Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flares From Thyroid Meds??

Hi!!

I just wanted to say how much I love this place. It feels so nice to feel so "not out of place"!! Not to mention the oodles of info and nice people. :

Ahem, anyway, I know that alot of people on here have thyroid troubles. A week ago, I found out that mine too is underactive. So I was prescribed Levothyroxine. (Is that what most of you take?) Now I have been in a constant flare. So, I'm wondering if...... it may be the med or I just happen to be having a flare?? Also, how long does it take to feel better with these thyroid meds??

Thanks a bunch ,
    Kennedy
    Last edited by kennedy; 02-26-2007, 11:34 AM.

Promise of a cure........

Hi.... No, levothyroxine should not cause any side effects like that. I was diagnosed 13 years ago and have been taking levothyroxine ever since. They usually start you on a low dose, monitoring it every 1-2 months to see if you need an increase. I started on 25mcg and worked up to 100mcg. I am now stable and balanced on this dose.

Unfortunately the meds do take several months to really make a difference. You should start feeling a little better after 2-3 weeks, then a bit more after a couple of months. You might feel you need a higher dose at this stage.

You will get better and better, believe me, but it does take a time. Remember to take the tablet at around the same time every day and do not be discouraged at what seems to be very slow process.

Comment

thyroid

I've been taking synthroid for 11 years with no problems.
      Pam

Comment

No problems here either.

diana
        (\__/)
        (o.O )
        (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

I've been taking synthroid for about 25 years. The pill replaces a hormone your body should be making naturally - it won't cause an IC flare.

Comment

I have been on Synthroid for 18 years. It did take about a year to get the dosage right and get my thyroid function where it needed to be.
            Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Oh, and one more thing....my doctor told me to only take the brand name Synthroid and not the generic.
              Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Hi,

Thank you everyone for all of your replies. Wow, I thought that this was a quick fix. Pop a pill a day forever and I'm cured! So much for that! Does anybody happen to know what the difference is between Synthroid and Levothyroxine? I know I'm annoying, I'm sorry! I'm just so lost!

Thanks a million times over,
                Kennedy

Promise of a cure........

Comment

Synthroid IS Levothyroxine...it's just a brand name. I take Armour thyroid with no problem and I used to take synthroid without problem.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/drugs/levothyroxine.htm
                  *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                  *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                  *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Working...
                  X