Lidoderm Patches 5% for VV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lidoderm Patches 5% for VV

Just recently got an Rx for these and OMG, the VV relief is incredible. The patches are abot 4x6 inches, can be cut into whatever size you need. I've been cutting one into 3 pieces...2 for the lower back IC pain, and one to use as a panty liner for VV relief. I also have lidocaine gel, but have to reapply often to get the same relief that these patches give for my VV...they're to be applied for 12 hours on, 12 hours off. There is no generic, so they are more expensive than lidocaine gel, but if you have a mail order Rx plan, could be ordered for less. At Walmart they are reg price $210 for 30 patches, but with my Rx plan were $40. And like I said they can be cut into different sizes to get pain relief where you need. I think with my mail order plan I can get 3 months (90 patches) worth for $60, so just $20 a box. They are my new best friend I have tried some on my pelvic area to see if they would help with bladder pain and burning, but I think the bladder is just too far below the surface for the lidocaine to reach. Hope some of you get a chance to try these patches for VV.

I have been using the lidoderm patches for about 2 1/2 years. I love them. I use one across my bladder area and one across my back and then cut one up and put it across my right hip area (prudenal nerve area for me). I have VV and have tried to use it there,but can't get it to stay put. How do you use it for a panty liner? Do you just pull it off every time you go to the bathroom? Sorry if this is too much info, but I am curious. I have been using the ointment for the last month. My doctor told me to put it on a cotton ball and put in on my vulva and just leave it there. This works well except I sometimes don't have time to get it off when I have to go to the restroom really suddenly. Thanks for your help.

Janice

Comment

patches

I also have the Lidoderm patches 5% and love them! I am confused though about using them as a "pantyliner." The medicine is absorbed through your skin but only on the sticky gel side---that gel is the medicine so if it's sticking to your underwear I don't see how it could work. Unless I'm just not understanding. As for me, I place a full 4X6 patch directly over the bladder area and then if I'm having burning down there I will cut 1/3 of a patch and place it right on the hair. Which I have to keep very short so it'll stay put for 12 hours. And thank goodness for insurance b/c these are very pricey.
      Lee Ann
      Current Rx Meds:
      Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
      Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
      Hooray for babies!
      Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
      Didn't work for me:
      Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
      IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Those of you who know how to use the Lidocaine 5% patches for VV need to share your secrets with the rest of us. Since the Lidocaine is absorb through the sticky side, how do you use it as a panty liner? If you don't use the patches as a panty liner, tell us how you use the patches for relief of VV symptoms.

Comment

ooooh

Oooooh okay, now I get it! Thanks!!
          Lee Ann
          Current Rx Meds:
          Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
          Hooray for babies!
          Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
          Didn't work for me:
          Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Rx plan

Hi Briza!
            I'm super lucky. I work at a hospital and my insurance is awesome. My doctor wrote out a three month supply for one copay of $20. So I got 90 patches for $20. Actually, all of my scripts are written this way. I save so much money. The only catch is that I had to get drugs filled at my hospital's pharmacy, no where else. But w/ a price like that, who cares?!!! $630 vs twenty bucks for these patches! Thank heavens for insurance!!! They are sooo expensive. I would not be able to afford them without it.

Have you ever noticed that they make your skin feel rubbery? My husband will rub my belly and he says my skin feels weird where the patch is---well, I mean it feels weird w/ the patch off. I've also noticed that I am somewhat numb for many hours after the patch is off---but the only way I can tell is if I scratch the spot---I can't feel it as much as surrounding skin.
            Lee Ann
            Current Rx Meds:
            Hooray for babies!
            Didn't work for me:

Comment

Hi,

Do these patches help with the redness/inflammation as well as the pain? Of course, you may not have any visible redness.

Anyway, i thought I read somewhere that long-term lidocaine use might actually help the underlying problem, not just the symptoms.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this! I am going to ask my Uro about them on Thursday. Do you notice any itching from it? I do get itching after using the gel for so long.

Comment

Hi,

Intercourse is at the moment totally out of the question for me, unfortunately. I'm completely red.

This is what I read about lidocaine (from http://www.guideline.gov/summary/sum...px?doc_id=6821
                  . It makes intuitive sense to me, but who knows.

I'm certainly going to discuss it with my doctor on Tuesday.

Long-term use of overnight topical lidocaine may minimize feedback amplification of pain and may allow for healing. Patients apply a copious amount of 5% lidocaine ointment to the affected area at bedtime and place a cotton ball generously coated with the 5% lidocaine ointment on the vestibule to assure overnight contact with the area (for 8 hours or more). It is important to use caution in using excessive amounts of lidocaine, because reports on lidocaine toxicity exist. Benzocaine, the anesthetic in Vagicaine (Clay-Park Laboratories, Inc. Bronx, NY) and Vagisil (Combe Inc., White Plains, NY), has a propensity to produce allergic contact dermatitis and should be avoided. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl; Warner Wellcome, Morris Plains, NJ) is present in many topical anesthetic and anti-itch preparations; this also is a common sensitizer to be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                  X