No announcement yet.

HYPOTHYROIDISM ANYONE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICY, that post brought a smile to my face. I am so glad you are feeling better.

I just wanted to add....for me, my numbers are all "within normal limits" (WNL) except my free t4 or free thyroxine level was low boarderline normal...still WNL but boarderline, and so my doctor said Hey Rachel look....you are low on something that we have in pill form and we can replace EXACTLy what you are missing, nothing more nothing less. So I started on Levoxyl. That was about six months ago.

I was breast fed as a baby, but as an young women, I am a vegetarian(but I did eat fish). Well, that blew up in my face when I discovered all the mercury issues out there in the US.....and when my doctor discovered the mercury levels in my blood!! And of course, Mercury is a thyroid~depressant....it latches on to the thyroid tissue very easily for some reason. This is one of the explanations as to why I do not clearly have "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis" or positive ANA titers....because there are things in my body supressing that gland.

The other issue IS soy. Soy has estrogenic~ like properties, and while this is great for my mother who is nearing menopause, for me, it causes more problems than benefits I believe. As a vegetarian I ate (and still do eat a decent amount) a HUGE amount of soy, partially as a good source of protein, partially because it is so heart healthy (I have high cholesterol.) I think the LARGE amount of soy I ate contribuited to the supression of the thyroid, so now I try to limit my consumption. I still do have a protein bar every morning, because Im usually on the run, and the bar is soy protein. (I have contacted the company and asked them to make a bar out of whey protein!! LOL) But I limit my intake to that bar, or one serving a day, and I try for at least 3 days a week with no soy at all. I have begun to notice that when I DONT monitor my soy intake at all, and I eat whatever, I get worse PMS (and therefor worse IC symptoms at that time of the month) then when I dont eat as much soy.

Its been tough.....I became a vegetarian because well, I dont paticularly like meat, but for me, it was easier with IC, my bladder was less irritated. It obviously wasnt the best thing for me between mercury and soy lmao but now that I know I pay much more attention to my diet. Its hard, I believe that us ICers can have nutrient deficient diets, and one of those deficiencies for me has been not enough protein. (Did you know you should have your weight in Kilograms in protein every day?? SO if you weigh 140, about sixty three kilos, you should have sixty three grams of protein a day??) I certianly wasnt getting that, and being careful about my diet has made me feel better overall.

ANyway guys, I'll stop rambling now. Off to the doctor for my thyroid med check!!
    Big hugs,
    Rachel
    @[email protected]
    "Well the Secret O'Life is enjoying the passage of time." ~James Taylor

Comment

Mimi~

I just saw your post, Im sorry!!

Tenderness is NOT indicative of a thyroid problem, and although it could go along with it, it could also be indicative of some other problem, so please see your doctor. If it is directly under your chin, it is NOT your thyroid gland (which is much lower) but it is your sublingual lymph nodes, which could mean you have a cold or a throat infectoin or a sinus infection or even an ear infection.

Funny though.....years and years before I started thyroid medication, even before I had IC, doctors were always checking my thyroid labs because my thyroid always felt "full" on physical exam. That started when I was about fifteen!!!! It took almost a decade, 8 years, until I found a doctor who decided that the fullness, pluss my symptoms, PLUS my boarderline labs were enough to treat me. I wonder how long Ive actually been hypo!
      Hugs,
      Rachel
      @[email protected]
      "Well the Secret O'Life is enjoying the passage of time." ~James Taylor

Comment

Working...
      X