Migraines!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraines!!!

Help! I am on day 3 of the worst migraine. I get nausea and visual disturbances with migraine headaches. Thnk god I only get migraines a few times a year. Anyone know of a migraine med that works great but does not interfere with narcotic pain meds and something that will not irritate my bladder? Excedrin Migraine will kill my bladder! Imitrex only takes the edge off and I do not think I can mix it with Norco. I must take daily pain meds for IC. I tried Relpax and it gave me chest pain and it made my headache go away for a little while until it wore off and then it was worse than ever. I got a shot off torodol once by my reg MD and it worked pretty much. I might go see him this afternoon if it continues. I took ultram a little while ago and my headache pretty much went away but I know as soon as it wears off it will be back. This sucks! I have major bladder pain and now a migraine! Anyone have experiences with migraine meds and know of one that works good without making their IC worse? Thanks!!!

I take Maxalt for migraines; it seems to work for me but we are all different. Most of the time, the Maxalt works for me on the first dose, but it does occasionally take two doses 8 hours apart to get rid of those several-day-long migraines (or if I wait too long to take it).
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hi,

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I too have bad migraines and IC. I take a seizure medication called Zonegran (Zonisamide) that completely takes all my headaches away. It has been a lifesaver. Now if I can find a med like that for IC.......

Hope you feel better
      Kennedy

Promise of a cure........

Comment

I am so sorry that you are suffering - hopefully by now you are feeling better. I take Zomig for my migraines, 5mg, which is a higher dose than normally prescribed and it seems to work pretty well for me. I had tried Imitrex, Relpax, Maxalt, Frova and several others before. I think it's a pretty individual thing, though. I hope you find some relief soon!
        Diagnosed IC 2/15/07Uterine fibroids
        Ovarian cysts
        Topamax for Migraines

Comment

Fortunately I don't have migraines, but my youngest son's wife does --- and she has discovered that sugar is a huge problem for her. She was having three and four a week and had many, many tests and tried lots of different treatments. Avoiding sugar seems to be the single thing that has helped most.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Migraine meds really are an "individual thing" and some may work for you for a while and then completely stop.

I usually use a nasal spray called Migranal. It contains an ingredient called DHE which up until just a few years ago could only be injected intraveneously. Frova works well and is in pill form. Call your doctor and see if he/she has any samples that they can give you. Try to get meds ASAP. The longer the migraine goes untreated the worse it will be and harder to treat.

Blessings-
            Wendi
            IC symptoms began in 1975; diagnosed in March 2006.
            Other conditions: PFD, Migraine, VV, Total Abd Hysterectormy on 12/27,06 for Cervical Cancer, Fibromyalgia.
            Current Daily Meds: Roxicet, Methadone, Flexoril, Flomax
            I use Prayer, Yoga, Relaxation Breathing and TENS to help relieve stress, anxiety and pain- LOTS of make up to hide my true identity!

myspace page:www.myspace.com/armslee

Comment

Maxalt is the only thing that works for me. Kinda expensive, but has no side effects (all the other ones knocked me out), so its worth it. Usually works for me with just one dose, sometimes if I have to take another dose it will make me have frequency for a couple of hours, but never any pain. I've also tried peppermint oil, you rub it on the area that hurts, works sometimes, helps to relax tension in my temples, and it doesn't interfere w/ IC at all. Hope you find what works for you. Migraines are just no fun, hard to do much of anything when you have them!!!

Comment

I take Fiorinal 3. I'm not on any narcotics so cant answer whether or not this would interfere with your meds.

Feel better soon!
                D
                (\__/)
                (o.O )
                (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

I really feel for you I have getting a lot of migraines lately and am struggling to figure out my triggers and what in the world I do differently on the days that I don't get one I am to the point where I am always taking exederin migraine with a lot of prelief and baking soda and probably a pyridium since I am doing this so much. Been journaling everyday to see what may be causing them....not yet sure yet but doing a lot of research and struggling for answers myself!
                  http://icandme.9.forumer.com/index.p...t=0&#entry2130 headache
                  Faith, Hope, and Love,
                  Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                  Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Chronic tension headaches and migraine plague me, too

Has anyone been prescribed Elavil for headache (migraine or tension) prevention? I was told to start at 10 and work up to 75 mg. I'm kind of concerned about side effects like anxiety, depression, even though I read that it should take care of those things. I'd be interested to hear from someone who uses Elavil for that.

Also, I had a shot (1mg) of DHE and two shots of Reglan (2 mg) and experienced a feeling of anxiety, restlessness and overall ill feeling last night. Today I just have stomach problems and slight pain in my head. The doctor wants me to try Migranal anyway, but I'm concerned it will do the same thing to me. Not sure where to turn... Thanks in advance!
                    Blessings, Susan

IC -- August 2006 Dx cysto w/ hydro. Treatment: Prosed DS as needed, Prelief, Elmiron 100 mg in morning/ 200 mg. at night before bed, hydroxyzine 25 mg at night

Vulvar Vestibulitis -- Dx February 2007

Migraine -- started 1985-89, progressed in 2002 and worsened at end of 2006 with onset of TMJ disfunction.

TMJ Disfunction --clenching/grinding my teeth at night. Dx December 2006

Fibromyalgia -- Dx April 2008

Mild depression/anxiety disorder
                    (Not completely cured, but on-so-much better. :woohoo

"But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold." (Job 23:10 NIV)

Comment

I tried it once, but it didn't work for me. My mom's been on 75mg/day of Elavil for the past 15yrs and it knocked her migraines down from everyday to 2-3 a year!!!

Comment

Migraines

I use Fioricet. It works the best for me and is pretty cheap. I also use ultram so it doesn't cause any problems for me.

I also take elavil, but that is to sleep at night. It shouldn't make you nervous but just tired until you get used to it. Also AVOID sunlight with it. It can give you hyperpigmintation. Unfortunatly I know that first hand.

Goodluck...I know how frustrating and painful it can be.

Laura

Comment

Working...
                        X