vaginal dialators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaginal dialators

Has anyone used these? My PT suggested trying it to see if it would help with pain with intercourse. I have always had pain with intercourse and nothing seems to help. Just want to get some feedback before I spend 100 on something that might not help. Biofeedback is helping with urgency/frequency and overall pain but not with pain with intercourse.
    Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Oh yeah, I had to use those during PT. Honestly, what worked for me even better than those was the crystal wand. But you probably need your PT to show you how to use it. I swear that thing works miracles. I used to have tight muscles down there, too and it hurt! Using that wand kinda hurt but not bad. But the results were so fast! http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Crystal.../dp/B000PC9O9Q
    Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hi Ginaaa22,

One of the things the dilators are good for is teaching your body to relax when something is there, as opposed to tensing up in anticipation. Did your PT discuss the different exercises you do with them?

In regards to intercourse, what I found helped me, once I felt I was ready to try, was a breathing technique (one that you actually do while using a dilator, involving Kegels), relaxing, and using the right lubricant.

Dx IC
      Dx VV
      Dx PFD
      Dx LS
      *All diagnosed in July 2010
      Dx Anxiety Disorder, Spring 2005

Treatments:
      Hydroxyzine
      Nortriptyline
      Elmiron
      IC Diet
      Bladder Instillments
      Triamcinolone
      Topicort
      Bactroban
      Lidocaine
      Physical Therapy
      Mind-Body Relaxation Techniques

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Comment

I am in PT right now. Not to be too explicit but it doesnt hurt if a probe or something is inside my vagina it hurts when it moves. If it is still it causes no pain. So the thrusting of sex is what hurts.
        Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

Hmm...I wonder if the pain is the result of tensed muscles being "hit". My PT did some internal stretching and release techniques on me that seemed to help. I have noticed that since I have stopped seeing my PT (she was out-of-network )those muscles have tensed back up and I do experience pain and discomfort now. Also, one of the exercises that your therapist would have you do with dilators in not just to help your body get used to something being there, but get it used to movement.

I would definitely have your PT work on stretching and release techniques to see if that is the problem. Also, I noticed in your original post that you didn't want to spend $100 on something that might now work. My dilators didn't cost that much. The doctor I see recommended this set: http://www.vaginismus.com/products/dilator_set

Dx IC
          Dx VV
          Dx PFD
          Dx LS
          *All diagnosed in July 2010
          Dx Anxiety Disorder, Spring 2005

Treatments:
          Hydroxyzine
          Nortriptyline
          Elmiron
          IC Diet
          Bladder Instillments
          Triamcinolone
          Topicort
          Bactroban
          Lidocaine
          Physical Therapy
          Mind-Body Relaxation Techniques

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Comment

Working...
          X