Need to have biopsy done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to have biopsy done

I just got back from my gynecologist, who wanted to do a follow-up exam following Premarin treatment for my VV. Upon examination, he wants to do a biopsy because there are several lesions present. He wants to find out what the underlying condition is, so he can treat it correctly.

Has anyone gone through this procedure? I'm not worried about the discomfort from the biopsy (nothing can be worse than the urethrotomy, biopsy and hydrodistension I had done all once!) eek so much as I am worried that I'll end up with some other incurable condition I'll have to treat with limited success for the rest of my life. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to be and I'm really feeling upset and defeated right now. The doc said they see these kinds of vulvar lesions with people who have IC. frown
    Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
    Diagnosed with:
    IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
    Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
    Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Hi...I had a biopsy done by my OBGYN at the same time I was out (under anesthesia) for the diagnosis on my bladder by my urologist, so the timing was good. I also had another one done at my student health center in college with a local anesthetic, so it's not the worst pain ever, as you can imagine. I understand your frustration about trying to treat something so vague, that doesn't have a cure. I've had it now for 10 years and I've gone through stages where I really wanted to fight it and treat it, and other times when I thought I'd never get better. I think it has really helped me to have a great doctor who is so understanding and one that won't push me towards some kind of treatment (surgery, nerve block) that I'm not ready for. I had a really hard time dealing with it at first emotionally and couldn't talk to anyone about it. MY OBGYN referred me to a psychologist and the counseling really helped. I hope things go well for you--you're definitely not alone. Kelly

Comment

Thanks Kelly for your response. I appreciate it!

I've considered going to a psychologist to deal with my emotions/reactions. I never used to have all of these problems "down there" and it's just destroyed my sexual well-being.

My gynecologist seems to be very sympathetic and supportive; he hopes to find the right treatment to get me to the point where this is not something I have to live with every day. He also seems to prefer a less invasive therapy. The word "biopsy" really freaked me out at first but by the next day I had accepted the fact that it was necessary in order to pinpoint the cause of the lesions so that it can be properly treated.

What sorts of treatment does your doctor have you on right now?
      Namaste

-----------------------
      Diagnosed with:
      IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
      Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Comment

Poet Girl, I will be praying for you and you just hang in there and remeber there is hope and let us know how you make out at the drs. Hugs and gentle kisses and healing thoughts your way.
        Hang in there , There is hope.
        There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Thanks Deb! You're the best! I'll let you know how it goes - the biopsy will be taken in several weeks.
          Namaste

-----------------------
          Diagnosed with:

Meds:

Comment

{{{{{{{{{{Poetgirl}}}}}}}pls let me know how you make out. Hang in there. There is hope.
            Hang in there , There is hope.
            There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Hi Poetgirl,
              For my IC, I take Calcium Citrate, Elmiron and Detrol LA--definitely makes things manageable. For the VV, I am taking desipramine, an anti-depressant. I am finally starting to see results and sex is becoming less and less painful! I tried several other anti-depressants, but this one has the least side affects and works for me. I also take Vicodin pre-intercourse to relax and for pain and use Astroglide. I've tried many creams without much luck, but I did use Emla, a numbing cream for a few years with intercourse. Sounds like your on the right path with your doctor--Good Luck!! Kelly

Comment

Kelly,

Thanks for all your advice -- I appreciate it! I might ask the gynecologist about an anti-depressant if I'm still having problems. I have heard that it helps.
                Namaste

-----------------------
                Diagnosed with:

Meds:

Comment

Working...
                X