No announcement yet.

An embarrasing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill never forget my first pap. I was so nervous! But I knew I had to go cause my mom had had early stages of ovarian cancer a few years before, and I knew that the best treatment for cancer was prevention. I go every July without fail! Its not my favorite apt, but I feel strong when I go because I know Im doing something that could possibly save my life, and it keeps me secure in knowing that when its time for babies, that I should be healthy enough for it. I have friends who dont go to their annual and it totally freaks me out.

You sound like a smart and strong person. Dont let your family try to tell you something that is wrong. You seem to know the right answers!

Good luck!
    Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Comment

Amy, you did such a fine job of explaining why to have a pap smear done every year...you said everything the way I tried to explain it to my daughter, and frankly, you did a better job of it than I did with my daughter. I hope that I helped you some Mary, with my pm...I was/am angry at your sister and your family for filling your head full of outright lies and mistruths about your body, and your mind for that matter.

We're here to listen, and to answer any questions you have. It doesn't need to be embarassing with us. You've got these great ladies here and you can pm me or anyone else with questions you don't feel comfortable asking on the board.

Please, just stop listening to the things your family fills your head with. They obviously do not have your best interests at heart, and that makes me very sad. At least with us you'll hear the truth!

Hugs, Sandy
      *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
      *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
      *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Oh hey, I am with the rest, don't you worry about a thing!! I was a virgin when I had my first pap done. Oh I remember being so danged nervous! And it's STILL no picnic! Ugh!

I am with Amy on that if you've used a tampon, it's the same thing as a pap -and you are still a virgin until you have had actual sex! Don't worry about being as some say "damaged goods", lol. You are just fine the way you are - and any way you want to be! And too as for the stretching out - the vagina is very resilient! It's stretchy just like Amy said, and I will tell you what - I'd like to meet a guy who can say for sure he'd "know" whether you were a virgin or not! I say horse pucky! Everyone is different, I am sure there are some who have smaller vaginal canals and some who have larger, just like breasts etc. So, don't worry yourself over that at all!!

And I too, like petrie, lol have to constantly be told to "scooch" down, lol. I am terrified I'll scooch too much and end up in my doc's lap, lol. I don't think there is one woman who is at total ease having a pap - it's such a vulnerable position, I mean geesh, it's all hanging out there!

It's got to be upsetting when you hear something - especially from family like that. But as the rest have said, don't worry about asking anything around here, we'll always give you the best answers we can, and if we can't - we can point you in the right direction to find answers! We girls gotta stick together!

BIG Hugs,
        Tracey
        Hugs,
        Tracey
        How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
        IC dx'd Nov 2004
        Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
        Possible IBS
        Current IC Meds
        Vistaril 25mg in the evening
        Previous IC Meds taken:
        Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
        Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
        Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
        Others:
        Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
        Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
        Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
        Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Sandy, I pm'd you back and yes it did help me. I am sooooooo glad to hear you have had the talk with your daughter the way Amy explained it.

Amy, thanks for explaining the whole thing to the way you did. I really didn't know the vagina was like a rubber band. At least I can laugh some about this now and not cry.

You guys are all the best people in the world!! I sort of have the scooching down to a tee as long as it is on the same table. The first time I had to scooch I did almost scooch into the doc's lap. Then I forgot to scooch back up before getting off and almost fell on to the floor. I was thinking about the one time my Uro did the heparin. (I always told them it would be so much easier to have it done in the dark). The lighting wasn't good then. They have since put in new lamps. So , the uro couldn't see and told the nurse to get the flash light. I thought oh great and really good view of it all. Plus the flash light was a free gift from the people trying to push pills or something.

Ok, one more question. That shot to prevent cervical cancer. It is only good before the woman has sex not after. So not having sex can still cause cancer there? I have given up going to have it done again but maybe I shoudln't? Uro keeps telling me I need to have a whole physical and take care of ME and stop listening to EVERYONE else. I do make him mad at times because I need soemthing tested and he can't do it.

Thanks again everyone! I'm actually laughing now and stopped crying.

Comment

LOL, also in the "assumed position" my legs will shake, lol. It's hilarious, cause I am so nervous! And the gyno I used to go to way back when had the paper gowns (the one I see now has cloth, lol) and paper sheets - while laying there, I would end up shredding the top of it!! LOL!!!! Not to mention all the sweaty little palm prints...

