Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothergoose
    replied
    I am not too sure if this would work for you or not, but thought I would throw this out.

One: I would try antiflamitory cream, talk to a pharmcist for one with the least amount of other ingredences.

Two: What I use and works well is RX hemorroid cream, (not OTC it has lots of stuff in it that will bother you). You can PM and I will send you the name and ingredence in it. My Dr. says it is made to use in that part of your anatomy, it has an anti inflamitory in it, pain med, so it reduces swelling and pain etc. It worth try. It does work well for me.

Three: I also use vit oil when it flares up and use it alternatley with the hemi ont.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• ChrissyW
    replied
    Aww God bless u!! I'm still having pain. Had my surgery Dec 1st for the surgery. Still in my recovery stages.. but still having the bad pain after urinating a lot. Some days bad pressure & frequency too. Right now i'm taking 5 mg. Valium usually twice a day. Mostly vaginally when resting but i will do 1 orally on occasion. Also Hydroco since surgery. Helps wth pain a lot.. not all of the urinating pain though! Starting physical therapy for pelvic floor in Jan. praying that helps!

Leave a comment:

• Daisy Mae
    replied
    Just wanted to mention that sometimes they keep the Prelief behind the counter. (CVS, or Walgreens, even Wal-Mart if I remember correctly.) Seems the pharmacy techs hadn't heard of it but the pharmacist always seems to know. I hope you find it soon, it's a lifesaver for me!!!

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    I wouldn't make it without prayer, either. I've had IC for 21 years.

Leave a comment:

• ChrissyW
    replied
    I've had IC for 13 yrs. just since Sept. been in a lot of pain after urinating! The pain lasts awhile & am starting to get burning too! My Uro started me on Elmiron & after just 1 dose that's when my problems got worse. Almost a month later & still having problems. Also i just got diagnosed with an Inguinal Hernia.. not sure if that is contributing to the pain after urinating? I want it to end too so bad! Very confused! Wouldn't make it without prayer!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Some local pharmacies carry it, some don't. I've found it most consistently at Walgreens. Sometimes it's with the antacids, but sometimes it's located next to the Bean-o. (Same manufacturer).

Wishing you relief soon,

Leave a comment:

• rosechild12
    replied
    So no UTI just a flare. I will say that I took 4 tums like Donna suggested and that really helped with the burning. It's still there but it isn't as sharp as before it's more of a dull burn right now. However my pelvic pain has gotten worse so I think I am going to try my heating pad and a hot bath. That always helps me a little. Also I will definitely check out prelief. Quick question can I find that at my local pharmacy or do I need to order it online.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions and help. If anyone has any other good tips please let me know. I am willing to try anything.

Jessica
    Take: elmiron 2twice a day
    Cymbalta once a day
    Prosed ds as needed
    Lydocaine gel as needed
    Tramadol as needed
    Oxycodone as needed
    Orthro Evra Patch continuously because periods make my flares worse
    Diagnosed with severe IC April 2011

Suffered for 8 years without a diagnoses
    I'm 23 and have always had issues but when I was 16 things got much worse. I saw urologists, pediatricians, and gynecologists and nobody had any answers it was either in my head or an infection. Finally found a wonderful doctor who diagnosed me with IC.

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    I know this is going to sound simplistic, but take Prelief several times a day. Prayer and Prelief ---- which was an answer to prayer--- ended my last bad flare. Then I tried cutting back on the Prelief, and the flare returned. Went back to regular dosing, and the flare subsided again.

Leave a comment:

• rosechild12
    replied
    Unfortunately I am not any better today . I finally sucked it up and took my strong pain med which I was trying to avoid because I have to be bed ridden after I take it because it's so strong. The pain med just wore off and now I am in extreme pain again. I am considering going to do a UTI test just to make sure it isn't. The burning and irritation is so bad I am starting to wonder if it is an infection. Briza my doctor cautioned me against using lydocaine to much because if your body absorbs to much lydocaine you could have seizures/heart problems/ and in extreme cases death. My doctor told me it's not very likely but the more you absorb into your system the better chances you have of having these side effects. So he told me only to use 2-3 times a week.

