No announcement yet.

Normal # of UTIs per year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 uts a year? that is one for every month lol. That doesn't sound right. I am going to ask my uro that question, what is consider normal for utis? YOu should see the list of questions I have for him today lol. He might not eat lunch lol.I will let you all know how I make out. Kim good luck on your research.
    Hang in there , There is hope.
    There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

12 UTIs a year sounds really excessive. I think at my worst (about 4 years ago) I had about 6 infections a year. A couple were the all-out major bladder infections with bleeding and constant pain. At this point I have not had a UTI in probably close to a year. My uro prescribed Macrobid for me to take after sex and that really helped break the cycle. Also, ever since I've been on all of these IC meds and rinsing the vaginal area with cool water after sex (I always urinate before and after), I haven't even used the Macrobid consistently and still have not gotten a UTI. I keep my fingers crossed that I don't get one for fear of triggering another IC flare!
      Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
      Diagnosed with:
      IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
      Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
      Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

I have chronic UTIs and have had them since I was 17 (I am 29 now...b-day was Jan 4).

Most are related to sex for me. I did 7 months of macrodantin to "break the cycle" in 2003.

I take cipro after sex and this helps alot. Missed the cipro once recently and had a bad infection.

I just went to the uro today and she lowered the cipro dose b/c I was having side effects and it was really high. Hopefully it will still work. I am nervous but want to try it.

As far as normal numbers of UTIs, I thought more than 3 per year was chronic. I don't know off the top of my head how many I had in 2003, but it was probably at least 6.

I'd like to post more, but am having a bad day pain wise and it is hard to type (or think!).

Nicole

Comment

Sorry you aren't feeling well, Nicole. kissing

Thanks for the info, gals. I am thinking my uro said it can be normal to get up to 6 a year. Anyway, if I get another one soon, I will most likely ask about the antibiotic after sex.
          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I took Bactrim after sex when I was still being diagnosed with "honeymoon cystitis". It seriously messed up my immune system. I am also now horribly allergic to Bactrim. I haven't gotten a UTI since last May. One thing that has worked for me was trying to build up my immune system by eating meat not treated with antibiotics--usually organic or natural. It really has made a difference. While I was on antibiotic therapy I got the worst case of Bronchitis. It was horrible. I would cough until I threw up. It lasted 3 weeks. Now I just clean up after sex, and since I can't use birth control anymore, DH uses non-latex condoms. I think that might make a difference too.

Comment

first of all, ANY UTI's seem like too much...with IC, who needs a UTI on top of it all wink

i was doing the antibiotic-after-sex thing for years as well, but i don't like the idea of it for a few reason. first, taking an antibiotic regularly can reduce its effectiveness when you really need it. second, if you take an antibiotic and only partially kill the organism, it can become antibiotic-resistant and then who knows what will kill it off. this is happening with strep...there are some strains that cannot be killed because of antibiotic resistance.

aside from all that, the pills made me sick to my stomach.

i mentioned all this to my accupuncturist, who also does not like constant antibiotics. she mentioned the same thyroid issue that was previously noted on this board. i've been taking one of her herbal remedies and so far, so good...i'll tell you, the first couple of times that i had sex without the antibiotic, i was a nervous wreck for 48 hours following (that's usually the window...after that and i'm usually ok). but...it's been four months so far. i'm knocking on wood even as i type this.

good luck...

-m
              "One only need to look around to see that Darwin was an optimist" - myself

Comment

i have one uti a mth the week before mother nature come to visit it is awful if i dont get it treated asap before my mthly hits i end up in the er.
                I know this isnt normal but they cant seem to find the root of my infections. some of my infection has eased off since i started the heparin treatments at home so the uti i get now or very mild when they was plus 4.
                i wish you luck in finding out where they are coming from.
                Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Working...
                X