Estrogen and VV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estrogen and VV

As many of you know who have read my posts; I am 12 weeks out from a hysterectomy which was elective. I found that any type of progesterone made my vulvar symptoms go nuts and had a progestin medicated IUD put in called Mirena which only releases progestin directly into the uterine lining. Mirena was originally developed as a BC method, but it was soon found out it was great for HRT, bleeding disorders such as fibroids, and stopped periods after about 4 months.
    Although I was doing well with the Mirena (I have a uterus full of fibroids that was enlarged), I had to be conservative with my estrogen dose or I could restart post menopausal bleeding from the fibroids. If the estrogen dose got too low, then the VV acted up. It was an exhausting fine line.
    I am so glad I had the hyster! I no longer have to take any progesterones, with my enlarged uterus gone my bladder symptoms of pressure are just not there anymore. I am taking a large enough dose of estrogen that my VV symptoms have been non existant.
    For me, estrogen was the critical factor in VV symptoms. I could predict my estrogen serum level by my vulvar symptoms. This used to freak out my Gyno, but I could, honest!
    If you are having a lot of problem VV symptoms, insist on at least a trial of Estrace vaginal cream and have your serum levels checked, they should be a minimum of 100 for bladder and vulvar health.
    Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
    Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Estrace cream for VV

Hi: I'm glad that estrogen cream is relieving your symptoms. I apply Estrace cream topically. Do you insert it inside? If so, how often and how much?? The Gyno I see has me using it 3 times a day. Some days I don't have pain, and others I have burning, dryness, rawness. In addition to having Vestibulitis, I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis in 1982. That's in remission according to a Dermatologist I saw. I'm also post-menopausal for good measure and have a large kidney stone that my Urologist doesn't want to treat yet.

Comment

HI,

Thanks for the post!

Is the level of 100 for all times of the month, or soes one need to be checked at a specific point in the cycle? Do you happen to know?

Thanks!

Originally posted by sami4 View Post
      As many of you know who have read my posts; I am 12 weeks out from a hysterectomy which was elective. I found that any type of progesterone made my vulvar symptoms go nuts and had a progestin medicated IUD put in called Mirena which only releases progestin directly into the uterine lining. Mirena was originally developed as a BC method, but it was soon found out it was great for HRT, bleeding disorders such as fibroids, and stopped periods after about 4 months.
      Although I was doing well with the Mirena (I have a uterus full of fibroids that was enlarged), I had to be conservative with my estrogen dose or I could restart post menopausal bleeding from the fibroids. If the estrogen dose got too low, then the VV acted up. It was an exhausting fine line.
      I am so glad I had the hyster! I no longer have to take any progesterones, with my enlarged uterus gone my bladder symptoms of pressure are just not there anymore. I am taking a large enough dose of estrogen that my VV symptoms have been non existant.
      For me, estrogen was the critical factor in VV symptoms. I could predict my estrogen serum level by my vulvar symptoms. This used to freak out my Gyno, but I could, honest!
      If you are having a lot of problem VV symptoms, insist on at least a trial of Estrace vaginal cream and have your serum levels checked, they should be a minimum of 100 for bladder and vulvar health.
      Sammi

Comment

Hey Sami first of all I want to say I am happy that you found something that gives you relief. I would also like to ask you do you know anytime about Estring (not sure about the spelling) it is to help with the dryness.

This stuff is completely new to me. I have never used none of this stuff. Do you know if this stuff is good or hear any report on it.

Take care, Trishann

Comment

VV and estrogen

Estring is a vaginal insert silicone ring which contains estradiol. The estradiol is bio identical and it releases estradiol continously for up to about 90 days. It is inserted into the vagina, kind of like a diaphragm. Some women love it, other find it hard to insert.
          I used the Estrace cream vaginally 2 mg a night for two weeks, then 2 mg twice a week for maintenance. I also use it around the vulva (outside) nightly or every other night.
          Some women like the vaginal estrogen slow release pill called Vagifem as they think its less messy than a cream. I like the drip effect of the cream as it is soothing to me. I personally, didnt care for Vagifem. It seemed to be mildly irritating; probably something in the fillers bothered me. A lot of women use it and like it though. You just have to try and see?
          Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.

Comment

Estrogen levels

I like to keep my estrogen serum level no lower than 90-100 at all times. If you are on a continous dose of replacement, this is easy to do. I find that marker by having a estrogen blood test four hours after use, that will give you the highest level or peak, then again at 8-10 hours after dosing. That will give you close to the bottom. You want your bottom level to stay in the range that you feel best with. I would take an 80 for that as long as I wasnt having any vulvar symptoms, but would prefer a 90.
            If taking oral estrogen, I would divide the dose to get a steadier level, if taking creams or gels, I would do twice a day, three times if I was having a problem keeping a level. Sometimes the creams and gels absorb differently and you need to tink with them a little more.
            If you are on cyclical HRT, then when I started the progesterone phase before a bleed, I would add more estrogen to control my vulvar symptoms. I dont think everyone reacts so badly to progesterone, but I sure did. Thats why I opted for the progesterone medicated IUD so I wouldnt have a systemic effect. It kept my uterine lining around 3.5 which is what it was at the time of my hyster.
            Sammi

Sammi

Comment

Thanks Sami for the information. I do appreciate it.

Take care, Trishann

Comment

Does the OB know how to check hormone levels?

Comment

Who tests levels?

If you ask your physician; general, OB/Gyn, or any Doc for an estradiol test they can order it. If you are lucky enough to live in a state where mobile labs set up testing sites, all you have to do is go and pay them 30.00 and they send you the test (here in AZ thats the case with almost any type or kind of medical test; blood test, body scans). If you dont live where you can order tests without a doctor, but want to, there are ways to do this too. If you want to do that email me at [email protected] and I will tell you. Everytime I post this the board deletes it. Apparently their stance is that only a doctor should order tests? Go figure, since its your body and your money?
                  Sammi

Sammi

Comment

My mother was given Vulvodynia Supplements the other day but shes afraid to take them because of all her allergies. Should I convince her to take them. Dr Berman is trying, but my moms not helping herself. Shes in a awful lot of pain

1. Metabolic Synergy 180 Vegetarian Capsules
                    2. Inflammatone 120 Capsules
                    3. Brain Vitale 60 Vegetarian Capsules
                    4. Omega Synergy 90 Softgels

Comment

Working...
                    X