Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Creams

Hello everyone.

Recently contact a compounding pharmacy to enquire about the cost of Vaginal Valium, 2% Amitriptyline and 2% Baclofen cream and or estrogen and testosterone compound cream.

Could I make a general enquiry to everyone here about what compound they are using, what percentage and what bases are being used. Also the cost!

Below is the email I got from the pharmacy and to me it seems very expensive. Just wondering what others are paying after co pay and all that. Just to buy the creams/ suppositories outright what is it costing?

"Hi Claire,

Thanks for your enquiry.

We can compound the diazepam suppository. While we could make the suppository from the tablets, I would rather use the pure diazepam powder for you to reduce any extra ingredients in the product. We would need to order the powder in for you, which should only take a few days providing there is stock in Australia. To give you an idea of price, $30 supps would be approx. $89.

There has been some good results with amitriptyline (the drug in ENDEP), baclofen and gabapentin in a transdermal cream. Feedback from other pharmacists overseas is that these drugs should definitely be in a penetrating cream base and that the best tolerated seems to be lipoderm. My estimate to compound a cream like this would be approx. $185 for 100g or $132 for 50g.

The estradiol 0.03% and Testosterone0.1% cream is usually $75. This cost may vary if we decide to make a cream base from scratch so that it contains no preservatives etc. We would need to talk more about cream bases that you can/can’t tolerate."

We need to get this stuff more readily available in Aus!

Thanks everyone!

Claire
    TMJ Dysfunction 2009
    Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
    IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
    PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
    Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
    Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
    Endep 25mg - 4months
    Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
    Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
    Countless creams, lotions and potions.
    Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
    PT - for 1 year
    Various herbs and supplements

Hey Claire- Found out my compounded base is a versa cream with 2% Estriol. So far so good. No irritation.

Comment

It costs me $45.00 for 30 grams. I use 1grm 2 - 3 times a week.

Comment

Thanks

I have just requested a saliva hormone test from my doc. This tests for only free hormones where as blood tests for free and bound so is less accurate. This will show my baseline hormones and see if there is a problem there. Then I can work on what compound of hormones to use. If it should be estrogen only or both estrogen and testosterone. Im forking out a lot for this test so I hope it shows something. Doc wouldn't give me a hormone cream without first testing my baseline. So I'll have to wait.

I think I will see how this goes first before trying the AB cream or Vaginal Valium

Thanks for getting the base. After speaking with a seperate compouding pharm versa base is the one they would use anyway.

Thanks

Claire
        TMJ Dysfunction 2009
        Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
        IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
        PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
        Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
        Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
        Endep 25mg - 4months
        Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
        Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
        Countless creams, lotions and potions.
        Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
        PT - for 1 year
        Various herbs and supplements

Comment

Yeah I imagine that would be important to know what your baseline hormone levels are to begin with. I don't have to worry about that now as I'm done with the monthly hormone cycles.

Comment

Gabapentin Cream 4%

My urogyn just prescribed me 4% gabapentin cream in a versabase. Had to discontinue after a few days because it touched off significant vulvar burning. Other VVS patients, however, have had excellent success.

Comment

I picked up a compounded prescription yesterday of 2.5% Baclofen, 2.5% Amitriptylene, and 2.5% Gabapentin. My copay was $44 for 30 grams. The pharmacist had to call my doctor's office because he didn't write what kind of base to use and how to dispense it. He was told it would be used vaginally but I'm not sure if the doctor specified a base or if the pharmacist picked the base. All I know is that it burns for about 15 minutes after I insert it. This is probably a stupid question but...normally if I use something vaginally I do it at bedtime but if this compounded drug is for pain should I use it in the mornings so that it will work during the day while I am awake?

Comment

Working...
              X