Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sacausa
    replied
    They really should have give you clonazepam, or valium. or zanax to take a few hours before hand. I would even ask for something like that, even if your next MRI is in an open one.... I personally don't think that an open one is big improvement if you're clausterphobic. I remember the first time I had one in an open one, I was shocked that they classified it as "open"!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SrMaggie
    replied
    Kara, did you have your Interstim removed? I thought it was dangerous to get an MRI with the interstim.

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI! My 'new' Rheumatologist who ordered the MRI's didn't mention the option of putting me out or anything else for that matter, nor did the center where I had them.
    I had the panic button too and almost pressed it several times! I just wanted to get through the tests......What a horrible experience! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• Kara29
    replied
    Roxie,

I have to get put to sleep for my MRI's. They do a light sedation and also general anesthesia. It's the only way I can get through them. They do have that option available. I've done one that way and am going to do another one in March that way.

Best Wishes!

Kara

Leave a comment:

• leeshel
    replied
    I am glad they have the button

Hi All,
    I am glad that they have the panic button for those that may not realize they are claustropobic and then all the sudden ..........................BAM......they are in there and freaking!!!! The sedative is a great idea also!!!
    leeshel

Leave a comment:

• Trishann
    replied
    Roxie, I had an open MRI and about freak out. I knew about the music which did help some but after 15 minutes I started to climb out of the thing because they ask me if I could wait only couple of minutes, but I just couldn't do it.

If I need other MRI, I am going to ask about the sedative that Donna mention. They also said nothing about having something that will calm you down. I don't know only if some places will do this for you and some don't. If you see that this MRI is beginning to be to much, I would definitely ask about it.

Hope all goes well, Trishann

Leave a comment:

• leeshel
    replied
    I Hate that feeling!!

I did the same thing as it started going farther up and up and I almost had my hands up when it stopped over my neck!ha She gave me a panick button and I could feel my heart racing big time!
    thanks
    leeshel

Leave a comment:

• SrMaggie
    replied
    I was getting an MRI or something that was going around my whole body for my heart, I think. Anyway, it started moving up and as it got to my chin, I remember putting my hands up to stop it before it got to my face. It didn't need to go any further, but I felt a little foolish after that. I am claustrophobic to a point - not phobic phobic - but I don't like most closed in places.

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI Donna,
    Well what they "Imaging Center" said when they made the appt for me was " you want the closed MRI?" and not realizing how dreadful that was.......I said "yes" that's fine. Now I know better! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I can't believe nobody asked if you are claustrophobic! I suggest you write a letter to the center and suggest it, especially after your awful experience.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    leeshel, I know what you mean! About half way through yesterday I had a panicky feeling. I closed my eyes and kept thinking about my granddaughter and wondering what she was doing that minute.....made up a grocery list in my head.....anything to keep my mind off the fact I was completely closed in that very loud machine! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• leeshel
    replied
    me too!

I am clausterphobic also so I will have to have an open one if I have to have one on anything other than my knee. I just had my knee in it and my head was out and I was still having heart palpitations. I KNOW I can not do one with my whole body in it. I bought a tanning bed package about 20 yrs ago and could NOT do it. I had to give my pkg away to my friend. I would never tan now but I could not close myself up in that thing cause I felt like I was in a coffin!!
    thanks
    leeshel

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI Donna, I would have thought the place I had the MRI's....(a very upscale 'imaging center') would have mentioned sedation or anti anxiety meds and music. I was very disheartened by the whole experience. I've never had one before........but now I know what to ask for next time! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    If you tell them you're claustrophobic when you schedule the MRI, they will medicate you so it will be easier. They gave my husband earphones and a choice of music when he had his --- I thought they did that everywhere. I've never had one, but if I ever do I will ask to be medicated. Husband Terry had one without meds and he said he won't do that again.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• humpieumpumkin
    replied
    I sustained a severe concussion playing lacross when I was 15. My pupils were all crazy one huge one tiny. Well any ways I had the mri, but didn't care because I was in lala land. The noise scared me the most it was a terrible pounding noise. Well anyways, thank god they only stuck my head in it, I would have had an anxiety attack other wise! You were a champion, being in there 2 1/2 hours!!!!

Erika

Leave a comment:

Working...
X