Fibromyalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibromyalgia

If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, what type of Dr. diagnosed it for you? I have been having most if not all the symptoms for a few months and everything my regular Dr. has done is not helping. So I am trying to figure out the next step! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jennifer
    Jennifer

Current Conditions

Endometriosis Feb 02
    Depression May 05
    Interstitial Cystitis Nov 06
    Fibromyalgia May 07
    Suspected IBS

Current Meds.
    Elmiron, Cymbalta, Prelief, Probiotic Daily
    Urelle and Tramadol as needed for pain

http://www.myspace.com/all4my2febboys

Fibro is usually fairly easy to diagnose. I know our primary care physician thought my husband might have it, but he was able to rule it out. Turned out it was arthritis.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Actually Donna, FM is fairly difficult to diagnose b/c it can mimick/have the same problems as OTHER illnesses (arthritis, lupus, etc...gee sounds almost like IC. Is it IC/endo/overactive bladder...aaaaaah!). It took me nearly 3 years to get a firm dx . There are no firm tests (CT/MRI/etc). The gold standard is STILL the "trigger points" (usually you must have 11 of 18).

Rheumatologists are the doctors to see for such a problem. FM is much more mainstream than even 10 years ago (which isn't saying much; it's still not mainstream enough!). Still, some rheumys (and other docs) don't "believe" in it. It's all in our minds (HA!).

Good luck.

Tracy
      (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist also, using the trigger point test (I had every trigger point). One of the problems with getting a diagnosis is, as verdicries said, that a lot of doctors still don't "believe in it." For most people I know, the path to diagnosis has not been that straightforward. And then once you know you have it, there isn't all that much you can do for it, either. There are some dietary and lifestyle changes that help some people, but so far, no pharmaceuticals.

Still it's better to know than otherwise.
        Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
        Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

My primary suggested I go to a rheumy beccause he suspected I had Fibro. I do have an acute case. My primary treats me for it.
          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Thank you all for the great replies!!! I was diagnosed today with Fibro. But my Dr. has it also, so she was a great help. She is putting me on Cymbalta, and Tramadol for pain. I start the Cymbalta in the morning and the tramadol seems to be helping. Of course I am also having an IC flare right now!!!
            Jennifer

Current Conditions

Endometriosis Feb 02
            Depression May 05
            Interstitial Cystitis Nov 06
            Fibromyalgia May 07
            Suspected IBS

Current Meds.
            Elmiron, Cymbalta, Prelief, Probiotic Daily
            Urelle and Tramadol as needed for pain

http://www.myspace.com/all4my2febboys

Comment

Fibro

Hi ladies................ I think I might have Fibro. I have been struggling with pain in my shoulders for about 2yrs now but latley it has gotten worst, I have done 24 physical Therapy appt. it made it worst, I finally started going to a accupuncture lady and she said "I think you might have fibro" at first I got really scared and then I read a book on it and seems like there is alot of help for it. I just dont know what kind of dr to turn to. Any help would be great.
              Blessings,
              Ruth

Comment

curly...
                fm is WIDESPREAD pain...not just located to one particular area (ie your shoulders). do you do heavy lifting/a lot of work w/your shoulders/back (like lifting my son...UGH he's heavy). i would see a rheumatologist about it if you're concerned. there is no "standard test" to dx fm, but widespread "trigger point" pain is the main dx tool...that and fatigue, trouble sleeping, etc. good luck. there are a lot of websites/books out there now, http://www.fmaware.org is one.
                (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

Working...
                X