Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulvodynia Biopsy??

Hi All,
    I don't visit the forums as often as I used to because my IC is for the most part under control with elmiron, elavil, and atarax. When I flare, I increase my elavil for a week or so and my bladder calms down. I had a really bad yeast infection about a month ago. It got better briefly using Diflucan but then the burning started again. My gyn called in two more Diflucan tablets but it didn't help. I went back in and had to see a different doctor since mine was on vacation. He did a culture and it showed I now had a bacterial infection. I took Flagyl for seven days but I still continued to burn and could not sit comfortably. I went in to see him again and he gave me Nystatin ointment that burned when I put it on. I went back again Friday and he said inside the vagina looked fine but I was red and swollen outside. He was very nice but said he didn't know what was causing the burning and swelling. After searching for an answer I think that it may be vulvodynia. I am taking 2 Advil and 5 mg of xanax every five hours and it helps takes the edge off. I also increased my elavil to 75 mg. I am waiting for a call back for an appointment with my regular gyn who has been out of town but if a biopsy needs to be done, who does that? Does the gyn do it or do you have to go to a dermatologist or surgeon?
    Jean

I don't know about a biopsy, I didn't have one when I was diagnosed with VV.

I have found lidocaine Ont helps, it burns when you first put it on but then helps.

I have tried 2 types 2% gel and 5% Ont. I think freezing wise they both work about the same, but the gel doesn't stay on as long so doesn't last as long, the Ont being thicker stays in place longer.

The person to ask is Britza, she says she gets lidocaine patches, or something or the sort and figured out just how you should use these.

I freeze a bottle of water and then hold it between my legs, the cold helps things feel better too.

It took me a while what caused a long bad flare, it turned out to be the laundry soap.

When at home I wear mens boxers, they are a little longer in the crotch, or pj bottoms, Cotton only. For me tight pants or non breathing spandex makes it all worse.

When my skin is sore, raw, itchy, swollen or any of the symptoms, I used RX hemorrhoid Ont. It is made for skin in that area of your body, has antiinflammitory, has the lidocaine, it reduces swelling, helps the skin heal up faster, and the Ont, gives the skin a barrier so when you pee, it doesn't get in contact with the skin.

Word of caution you need to get this from a Dr. OTC is no where near the same and has stuff in it that can make you worse.

I know this is difficult to deal with and it takes time to resolve, but search old posts and you will find a lot of self help ideas.

MG
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I also had a biopsy done years ago and my flare up also came right after a horrible yeast infection. They kept giving me creams to use and most if not all of them made it worse. I finally gave up, stopped all the creams and started sitz baths with Aveeno oatmeal and baking soda. The biopsy showed chronically irritated skin. Gee I could have told them that! I should have just used pure vitamin E oil like I do now but didn't think of it then. It finally went away on its own once I started using only baking soda in the wash to wash my underwear, bought only white non chlorine bleached toilet paper, and used lots of ice. I hope you find relief soon I know how painful this can be.

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies. I saw my regular gyn on Monday and he thinks it is irritated skin (like Earthlady) but I also still have a lingering yeast infection. He does not think I have vulvodynia. He gave me Diflucan again and Clobetasol ointment for the outside which is the area that bothers me the most when sitting (and I sit most of the day). He wants me to use the ointment twice a day for 6 weeks. I read about the baking soda sitz baths and I will try that too. I bring my own toilet paper to work because what we have is like sandpaper. For Earthlady: Do you just rub vitamin E oil on the outside area and how often?

Comment

I pretty much put it everywhere down there. The problem with it though is it's pretty sticky if you get a heavy vit e oil. They make vit E vaginal suppositories of all things too. The stickiness is a small price to pay though for the help it gives me. I use it when I'm feeling irritation starting and don't usually need to use it for days on end. They kept telling me I still had some residual yeast going on but when I got to another doctor and he did a culture for yeast he said there was none. That's when I just stopped all the creams they kept giving me. The anti yeast creams just made it worse. I upped my probiotics and vit B-12 and went without underwear while at home.

Comment

Before I was diagnosed with vulvadynia I would frequently take diflucan for what I thought was a yeast infection. It was reside and I would still have inflammation and burning, itching and rawness. I believe I developed my vulvadynia because of having so many yeast infections and the skin down there not knowing how to act normally from sending all the mixed signals to the brain. I went through this for 5-6 years before I was diagnosed. The information the others gave you is great. The good thing is...if you do have vulvadynia alot of the same meds are used that treat IC too. I was given elavil, atarax, neurotin, lidocain cream, nyastatin, diflucan and flagyl. If your already taking those for your IC then there isnt much more you can do. Physical therapy helped me greatly with my vulvadynia. I did not have to have a biopsy to be diagnosed.
            Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

Hi All,
              After two weeks of Clobetasol ointment I only have marginal improvement. I saw my gyn on Tuesday and he did a biopsy because what he has tried so far hasn't worked and he really doesn't know what I have. It did hurt. I guess my worse fear is that the biopsy will show nothing and I won't have an answer--like being on the IC runaround for years before I was diagnosed. The discomfort I have now is strange, though. At the top of my inner thighs where my panty line is on both legs is very irritated when I have panties on. Worse than that is irritation on the back of both legs right where my buttocks meet the top of my legs--all the way across the back of both legs. It is not red or irritated and looks normal. My doctor has no idea what this is. It is not as bad when I don't have panties on but still there. Anyone had this type of irritation? It's really difficult to sit all day at work.

Comment

you could try one of the IC cushions which are sold in the ICN store. the link is above "the icn shop." That has helped me.
                Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

Comment

Working...
                X