Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin??

Hi,

I have a question regarding anti-depressants...

Has anyone on here had success with Wellbutrin XL or SR to treat depression from pain meds and just plain depression because of IC and chronic illness?

Thanks.
    Diagnosed in 2007, but had IC symptoms since 2002. My current regimen includes: home instillations of Marcaine, Heparin and Solu-Medrol plus vaginal valium suppositories nightly. I also use Tramadol for pain as needed.

April,

Hi its April again!!!!

My doctor is wanting to put me on Wellbutrin to see if it will help with the pain. Having troubles getting insurance to approve it but will let you know how it goes once I start taking it - if I get that chance. I am really sensitive to anti-depressants so not holding out too much hope but we shall see.

Have you started taking it yet?

Comment

Hi April and April
      I take wellbutrin Xl and it dose not help my pain, but it may help yours, seeing we are all so different when it comes to meds.
      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Hey April

Originally posted by aprilmae
        April,

Hi its April again!!!!

My doctor is wanting to put me on Wellbutrin to see if it will help with the pain. Having troubles getting insurance to approve it but will let you know how it goes once I start taking it - if I get that chance. I am really sensitive to anti-depressants so not holding out too much hope but we shall see.

Have you started taking it yet?
        Hey April, it's me, April! How neat to find another April. It's an interesting name. Hey, do you have freckles, fair skin and red hair? Just wondering. As for the Wellbutrin, it works really well to keep me from crying all the time (which is what pain medicines make me do)..esp. Percocet and I have noticed that the more potent the narcotic, the more I cry for some reason. Side effect???? So, I can't say what it will do as to pain, but I can say that it helps with my emotions...and my husband notices that I don't get AS extremely emotional and cry all the time, which is really good for our relationship. So, my plan is that as long as I am on narcotics, I am going to take Wellbutrin, in some form. I found out that I can get the SR free on base, so I am going to ask my doctor because right now I am on XL and I would like to try to "free" one if there's not much difference in them.

Anyway, Wellbutrin was very different for me because I was on it before a crazy doctor on a military base decided to stop ALL my meds, I mean my thyroid meds and bp meds and all. What an idiot. Separate story, sorry. Anyway, I LOST weight on the Wellbutrin so that was really great because others, as you may know, make you gain usually. I would say overall that Wellbutrin has been the best antidepressant I have been on and I have been on alot (Lexapro, Elavil, Effexor) to name just a few. I think they have tried about every one with me and I, too, am sensitive to them.

Anyway, good luck with it. In it's regular (not timed released form), it comes in generic as Buproprion. You MIGHT have better luck getting your insurance to approve the generic, but unlike XL or SR, it's not sustained or extended release and you may have to take it more than once a day is all. Some people also feel different on the XL or SR than regular. Anyway, just a thought.
        Diagnosed in 2007, but had IC symptoms since 2002. My current regimen includes: home instillations of Marcaine, Heparin and Solu-Medrol plus vaginal valium suppositories nightly. I also use Tramadol for pain as needed.

Comment

Oh, April and anyone else, please let me know how it goes if you take Wellbutrin, regular, XL or SR.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi April:

I tried Wellbutrin two weeks ago and it actually caused me to flare. I was upset because it really helped my depression. I've had to stop taking it and return to using cymbalta. I tried the Wellbutrin because the cymbalta was triggering my migraines. Now, I'm just trying to take the lowest dose possible and trying other meds to control my migraines.

Hope this helps.>Meemer

PS> I was born in April. Does that count?

Comment

Hello April:

Im on wellbutrin SR 300mg a day total. I LOVE IT!!! It helps me deal with severe depression and panic attacks. If it wasn't for this I would fall off my rocker And to boot it kills my appetite Well anyway, to sum it up, its a great med for me and I have practically tried them all. Its all about what works for you! Good luck and PM me with any question.

Erika
              IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
              Interstim Since 5/25/07!
              Birth Control

Comment

I love Wellbutrin too. I am a little overweight, not obese, but could lose about twenty pounds and it would be great. I love the fact that there's a great balance that is achieved with appetite suppression and control of depression and anxiety attacks. Since being home all day and not working at all, I have wanted to eat everything and the IC diet seems to cut out all fruits and leaves you with a lot of carbs...which we all love, which are worse for keeping weight off...and hypothyroidism does not help.

I am so glad this board is here. I learned about instillations from it and they have saved my life!

Comment

Working...
                X