye on my toenails and always use the dryer on them after showering. The fungus has never come back, but it did take a solid year of home treatment to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane10 View Post
              I had toenail fungus in both big toes a few years ago, right after moving to humid Florida and before IC, and the way I got rid of it was to soak the toes for twenty minutes twice daily in vinegar/water solution for a whole year (the big toe toenail grows slowly). In between soaking, I applied tea tree oil to the affected toes. Also, I went barefoot as much as possible (this was easy in Florida), and I used a blow-dryer on my toes after showering. I found that the key was to do all these things religiously. If I let up, the fungus seemed to get worse quickly. I refused to go the Lamisil route, since it is a powerful drug with some serious side effects, and I certainly wouldn't take it now with IC. Nowadays I keep a close eye on my toenails and always use the dryer on them after showering. The fungus has never come back, but it did take a solid year of home treatment to get rid of it.
              Thanks Jane this is helpful! Can I ask was it just regular vinegar you used or a particular type like apple cider etc?

Thanks again- Sarah

Comment

Sarah, I used white distilled vinegar in a ratio of one part vinegar to one part water. I put it in a small basin (just enough to submerge my toes) and changed the mixture every other day. I soaked my toes while I worked on the computer, so I wouldn't be looking at the clock constantly. Also, I made sure to keep the nails really trim and to clean under them daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane10 View Post
                  Sarah, I used white distilled vinegar in a ratio of one part vinegar to one part water. I put it in a small basin (just enough to submerge my toes) and changed the mixture every other day. I soaked my toes while I worked on the computer, so I wouldn't be looking at the clock constantly. Also, I made sure to keep the nails really trim and to clean under them daily.
                  Thanks Jane I will give it a try!

Sarah x

Comment

Working...
                  X