Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshmallow root experiences?

Hey

For the past 2 years I have suffered from very bad urethral pain and discomfort, barely any of the problems other members seem to have with the bladder pain though.
    Anyway having tried lots of different things I stumbled across marshmallow root, I get chopped root and boil it to make a tea and its been amazing, made the discomfort basically none existent, and even if I’m in pain I drink some and an hour later I’m back to normal!
    Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Wow that's great! I tried it a while back and didn't notice a difference, really. But that's back when my symptoms were really severe and nothing really helped. So I'm not sure if I tried it now if I would notice it. That's awesome that you have found something to help you! I remember reading a post on here from a woman who got increased liver enzymes from drinking it, but she said she was drinking something like 10 cups a day, which is a lot!
    Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I can't take it because I'm already on a diuretic for blood pressure --- and can't add another diuretic.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I just tried the marshmellow root tea that I made from dried roots. I had heard so much about it having a positive effect, but it increased my frequency so much that I don't think I will be using it again.

Comment

Intresting

Earthlady it increased my frrequency for a few days as well but i calmed down after around 5 days, I would definatly recommend sticking with it for a few days.

Antonia

Comment

I may give it another try but right now my bladder is feeling pretty calm, so I'll wait and see.

Comment

Hi

I glad you have written that tonnie because I started taking the capsules and now feel like I can't hold on at all! Now I know this I'll stick it out for a few days.

Comment

can you buy it in the actual tea bags?
                symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
                *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
                100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
                Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
                Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
                Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
                My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

oh man. i wanna try it, but the thought of increased frequency for a few days before feeling better freaks me out. frequency SUCKS.
                  lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
                  pyridium

ditropan
                  buspirone

?(new medications)
                  chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

I have been taking the capsules for a good few months, quite a few to start with, and now mainly at bed time and have never experienced increased frequency. I think the capsules are much less potent than the tea made from actual roots though, although I did find it quite soothing.
                    I take them at the moment if I am having a heavily flavoured flood, maybe it prevents it from being absorbed but definitely prevents it from irritating my bladder so much.
                    24 year old UK female with lots of urethral issues, diagnosed with IC through cystoscopy at beginning of 2011 then later diagnosed with Urethral Syndrome.

Current meds & treatments:
                    Lyrica 450mg
                    Buscopan as needed
                    5htp
                    Calcium
                    Cilest Contraceptive pill
                    Vicks/lidocaine as needed
                    2x Flomax at night

Tried/past meds & treatments:
                    Amitriptyline 75mg
                    Atarax
                    Vesicare
                    Duloxetine
                    Ditropan
                    Quercetin
                    Cystistat Instillations

Comment

whoops meant food not flood! haha
                      24 year old UK female with lots of urethral issues, diagnosed with IC through cystoscopy at beginning of 2011 then later diagnosed with Urethral Syndrome.

Current meds & treatments:
                      Lyrica 450mg
                      Buscopan as needed
                      5htp
                      Calcium
                      Cilest Contraceptive pill
                      Vicks/lidocaine as needed
                      2x Flomax at night

Tried/past meds & treatments:
                      Amitriptyline 75mg
                      Atarax
                      Vesicare
                      Duloxetine
                      Ditropan
                      Quercetin
                      Cystistat Instillations

Comment

I know this is an older post, but...

I am in the middle of a nasty flare brought on by a UTI that I had to take 3 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of. My dr wants me to wait 8 weeks before I come back to see if the irritation/inflammation dies down. In the meantime I want to go the natural route and try the marshmallow root tea. I went to 3 different health food stores just to find it. I read that many people suggest buying it loose but what I found comes in tea bags by Celebration Herbals.

My question is I keep reading how its supposed to be "slimy." I don't know what you mean? I steep mine for like 10 minutes and it remains a clear yellowy color. It tastes fine, I don't mind drinking it, but I want to prepare it in a way that will be most successful in treating my symptoms. Is it not as effective if you use the tea bags? Should I steep it longer or in the fridge to get the "slimy" mucous effect? Thanks for any feedback!

Shelly
                        -31 years old
                        -Diagnosed mild IC Feb 2001 after cystoscopy/hydro. Went into remission for 10 years shortly afterwards.
                        -Not diet sensitive.
                        -Taking Atarax nightly.
                        -D Mannose to prevent UTI's.

Comment

Marshmallow Root Tea !

I have had good experiences with the Tea. You can purchase it in a large bag on-line and it is much, much cheaper than in the bags. I have never heard of the slime, however, it soothed my symptoms !
                          Good Luck !
                          Belle
                          Readers Digest Version of my Urinary History:Urinary Tract Infections since age 19
                          VCG x 2
                          IVP x 1
                          Ultrasound of kidneys x 3 (currently have kidney stone)
                          Dilation of Uretha x 2
                          Diagnosed with IC 2008 age 48
                          Cystoscopy with Overdistension of Bladder x 4
                          2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011
                          First Overdistension of Bladder had great results, last one I had pain >10 for 30 days
                          ...............................................................
                          Current Medications
                          Elmiron, Elavil, Lyrica, Klonopin, Tagamet,
                          Macrobid (PRN) for infections, Glucosamine with Chondroitin, Fish Oil, Calcium with D, Acidophillus,
                          Baking soda 1 tsp w/water PRN, Prelief, Estrace Cream, Combipatch, Fiber tabs, Diastat (for flares)
                          .................................................................
                          Did Not Work for Me
                          Detrol, Vesicare, Toviaz, Goldenseal, D-Mannose, Quercitin

Comment

Hi all,
                            I've not been on here recently, because thankfully the marshmellow seems to be keeping everything under control but I'm so glad to hear it is working for other people too!

'I read that many people suggest buying it loose but what I found comes in tea bags by Celebration Herbals.'

I don't think it matters, i've recently started putting mine into bags anyway and it appears to be nearly as effective.

'My question is I keep reading how its supposed to be "slimy." Should I steep it longer or in the fridge to get the "slimy" mucous effect? Thanks for any feedback!'

I hadn't heard of drinking it when it is slimy, personally the only time I find mine is slimy is when I have left it too long then I can't bear to drink it and throw it away. The only thing I can guess is when I first started taking marshmellow I did so because I had heard that it covers your insides with a protective mucus to stop irritants reaching, for example, a damaged bladder wall.

Best wishes

Antonia

Comment

I buy marshmallow root loose at my locat health food store. I find it incredibly helpful and soothing. I put about a Tablespoon in a T-Sac filter bag, then soak in a cup for about 10 minutes. Sometimes I throw an Altoid or two in for lil' peppermint kick.

I think it is tasty too. Those who posted on another thread, who said it tasted like dirt - buy it fresh. Makes a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X