anxiety disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anxiety disorder

Does anyone else suffer with terrible anxiety?Mine seems to get worse during or after an IC flare.I feel shaky and weak with heart palpitations.I usually feel short of breath,sometimes my arm may even feel sore.My doctor has tested and treated me for years with this anxiety disorder.I have been on Atenolol for years and take Xanax when needed.I usually let my anxiety get as bad as I can tolerate it before I take the Xanax.I really do not want to take anymore medication long term.Does anyone know of any natural approaches that can help reduce the stressful anxiety symptoms.

Duana

Deep breathing excercises and meditation.

Comment

I honestly think you're better off working with your doctor on this. You can also do some things like relaxing tapes, reading good books, watching movies, walking, listening to soft music --- whatever makes you feel relaxed.

Warm hugs,
      Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Therapy and Lots of it, is what has helped me get my anxiety back to normal! Also Xanax does not last long in your system and can cause rebound anxiety. It might be a good idea to talk to your Dr about switching to something that last longer like klonopin, If you want to stay on a anxiety med..I am NO Dr but have had better luck with the long lasting one..
        Also there are many other things you can try.. Like Donna said talk to your Dr about this..
        Hugs
        Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
        Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
        Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
        Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
        Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Duana, I don't know your age, but I developed severe anxiety pre menopausal in my mid 40s, came out of the blue, thought I was going to die for sure. Doc tried all kinds of stuff, could not tolerate much, made me really loopy and did nothing. Xanax was my saviour. Took it as needed, but as soon as that twinge comes, you want to get it before it takes over.

Anyway, that lasted for just a few years and then voila, one day it was just gone (went into menopause, hallelujah) and did not take another Xanie for years. Get an attack rarely, usually due to the build up of what Bob is going through, one little pill maybe 4 times a year now. It is comforting just to have them, because those panic attacks are an absolute nightmare. Know how you feel, it is the end of the world for sure. Maybe get your hormones checked, get your proper bloodwork, stay away from alcohol, and make sure your drugs are not interacting.

Really feel for you, just what you need on top of everything else. And always carry your Xanax with you. It is soothing just to know they are on hand, you don't want to be in the middle of a store or in the middle of a meal out and freak. Do find that background noise bothers us (Bob is prone to them as well with the IC and everything else) a noisey restaurant is something we avoid, we will go at quiet times for a late lunch like 2 PM when things are really peaceful. Try to figure what your triggers are. Personally we stay away from scarey or violent TV as well, comedy/reality/old movies are our venues these days. We have pretty much gotten the triggers down and are med free for the most part as far as anxiety.

Try to get fresh air and sunshine and come spring get out there and get your hands in the dirt. A lot of sunshine helps. Walk if you can. And just find a quiet spot to just SIT. Do you have any hobbies? Sometimes doing something fine with your hands, knit, crochet, sew on buttons, quilt, crafty stuff, organize your old pictures, can be very therapeutic. (and you can maybe make some money off it as well!) It does not have to be strenuous or real physical.

If you feel therapy will help you, absolutely go for it. Bob is not a therapy kind of guy, he tends to tell them what he thinks they want to hear, but these are just little tips that we have found keeps both of us away from the anxiety meds. You have to realize that stresses can cause this to happen and can create a chemical imbalance. You definitely do not want to ignore it. There are a lot of meds out there, utilize them with your doc, and would advise you not to take anything "herbal" without checking with him first. There are too many dangerous interactions and could actually make you feel worse. Just please be careful and don't self diagnose. Anti anxiety, not to be confused with anti depressants, usually work fairly quick. Nobody needs you to feel like you are going bonkers, altho know that's the way it feels sometimes. Please talk with your doc, try to take a deep, deep breath, and don't fret, this too shall pass. Wish you much luck, let us know how you are doing. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

P.S. Duana, make sure your thyroid is in normal limits and also your adrenal glands. Sometimes that can trigger these attacks. Take care GF, Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

Hi Duana!

I was actually diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder several years ago, so I can totally related to feeling over anxious. When it comes to my anxiety and IC (and the other "issues"), according to my doctor, who made perfect sense upon saying this, anxiety and chronic pelvic pain go hand-in-hand. It is a vicious cycle. The anxiety can, and does, cause and/or add to flares, and in turn the flares add to, or cause, the anxiety. In the past, I have taken anti-anxiety meds, but opted not to take them when I was diagnosed with everything last July. Instead, I am trying and looking for new and more natural ways to cope with the anxiety.

All the other suggestions that were given, I think, are good. You should discuss this with your doctor. Just be honest and open, and try not to feel pressured. Different things work for different people. I personally am trying the more "natural" way, which my doctor is fine with.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Moongirl

Dx IC
              Dx VV
              Dx PFD
              Dx LS
              *All diagnosed in July 2010
              Dx Anxiety Disorder, Spring 2005

Treatments:
              Hydroxyzine
              Nortriptyline
              Elmiron
              IC Diet
              Bladder Instillments
              Triamcinolone
              Topicort
              Bactroban
              Lidocaine
              Physical Therapy
              Mind-Body Relaxation Techniques

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Comment

I just started back ok citalopram. I always get major anxiety during a flare. It's been a week. While waiting for it to start working, I have a script for Xanax. I have panic attacks that wake me up every morning. It's AWFUL! I know of some things to try but they don't work. But I'm so scared to take Xanax! Or Ativan! Benzos scare me! Especially after researching them on the web. Do you think it's ok to take .5 Valium everyday until my citalopram kicks in? This is the worst feeling!
                symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
                *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
                100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
                Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
                Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
                Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
                My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging posts! Noises really get to me these days too. Usually have anxiety in the early morning but it seems to be an all day thing today. I pray that my citalopram kicks in soon so I can get over this!
                  symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
                  *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
                  100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
                  Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
                  Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
                  Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
                  My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

Working...
                  X