No announcement yet.

Closed MRI and Claustrophobia.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed MRI and Claustrophobia.........

I had 3 of my 4 MRI's today. I was in the MRI machine for over 2 1/2 hrs and it was nothing short of dreadful!! I never thought I was Claustrophobic....BUT being in that small, confined area really freaked me out! I felt like that guy on the one CSI episode that was put in a coffin! OMG! I'll never do another 'closed' MRI!
    My hip was really hurting after laying on that table for such a long length of time. So after the 3rd MRI I told the tech that I was 'done for the day!' Now I have to reschedule for the 4th MRI but you can bet this one will be done with the Open machine!
    Has anyone else had this terrible experience?? I hope I don't have nightmares about it!! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

I've only had one MRI and it's been several years. I was a closed MRI and it was pretty creepy. LOL I didn't know you could bring headphones so there I was - alone with my thoughts, which are pretty twisted and scary. Not something I'd like to do again, but I survived. I honestly talked to God A LOT while I was in there.
    Last edited by vm; 03-31-2007, 04:14 PM. Reason: typo!
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

HI! I wasn't told I could bring music, cause i would have! The times dragged by SO slowly! It was crazy! Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
      June 2007
      First Cysto 1979
      Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
      Bladder surgery 2000
      Laminectomy 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
      I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Many years ago I had to have an MRI of my head, and I started to panic as I was being moved into the machine - I didn't even make it half way in! I had to reschedule and ended up with IV sedation, which knocked me out pretty well. About 3 years ago I had 2 frozen shoulders and needed them scanned. Luckily, I was able to have the open MRI, which is a huge improvement. It's still close in there, but you can turn your head and look out through the open side, which helped tremendously. I also could bring CD's that the tech played for me so I could have the music piped into the room during the scan.

Comment

I sustained a severe concussion playing lacross when I was 15. My pupils were all crazy one huge one tiny. Well any ways I had the mri, but didn't care because I was in lala land. The noise scared me the most it was a terrible pounding noise. Well anyways, thank god they only stuck my head in it, I would have had an anxiety attack other wise! You were a champion, being in there 2 1/2 hours!!!!

Erika
          IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
          Interstim Since 5/25/07!
          Birth Control

Comment

If you tell them you're claustrophobic when you schedule the MRI, they will medicate you so it will be easier. They gave my husband earphones and a choice of music when he had his --- I thought they did that everywhere. I've never had one, but if I ever do I will ask to be medicated. Husband Terry had one without meds and he said he won't do that again.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

HI Donna, I would have thought the place I had the MRI's....(a very upscale 'imaging center') would have mentioned sedation or anti anxiety meds and music. I was very disheartened by the whole experience. I've never had one before........but now I know what to ask for next time! Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
              June 2007
              First Cysto 1979
              Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
              Bladder surgery 2000
              Laminectomy 1989

Comment

me too!

I am clausterphobic also so I will have to have an open one if I have to have one on anything other than my knee. I just had my knee in it and my head was out and I was still having heart palpitations. I KNOW I can not do one with my whole body in it. I bought a tanning bed package about 20 yrs ago and could NOT do it. I had to give my pkg away to my friend. I would never tan now but I could not close myself up in that thing cause I felt like I was in a coffin!!
                thanks
                leeshel

Comment

leeshel, I know what you mean! About half way through yesterday I had a panicky feeling. I closed my eyes and kept thinking about my granddaughter and wondering what she was doing that minute.....made up a grocery list in my head.....anything to keep my mind off the fact I was completely closed in that very loud machine! Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
                  June 2007
                  First Cysto 1979
                  Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                  Bladder surgery 2000
                  Laminectomy 1989

Comment

I can't believe nobody asked if you are claustrophobic! I suggest you write a letter to the center and suggest it, especially after your awful experience.

Donna
                    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

HI Donna,
                      Well what they "Imaging Center" said when they made the appt for me was " you want the closed MRI?" and not realizing how dreadful that was.......I said "yes" that's fine. Now I know better! Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
                      June 2007
                      First Cysto 1979
                      Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                      Bladder surgery 2000
                      Laminectomy 1989

Comment

I was getting an MRI or something that was going around my whole body for my heart, I think. Anyway, it started moving up and as it got to my chin, I remember putting my hands up to stop it before it got to my face. It didn't need to go any further, but I felt a little foolish after that. I am claustrophobic to a point - not phobic phobic - but I don't like most closed in places.

Comment

I Hate that feeling!!

I did the same thing as it started going farther up and up and I almost had my hands up when it stopped over my neck!ha She gave me a panick button and I could feel my heart racing big time!
                          thanks
                          leeshel

Comment

Roxie, I had an open MRI and about freak out. I knew about the music which did help some but after 15 minutes I started to climb out of the thing because they ask me if I could wait only couple of minutes, but I just couldn't do it.

If I need other MRI, I am going to ask about the sedative that Donna mention. They also said nothing about having something that will calm you down. I don't know only if some places will do this for you and some don't. If you see that this MRI is beginning to be to much, I would definitely ask about it.

Hope all goes well, Trishann

Comment

I am glad they have the button

Hi All,
                              I am glad that they have the panic button for those that may not realize they are claustropobic and then all the sudden ..........................BAM......they are in there and freaking!!!! The sedative is a great idea also!!!
                              leeshel

Comment

Working...
                              X