Does Candida lead to IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Candida lead to IC?

I have been doing a lot of research on the internet, and it is surprising to me how many people are convinced that Candida yeast overgrowth in the body can lead to IC, as well as other diseases such as fibromyalgia. I began to have symptoms of chronic yeast and fungus infections in my vagina, which progressed to my groin and all the way up the cleft in my buttocks. The itching, pain, redness and irritation are maddening. I took Nystatin for over a month, things got somewhat better, but never disappeared. Then after beginning the Candida diet I got very, very sick. Of course I had to stop the Nystatin, and slowly all the symptoms returned, even though I ingest NO sugar or yeast. I've lost so much weight that my wedding ring and clothes no longer fit at all. I am so incredibly frustrated and discouraged as I feel I did all of this for nothing. Wondering how many of us had symptoms of Candida or other yeast infections prior to developing the symptoms of IC? It would be interesting if we could conduct some kind of poll of the IC Network members to find out. There has got to be some kind of common denominator in this disease, it does not just appear out of nowhere. Many with IC also have IBS, and according to my research Candida can destroy the GAG layer of both the bowel and the bladder. That cannot be a coincidence. Anyway, just some thoughts. Am seeing a new doctor next week and hoping that he may have some recommendations on how to permanently deal with the Candida in my system without it completely disabling me in the process. So glad to have this forum to share ideas and to learn - thanks to everyone who takes the time to offer support to those of us who are greatly struggling

Hello WashingtonJen. I'll be the first to answer your poll! I've never had candida or thrush that I am aware of. Your theory sounds very plausible though and well researched. I'm sure for a large number of IC'ers it is/was the cause.

Jem x

Comment

Hi Jen ~
      Just wanted to say that I developed problems swallowing about the same time as my IC symptoms.....during my endoscopy, the doc diagnosed me with Candida Esophagitis. Interesting you're asking. Never had any problems of any sort my whole like until all this.

I'm so sorry you're having such problems. Take care and know that we are here for each other.

Ginger
      Never heard of IC til suspected....Never knew so many suffer from it. Praying for a cure. I've found answers...so can you...keep the hope.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery of surgery for bladder susp & hysto: painful/urge/freq urination up to 50 times a day, pain walking, even water hurts.
      8/2009 Susp IC; 1/2010 Treatment began; 2/2010 Diag PFD, PT, Surg remove mesh; 5/2010 Surg, 2nd bladder repair, vag vault/sm int prolapse repair, IC confirmed in surg; 7/2010 Diag Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones,
      8/2010 Surg gallbladder
      TREATMENTS (updated 4/15)
      IC Diet since 8/2009 (Able to vary 4/15)
      Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills 1xDay
      Aloe Vera Capsules, (2) 2xDay, Loratadine 1xDay
      Pantoprazole, Prelief, Pyridium up to 3xDay, Premarin Cream 3xWeek
      *DISCONTINUED since feeling better: Celexa 10mg daily*, Fiber supp*,
      Gabapentin 12/2011 worked well *, Macrodantin 100mg after instill*, Probiotics*, PT-PFD*, Valium Vag Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5mg *
      PROB MEDS: Elavil, up to 50mg 1/2011 ret&hbp, Urelle ret, Vesicare ret

Comment

I struggled with yeast in the beginning as well, and was on the anti candida diet for about 3 months before I lost so much weight I had to stop. I defiantley believe that yeast played a role in IC because I was on antibiotics, loads of them before IC and soon after is when I developed it... after the worst yeast infection of my life.... I did SO much research in yeast in the beginning, and it does seem like this is very plausable. I eat normally now though, and my body seems to be ok. Elmiron has been helping the most ....

Jenn
        28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

I too struggled with yeast in the beginning, had to do yeast diet for 3 months and be on dyflucan and then the gyn finally just told me to go on birth control to stop it. I haven't gone off the birth control to see if it would come back yet. But I've had multiple problems before that too so I don't know what caused my IC but I do know it played a part in it all for sure. I'm praying for a solution.
          ~Michelle~

I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me Strength! Philippians 4:13 (He never gives us more then we can handle, even though it feels like we can't handle it He gives us continued strength to keep going.)

Short view of my story:
          Trying to learn as much as I can. I'm 27 and married for 5 years and have Been trying for children for 4 years. Have never had health issues or infections before all this. I was diagnosed with a puitary tumor (non cancerous) 2 years ago found out by high prolactin levels and MRI. I took dostinex to shrink the puitary tumor for a little over 6 months it made the tumor smaller but didnt work with my body and caused alot of pain so I stopped that. Then last year in march 2011 I was diagnosed with a large cyst on my right ovary and had the cyst removed through laparoscopic surgery. And ever since then I've had these painful symptoms of infection, acidic burning pain, bladder spasms, frequent urination then I had a cystoscopy with hydrodistension and now newly diagnosed with IC Feb 1 2012 Also now diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. And currently in Physical therapy for that.

What im trying:
          Elmiron 100mg 3 times a day
          Vesicare 1 a day
          Acidophilus pills 2 times a day
          baking soda baths
          IC diet
          Prelief when needed
          Muscle relaxer once a day

What Ive tried and no longer on or didnt work for me:
          Reclipsen birth control for yeast infections... it helped that go away but caused me to get ovarian cysts.
          Estrace for vaginal dryness didnt work for me caused me to be in pain.