I wish they'd have had the shot a long time ago. My first fiance (can we say serial cheater?!?) gave me HPV, the gift that keeps on giving...ugh. So, I am very very vigilent about having my pap every year. I would definitely ask my doc about it since you haven't had sex yet, etc. It can't hurt to get some info! And yes yes yes - you need to have it done every year - your doc is right, you need to take care of you!!! Having done like that can catch things early (be it whatever, lol)!! There are still things that can get ya even if you haven't had sex! And I should add that are very treatable if caught early etc, lol. Didn't want to scare you thinking there are things lurking just ready to attatch themselves to your "private areas", lol!!! It's just good practice to be seen every year!!!!
            Hugs,
            Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
            IC dx'd Nov 2004
            Possible IBS
            Current IC Meds
            Previous IC Meds taken:
            Others:

Comment

I wrote you back and I really MEANT everything I said, ok????? :::::hugs:::::
              I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. I've got more to say (don't I always? LOL) to ease your mind....gotta go to my belated valentines dinner with the bf, but I WILL be back! Yes, that's a threat! LOL
              *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Hi,
                I agree with all the others. I just turned 45 and am still a virgin. i don't believe that just because I have had pap smears (which is very important even if you are not sexually active and a virgin) that my virginity has been lost. I agree that you have to have intercourse to no longer be a virgin. Don't feel bad about waiting- I dont
                Nancy

Comment

Human papilloma virus is what causes 70% of cervical cancers. It doesn't account for all of them, but the only way to get HPV is through sex. So you're clear on that one. The other 30% are genetics and all the other crazy, mixed up cells that sometimes go haywire and cause cancer. I know that they recommend the series of shots for girls my daughter's age (14) prior to their first sexual experience, but I don't know anything about adult women taking it. I will look it up for you though and see what I find out. I had my daughter get the shot, and explained very thouroughly what it is and why she's getting the series.

One's sexuality is a very, very personal choice, and nobody should ever have a say in what you do with your own body. EVER. It's NOT debatable. I think it's great that you guys have chosen to stay virgins til the time is right. If I could take back my first experience I surely would because it was not at all what I wanted it to be.

Have some faith in yourself Mary. You need to value yourself more and know that the decisions you have made for yourself make up who you are....and we like who you are very much! If someone else doesn't, then that is their loss, not yours!

Comment

Tracey, you are so funny! I have a problem knowing about dust bunnies and dust mites. Now I have to worry about private part bugs? Oh, the first time I had the physical all they had were paper gowns. By the time the physical was over I had to hold on to what was left together. Ha It just kept tearing every time I moved. I like the cloth ones much better. Uro has a guy who handles all the supplies and to save money he went with the cheaper paper half gowns for just covering below. I told the nurse I didn’t really like them because they were see through. It was like lying there with nothing covered over. They went back to the old ones. Sorry you got the HPV from your old boyfriend. Won’t it go away? I think it is awful for him to have done that to you since he knew what he had I am sure.

Sandy, I think that is wonderful you explain things to your daughter. Hopefully she won’t be like me, a complete basket case. They should teach more in school. At my time it was just about the birds and bees and a period.
                    I was doing so much better last night after reading all the replies. I really did not expect to get any and so grateful for all of you to have shared some private embarrassing things with me. Was even feeling better mind wise and not in the dark black hole. Then this morning I am right back to thinking and feeling disgusting. I always knew my sisters thought they were better but before the IC I kept the house work done, helped people and even babysat for them. I was the one there when anyone needed help. Then the IC happened and I heard I didn’t work, house was dirty and then lots of other things and started believing it all. Then I broke down and told my Uro it all and he has said the same things you all have told me. So, each time I was down I would complain to him and he would bring me back up but then someone would say something and bring me back down. I even had someone tell me I had caused the IC by sticking something up inside me. That sure was hard to get over. Then I thought I was an evil person and this was God’s way to get back at me. Guess I need to really start working at liking myself and not to think I am degusting contagious thing. This will be a big step for me. Not sure if I should tell Uro again what I am going through or not.
                    Thanks everyone once again. Just bare with me while I get my right head back on. Think I left it upstairs in my closet underneath all the junk. If I complain more it is just that I have to. Not that I haven’t listened to anything any of you have said ok. I'm back to crying again.
                    Last edited by waterflow; 02-17-2007, 03:28 AM. Reason: typo again

Comment

LOL, so I am not the only paper-shredder, lol! YAY!!!! Nope, the knot-head had clue what he was doing, I was found with it first, then he had to be treated for it. Ugh. I was furious, that's playing Russian Roulette with MY health, I had no say in that one! I mean, cripes we were engaged, I thought I was pretty safe from my future husband at the time! UGH. And nope, won't ever go away completely. I have had no reoccurance of it since then, but I am very careful to get in to the doc faithfully thanks to it's cancer ties. It was awful having to explain it all to my current hubby, but I had to be upfront about it, it was terrifying to say the least, even though it wasn't my fault, I still felt guilty about it...ugh.