Thank you all for the replies and support and I will let you know if it is an infection or not. If it isn't then I will just wait until tomorrow morning so I can talk to my doctor. If it is I will call the on-call system today.

Thanks
    Jessica
    Cymbalta once a day
    Prosed ds as needed
    Lydocaine gel as needed
    Tramadol as needed
    Oxycodone as needed

I'm 23 and have always had issues but when I was 16 things got much worse. I saw urologists, pediatricians, and gynecologists and nobody had any answers it was either in my head or an infection. Finally found a wonderful doctor who diagnosed me with IC.[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I can't take the baking soda because of high blood pressure so I take 4 Tums for a flare --- it pretty much does the same thing as the soda. I agree that doing a home test kit to rule out infection is a good idea. If you get a "positive" you can telephone your doctor. As Kadi says, nearly all will have someone on call who can help.

Sending healing thoughts,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    I read about the baking soda, followed by the TUMS in a book on IC. I think (?) the theory is that they both neutralize acid and can reduce burning. It's been helpful when I've been in an especially bad flare.

Leave a comment:

• rosechild12
    replied
    I have tried the baking soda and bath- not working
    Kadi- out of curiosity why the tums?

I understand all of the other steps because I also do those things (which reminds me I need to pick up more benadryl) but I haven't heard of using tums before. What does that help with? Also just an FYI I am lactose intolerant. I know some people swear by a good milkshake (it's supposed to coat your bladder or something) but unfortunately I can not go that route.

Thanks
    Jessica
    Cymbalta once a day
    Prosed ds as needed
    Lydocaine gel as needed
    Tramadol as needed
    Oxycodone as needed

I'm 23 and have always had issues but when I was 16 things got much worse. I saw urologists, pediatricians, and gynecologists and nobody had any answers it was either in my head or an infection. Finally found a wonderful doctor who diagnosed me with IC.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    I assume you have tried a warm (not hot) bath in a 1/2 cup or so of baking soda? After my cysto when I felt 'raw' that was even better than pain meds were. I took to soaking about 6 times a day because it felt so good.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    No worries, you're not rude. I actually bought a huge jar of urine test strips to keep at home just so I know for sure. I always recommend to anyone who has a spike in symptoms to get checked for UTI because when I first got IC, I mistook an actual UTI for a flare and ended up with a truly awful kidney infection & was very sick. So, always better to err on the side of caution!

The things I try for a very bad flare are:
    1. My usual pain meds
    2. A dye free Benadryl because sometimes allergies set off my flares (even if I don't have nasal congestion)
    3. A hot bath (somehow immersing myself in hot water can help)
    4. Baking soda in water, followed by 2 plain white TUMS antacids 2 hours later
    (Only do this if you don't have trouble with sodium or high blood pressure)
    5. After #1-4, serious distraction (video, book, podcast) to try not to panic

I hope you feel better very soon!

Leave a comment:

• rosechild12
    replied
    Thanks for the reply kadi but I have had this before and I always get it checked for UTI's (I am prone to them) and it always comes back there's protein on a dip but when they send it off to the lab it's not an infection. My doctor thinks that's why I have such a severe case of IC because I seem to always have a little bit of protein in my urine. I have dealt with this for a long time and I have finally been able to tell the difference between an infection and a flare. I am pretty sure it's not an infection but if I call on Monday and they want to check for one I will gladly do it just to rule it out however I can't afford to spend a lot of money on an ER visit for an infection. I am so sorry if I sound rude at all I am just sick to death of always being told it's an infection and it never is. I really appreciate the feedback though.

Thanks,
    Jessica
    Cymbalta once a day
    Prosed ds as needed
    Lydocaine gel as needed
    Tramadol as needed
    Oxycodone as needed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X