Havent tried or been disgnosed with anything else yet. Still in waiting process of healing. It seems when my stress levels are down and I follow the diet very well it helps me alot. Im taking things one day at a time and trying my best.

Comment

I have chronic yeast problems...have for a very long time. It gets so bad you can see it floating in my urine and at times clogging my catheter. A couple months ago I also had skin outbreaks all over my body because of it. haven't found a long term solution that works for me yet. I also tend to get both the yeast and bacterial infections simultaneously
            Tried Elmiron, Elavil, Atarax, Botox...with no success and/or adverse reactions.

Current: self administered bladder installations (down to 2x a day per dr advice), Lamictal, Lexapro, Lorazepam, Zyrtec occasionally, Prelief, Tramadol, Oxycodone, Trimethoprim at bedtime, Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Flector patch, Tens Unit, warm baths, other forms of heat therapy, IC diet, Gluten/Wheat free diet, vitamins and Premarin because of hysterectomy and osteoporosis.

Have difficulty getting pain under control from IC and other health issues. I've pretty much accepted it as part of my life.

I am thankful for supportive family and friends. Not everyone is supportive all of the time, but I am so thankful for the support I do receive.

I pray for healing for all and for a cure.

Comment

I know I certainly fit the criteria for candida!
              How does one get a Dr to listen and believe you?
              I was put on estrace cream and since them I've been full blown !

Comment

My thought is that there may be many causes for IC. In my case, my IC symptoms struck during the recovery period from a major abdominal surgery. I suspect that the IC was already there in a dormant stage, which was brought out by the trauma of the surgery. I have only had one yeast infection in my life and that was at least ten years before I developed IC.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Donna,that is very strange that after a surgery you have IC.
                  My initiation to IC was after a colonoscopy,the very next day I was full blown and on fire!
                  I don't see much discussion on this about nerve damage,but I suspect that's a factor also.

Comment

Find a naturopath! This is helpful if you suspect that candida is part of the problem, I know it was for me. When I started to eat cleaner and reduce the sugar I felt better.

Jenn
                    28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Originally posted by Jinny Jean View Post
                      Find a naturopath! This is helpful if you suspect that candida is part of the problem, I know it was for me. When I started to eat cleaner and reduce the sugar I felt better.

Jenn

I know this is an old thread, but all my problems in my bladder began when I had a yeast infection. I have been diagnosed with Overactive Bladder caused by nerve damage. I am not sure what I believe, to be honest! But I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to Candida overgrowth. I was on a Candida diet for 4 weeks and noticed no improvement but I have a yeast infection again! I think the original one in Feb never went away. I wonder if all of this would straighten out if there was no more yeast. I am not as rigid on the Candida diet but I eat 80-90% of the week clean with no carbs, no refined sugar, and no caffeine. I have also lost a lot of weight doing this, which is a good thing, but no change in my original symptoms.

Comment

Re: Does Candida lead to IC?

I believe candida can cause IC. Mine started out with severe yeast infections. Then I got a wicked UTI that last 8 months. I now am suffering with a yeast infection again. Awful. And naturally my symptoms are worse. Urgency, frequency and burning. Ask you dr for a fungal urine test. It does take about 30 days to come back. I should have my results by next week. I'll keep you all posted. I heard probiotics are great in ridding candida. However any creams or anything we use vaginally will cause yeast infections as well. Hormone creams, suppositories, etc. I did the diet too and yet nothing. And no meds seem to help me. Diflucan for yeast. I also have IBS severe hemroids and yeast infections. I don't get UTIs much. The one I got back in Sept did last til April but that was first one I had in 9 years. All I know is that these darn yeast infections makes this pain worse. On Fire!!!!!! And I've already been burning almost a year straight now. Symptoms of UTI never went away. Then add on a nasty yeast infection. Yet my dr won't prescribe me Diflucan. Morons.

Comment

I'm sure this topic has been approached, but I will post anyway.
                          After doing tons of research, I keep coming back to fungal overgrowth as possibly being the root cause of my IC.
                          I believe this because my problem seemed to start after being on two different antibiotics for a stubborn UTI.
                          I tried my best to cure the UTI naturally, with no success.
                          Anyhoo, from what I understand, the antibiotics kill off the good bacteria and allow the yeast (we all have it) to grow out of control.
                          Apparently, the fungi get into the bladder and produce little roots that dig into the bladder lining, creating holes much like leaky gut does to the intestines. Like a sieve, these perforations allow substances to penetrate and cause pain.
                          Many, believing as I now do, have gone on a Candida diet, but complained that the diet made them sick and they stopped. I have read that when the fungi start to die, they produce toxins that will make one sick for about a week. Because of this I think that the diet should be started slowly. Also, a good probiotic seems to help.
                          From what I understand, it takes a long time to gain back the yeast balance.
                          I'm working on it and have gone off all sugars and fruits. My biggest downfall is I can't seem to get off the breads.

Comment

Did your test came back showing Candida? Did your doctor prescribe Diflucan? I believe that it's not good for the liver. Maybe that is why he was hesitant?

Comment

Working...
                            X