Don't ever let anyone try to intimidate you that way - you didn't cause IC anymore then you control the weather! Geesh, that's just mean-spiritedness all the way. I am a quite a shy person, but I sure would like to give your sister a piece of my mind!!!! She'll be crying for her mommy...lol

I encourage you to talk to your doctor about it - that's what they are there for, they need to know how we are doing mentally as well physically - as it can affect every aspect of our health at any given time!

Hmmm, and as for the complaining about Cinderella (you, *wink wink*) they are just ticked that they lost their personal assistant! It's just hard feelings coming out cause they maybe now have to pay someone to help, etc. Oh well, not your fault and who are they to judge anyway! Don't you worry - what goes around comes around, and it will, I can practically guarantee it!!!

I personally think you are a fabulous person, and I think everyone else here does too! That many minds can't be wrong! Make no mistake, we love you here and you are a vital part of the community/family here!! We are all here for you, never fear!!!!!

XOXO
                      Hugs,
                      Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                      IC dx'd Nov 2004
                      Possible IBS
                      Current IC Meds
                      Previous IC Meds taken:
                      Others:

Comment

Take Control

I have found taking control of who I have for a Doctor and Know that I can be comfortable. Trust me - I am extremely picky on my doctors. We are talking above and beyond their knowledge. I will ask about their personality, such as - are they really sincere? do they know how to kid around? and when the time is right - will they try to make sure you are comfortable? I don't like doctors that preach to me. I don't like doctors that use words that I don't have the first knowledge of what they are talking about. Most females may not feel the same way as I do -but I do like Male Doctors more so for my OB. And I like female doctors as my Primary Care. I love my OB doctor, and I have had lots of my friends go see him - and they love him also. He is caring but to the point. He opens books - draws pictures and will explain the situation. He is the type to rub your leg and ask you if you are ok. But he is great to crack a few jokes or two to just get you laughing and feeling more comfortable with the moment. (of course I can't lie - it does help he is a good looking guy - but he is brilliant). He knows how to make you feel like a lady by how respectful he is. Trust me, a bad experience is not a good one and I know many of us have had that "Bad Experience" with a doctor or two.

Comment

Tracey, we sure do have a lot in common don't we? You probably could take on my sister too! You would have her screaming for I have been waiting for my fairy godmother to turn my toilet into a white coach with 8 horses to carry me off to my prince charming but so far all I have seen is the tidy bowl man.

pinkdiamonds, yeah one bad doc can make it hard for ever to trust a doc again. Your doctor sounds like my Uro. He is great, funny, understanding, patient, will talk in my language and not medical talking and he is cute too. Married with children also. He is the kind of guy I would want as a husband. We have had our arguements on things but still get along great. I'm not stalking him but all men should be like him.

Comment

Gardasil Vaccine

Sandy,
                            I would be interested in knowing if "older women" could take the Gardasil Vaccine. I thought I heard on the news if women over 40 had few sexual partners and knew they didn't have herpes they could benefit from it, espec. if they planned on becoming sexually active again. Some of us could fit into this grouping, and anyone with IC/Chronic Pelvic Pain doesn't need one more problem that might be able to be avoided. I think it costs $360 dollar if our insurance won't cover it.

I have read you postings and learned a lot, so any of your comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
                            ads

Originally posted by SandyRN
                            Human papilloma virus is what causes 70% of cervical cancers. It doesn't account for all of them, but the only way to get HPV is through sex. So you're clear on that one. The other 30% are genetics and all the other crazy, mixed up cells that sometimes go haywire and cause cancer. I know that they recommend the series of shots for girls my daughter's age (14) prior to their first sexual experience, but I don't know anything about adult women taking it. I will look it up for you though and see what I find out. ...

Comment

LOL, trust me Mary, I too had my fair share of frogs to be sure! BLECK! But hey, at least the Tidy Bowl Man has his own boat doesn't he? He's just a bit short, that's all - and even BETTER he knows how to clean a toilet! YAY!!!:woohoo:
                              Hugs,
                              Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                              IC dx'd Nov 2004
                              Possible IBS
                              Current IC Meds
                              Previous IC Meds taken:
                              Others:

Comment

Hmm...at first, when I had IC, I felt very violated by all of the tests down in that region. I think it was because the the first two uros I saw were incredible jerks. But between that, giving birth to my baby, and my last (very traumatic) pregnancy, I've gotten so used to it that I really don't care at all about having folks down in my private area for medical reasons. I trust my OB completely, I really like my uro...and surprisingly, both are male.
                                mom_in_ma

Comment

Working...
                                X