Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VV Sister here!

Hey girls,

I had an appt. today and found out that I have VV. I go back in 6 weeks to find out treatment plans, as I am being treated for chronic yeast infections also. Anyway, what's the treatment plan? She said that Elavil is good for pain for it. And is it normal to burn really bad after the exam? Cuz I am burning! Help!
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Oh Jess, sorry to hear you have VV too! It's not uncommon, since the tissue structure of the vulvar/vaginal region is so similar.

I have been on 25 mg of Elavil since June and it has really helped. If I do have burning (and yes, that is normal after an exam) I use betamethasone valerate cream (basically a cortisone cream prescribed by my doctor) for a couple of days, rinse with cool water after urinating (and sex -- always!) and try to avoid wearing panties to bed to allow for air circulation (will also help the chronic yeast infection thing too.) I have also taken baking soda sitz baths, but some ICers may not be able to tolerate that. If the burning is really bad, I apply an ice pack wrapped in a cloth to the area for 10-15 minutes and that helps too. It's also helpful to try to reduce the acidity of your urine, because that will irritate vulvar tissue.

The other thing I am doing is taking the Pill continuously for 3 consecutive months (in other words, not using the placebo Pill for a week in order to have my period) and then having my period, then going back on the Pill continuously for another 3 months. Hormone changes and menstrual blood cause my VV to act up, and since I've reduced the number of periods I have in a year, it's made a huge difference.

It may take some time and experimenting with some options to come up with treatment options that work for you. It took me about 4 or so months of the Elavil and the Pill before I had significant improvement. My gynecologist is very pleased with the progress -- he hadn't expected improvement that quickly.

Good luck!! kissing
    Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
    Diagnosed with:
    IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
    Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
    Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

Hey Poet,

Thanks so much for your help, I knew you'd be here to answer! I am glad you are seeing such an improvement in your symptoms, I can't wait to get mine under control. That exam for VV was a bit much! eek I wasn't even going to bring up the pain I'd been having but I did and I'm pretty glad. If I have anymore questions I'm gonna find you!

Thanks a bunch and lotsa hugs!
      Jess grouphug kissing
      Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Jess,
        hugs i am sorry you have vv... you know how to find me if you need me
        huggies
        Brat
        'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

grouphug grouphug Jess so sorry that you have v. I will be praying for you.
          Hang in there , There is hope.
          There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Working...
          X