UTI and IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTI and IC

A couple years back I was having a lot of problems with UTIs, I would get them as often as I got my period. This lasted for around a year until I got my last hydro, after that the UTI's went down to only a few a year. I always assumed that having IC it makes me more susceptible to having them. I was wondering if anyone else has struggled with constant UTI's?

I do put mine is put done to haveing urinary retention and my bladder never emptying completely, so residual urine more prone to getting infection.

MG
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

From late 2009 through all of 2010 i was having a lot of recurrent bladder infections, so much so that my urologist finally put me on a maintenance for 6 months and even then if I forgot to take the maintenance for a few days (more of just didn't take it, because I didn't like) i'd get a infection again - so on and so forth.

The last time I went to my urologist for an instill was in December of 2010 and since then I mostly felt good, at times I would feel burning but I never had the frequency that to me would signal a bladder infection... In the past 4 months or so I haven't had any medication because I've felt really fine....

My luck ran out yesterday

Last night i got home from work from my new job (which i just started on the 18th) and I had to pee more frequently at that time I just thought okay maybe I ate the wrong foods today because I was also having a bit of a constipation feeling and figured that because of the constipation that it was pushing on my bladder more making me pee more often..

Then this morning I woke up at 4am having to go and then could never get back to sleep it seemed like every hour I was going... Which for how I've been lately is frequent... Considering I go to the bathroom normally about 3 to 4 times a day now..

Anyway at about 1pm i decided it was time to head to acute care to see about the possibility of a bladder infection - particularly because I was worried I could be having an IC flare because i haven't had treatment in about 4 months - also because of the new job (i was half freaking out in my mind)

So once i pee'd in a cup and went back to the room...

Turns out:
      Low grade temp - 99.3 (not to bad)
      high white blood cell count

and the possibility of a kidney infection because of whatever they found when they did the analysis - the doctor came back in and was asking if i was having pain in my upper back, how i was feeling etc

anyway he was 100% sure I at least had a bladder infection if not a kidney infection as well and that if this macrodantin doesn't get rid of it to get checked out again for a possible kidney infection...

essentially that for all i know I could have had this infection since january because of the burning and not even known it...

moral of the story - if you start feeling something different go to the doctor because it could turn into the something worse potentially

ramble over lol

on a side note: does anyone else every notice that once you have something diagnosed you start feeling slightly better? just curious...
      Diagnosed with IC when I was 14 (in 2003)
      Diagnosed with IBS when I was 19 (in 2008)
      -At 14 had a cystoscopy with hydrodistention (confirmed IC, after only 3 months of searching)
      -At 19 I had another cystoscopy with hydrodistention (because of elmiron side effects)
      -From when I was 14 to 19 I was on Elmiron, but had a lot of side effects
      -Had a colonoscopy (because of elmiron side effects) - after which I was diagnosed with IBS.
      -Did instills weekly for over a year (after that I got chronic uti's)
      -Thought I was in remission for a few years, however several of the uti's I thought I was getting were actually bad IC flares, and the urgent care drs never told me nothing was growing out in the culture.
      -Medications that I'm taking right now that help with IC symptoms:
      -hydroxyzine hcl 25mg
      -amitriptyline hcl 35mg
      -Cyclosporine (unmodified) 400mg (dosage subject to change)
      Overall I have IC, IBS, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Recurrent bladder infections, and some menstrual issues as well.

-Brandy

Comment

I have only had a couple of UTI's the whole time I have had IC and that is 35 years now.
        Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
        http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

Working...
        X