• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leeshel
    replied
    How can you?

DG,
    I do not see how you can sleep with the lights on! You really do have it bad. I am sorry.
    leeshel

Leave a comment:

• leeshel
    replied
    That is awful!

I am so sorry your son had to go thru that, but it is NOT your fault. Bless his heart!! Now you know for next time and they should have sedated him right off the bat so it is their fault!!
    looshel

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI Mom in MA,
    Gosh that must have been totally dreaful for your son. As if it's not bad enough being in the hospital! Closed MRI's are just not fun things to have done! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• dg2901
    replied
    Leeshel...I sleep with a light on. It drives everyone around me nuts.

D

Leave a comment:

• mom_in_ma
    replied
    My seven year old just had to have a full spine MRI (he's fine thankfully) and he tried to do it without sedation. The children's hospital said he was on the cusp of being old enough to handle it and, "why don't we try and see."

Well, he was in the machine all of 10 minutes when he burst into absolute tears and fell apart with claustrophobia. Poor kiddo...they had to sedate him as he cried, "I want to go home" over and over.

That was definitely one of those worst mom in the world feelings!

Leave a comment:

• leeshel
    replied
    What???

How do you sleep DG?? I am not that bad, gosh you do have a rough time of it!! Sorry!
    leeshel

Leave a comment:

• dg2901
    replied
    I tried 4 times w/o success to have a MRI done of my head several years ago. I ended up having to do it with IV conscious sedation.

I'm so claustrophobic that I can't even be in a dark room.

D

Leave a comment:

• leeshel
    replied
    I will have sedation !!

Hi Guys,

If I ever have to have an MRI on anything but my knee, I will prob have to do the open and have the sedation!!ha
    thanks
    leeshel

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI Maggie and Verdicries,
    I can totally relate! I'll never do a closed MRI again. My heart was racing and I was sweating at one point....it was awful!! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• SrMaggie
    replied
    Years ago, I went for an eye exam. For some reason they put me in a small room while my eyes dilated. As the attendant started to close the door, I asked her to keep it open just a crack. She wasn't for doing it, but I insisted. I was still not feeling really good about it and kept counting the minutes. For those of you who are Catholic - you'll know what I mean when I said to myself that I'd say a decade of the rosary and if they didn't come by that time I was leaving. Besides being closed up - it was dark. I was not happy. I ended up saying two decades, I think. Now it sounds kind of comical, but then my hands were sweating. That's my first sign - sweaty hands.

Leave a comment:

• verdicries
    replied
    Roxie...
    Both my dad & I are VEEEEEEEERY claustrophobic...so when we go for an MRI we get slightly sedated (benadryl or something). Very helpful. There is (almost) nothing worse than being claustrophobic in that tight space...AUGH!

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    Thanks ladies, these are great ideas for my next MRI. It's a brain scan so I'll call and see if it's possible to have the open MRI for that......I sure hope so otherwise I'll ask for seducation. I can't handle being inside that machine again. I get panicky now just thinking about it! Roxie

Leave a comment:

• shell
    replied
    I've now had 6 MRIs in the last 3 years due to a spinal tumor. The hospital I had most of them at was great. They needed to do a full skull and spine set, but rather than keep me in the machine that long at once they broke it into two days (I was hospitalized at that point so didn't have to worry about traveling). Sometimes I was offered headphones and sometimes I wasn't, not sure why that was.

Before every MRI they always had a written survey that had to be completed that included questions about claustrophobia. When they call me to schedule my follow-up MRIs now they always ask during the call if I will need meds for anxiety.

As Donna suggested you might want to let the administration know from a patient perspective what would be helpful before appointments.

Leave a comment:

• catlover2
    replied
    Open MRI'S are not always an option. If your spinal cord or brain is being imaged, you will not be able to have it done in an open MRI. Some facilities do not have the open MRI's yet. I have never been allowed to being headphones or music to my MRI appointments. Call the center you go to and ask ahead of time. If you want sedation, your doc has to order it. You will need to call your doc and ask him/her to put an order in your chart for the sedation or ask him/her to write an Rx that you can fill at a pharmacy. If you choose to be sedated, you will need someone to drive you home after the scan. If your doc will not allow you to be sedated you might want to consider some of the tricks I use to overcome the claustrophobia. The day before the scan I wear myself out by cleaning up the house or working out in the yard so that I am beyond exhausted. I go to bed late the night before the scan so that I am still sleepy in the morning. When I start the scan, I am tired and ready for a nap so I usually sleep through the scan. Don't forget to ask for earplugs if the tech doesn't offer them to you.

Leave a comment:

• Kara29
    replied
    Yes My Interstim has been removed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X