Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else cry over having to wear sweat pants all the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Arly, have you tried Footsmart.com? I don't know if they ship to Australia, but I do know they have a lot of really nice, extremely comfortable shoes. They even have shoes specifically designed for people with foot problems. They're kind of expensive, but generally very high quality.

OK, here's what I wear at home: flannel pants. You know, they are usually plaid, elastic waist -- they sell them at Costco in packs of four for some insanely low price. With a loose t-shirt, I look more or less "dressed" rather than in pj's. At least right around here where I live, they are considered like sweatpants, and you can wear them out in public. Swimmers tend to wear them instead of sweats, and my town is a huge swimming power so everyone is used to seeing the flannel pants around.

I have gotten some good, v. stretchy capris at Walmart. And I often wear long skirts if I'm going out. Always elastic waists, with shirts tucked out. Or with a cami-bra type shirt, and an open button down shirt over that. It looks very pulled-together, but is as comfortable as wearing sweats. Light-weight fabric, long skirts are one of the coolest things you can wear in the summer, because you get the breeze all the way up your legs.

I don't have VV but I do sometimes get urethral irritation from the seam of pants. It is much better if I wear a panty-liner, that seems to keep the seam from pressing in.

Leave a comment:

• shelbyriva
    replied
    I wear all Lululemon products which are made for Yoga so very flexible I think I own 12 pairs of pants......pants, crop pants, tops, jackets, shorts, sweat shirts, sweat pants. They are expensive...but well worth it, never loose their shape, their colour and never wear out. I dress them up with a nice shirt, sandles or even kitten heel shoes and wear to work. I too have seen some good stuff at Old Navy......they have some good crop pants and gaucho pants too.

Leave a comment:

• inlove96
    replied
    I agree 100%. I was unable to wear anything cute or sexy for years, due to the IC and being on BC and making more fluids. I now have been off BC for 6 months and all seems well. But I have been in your shoes before. I am sorry.

Leave a comment:

• girl
    replied
    Wouldn't that be the ultimate in comfort though???

Didn't offend me! I reread it and found it funny too!!

Leave a comment:

• waterflow
    replied
    girl, for a second there I thought when you said you didn't wear pants at all you were going around in your undies. Sorry, I don't mean to affend you by saying that but it made me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    Check out consignment stores in your local phone book. My daughter is hooked on one here in Charlotte, and the clothes are made for her age (young teen) and cost less than half what they would new. There are lots of consignment stores for us "adult" women too!

Leave a comment:

• girl
    replied
    I just don't wear pants at all. Never. (oops, except to sleep in in the winter, flannel pj pants).
    I find skirts, especially the drawstring kind, to be much more "forgiving" of my IC, and my husband prefers me in them, anyway.
    How do you all stand the crotch on pants that aren't really, really loose, like sweatpants? I wore a pair of old, jeans to ride the ATV in, and had the flare from heck. It was extremely uncomfortable the whole time.
    I've been wearing skirts now for about 12 years - doubt I would ever go back to pants!

Leave a comment:

• Kara29
    replied
    I like to wear old navy cargo pants and american eagle sweat pants, but I have to say that the most comfortable thing I own are medical scrubs. When I get home, I change into them as soon as I can. They are baggy enough to not constrict "those areas" And if I have to go out in them, people will just think I work in a Hospital or Doctor's Office. I love the idea of consignment shops and the goodwill.

Leave a comment:

• **Angie**
    replied
    Amartiangirl--I definitely need a support group for my goodwill/deseret shopping. It's an addiction. If you don't go you might miss the deal of the century--the thrill of the hunt. I have a "goodwill outlet" near me that they charge $1.39 lb. Let me tell you you can buy alot of stuff for $1.39. I love to go there. I've only been able to go once in the last 2 mos due to surgery and then I was only physically able to stay 1/2 hr. It takes at least 2hr to go thru everything. They have hse wares and furniture too. I'm going tomorrow!!! My husband will call me in the afternoon on my cell phone (when I'm not home) and tell me before he says hello "to put it down and walk out". You'd think all I did was go to the goodwill--I do have to grocery shop sometimes too.
    I've gotten all my stretchy pants from thriftstores. I pay .50 for the pants and $8 for hemming--I'm really short. That's cheap. (I buy alot of capris too) I feel good in stretch pants, I'm comfortable and when you feel good about yourself you look good. Who cares what anyone else says.

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Hi waterflow,
    You should wear what is comfortable for you. I think it was very insensitive for your PT to make a comment on that. Heck, all my pants are elastic or drawstring at the waist. It is what is comfortable for me since I have stomach issues as well as the IC. I miss wearing jeans sometimes, but to be honest, I am more comfortable wearing the elastic and drawstring pants.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• amartaingirl
    replied
    i have your solution

the solution
    The Good Will Store!!

i too gained some weight..but refused to spend money on fat clothes..as i had no intent on staying that way

i went to the good will store
    and oh my god!
    they have name brand stuff...some even with the tags still on it

now you have to have patience when you go there
    and its a 2 hour minimun ...because nothings really in order of size

you have to dig..but its well worth
    i have soo many clothes...how many you ask?
    let me tell you this

It was NYD 01/01/2007
    i was cleaning out my closet
    hubby said to me...you don't wear half that crap in there !!

well, thats all it took
    i vowed that i would wear everything in there.
    and i have been wearing and wearing and wearing..
    and its now almost june...and i have not repeated an outfit!

holy moly. there must be a support group for that
    anyway, everybit of it came from the goodwill.
    and everybit of it is name brand

i still go to the goodwill..but i look for antiques now.
    as i have way to many clothes.
    i watch the antqiue roadshow on pbs...then i go out and look for that junk.
    who knows..i may hit the jackpot some day

but please check it out

as for the loose weight part.
    the easiest way for me...is to eat nothing but cereal for a week
    its just starts it comming off..which is the motivation i need to work out...or put down the cake.

Leave a comment:

• Hollyd
    replied
    Waterflow, I'm staggered your PT said that to you! I thought she'd get on you for not wearing comfortable clothes!! That's truly awful.

Girls, I hear ya and I can top you too....I have arthritis in my left foot and last year b4 I was sick I went all over this city I live in trying to find even reasonable looking, let alone nice looking street shoes I can wear without hurting my foot and making it worse. I found nothing. I was crying then. I finally ended up getting a really good pair of hiking shoes that are kind of like runners too. Because I have a narrow foot I have to wear very thick socks with them so I fill them out and don't further damage my foot. I got by with my jeans, though I so love to wear dresses *sigh*

Not that I go anywhere but short walks if I'm lucky or to dr. appts but imagine how I'm looking w/ NO options to wear but stretchy track pants and these shoes. I'd LOVE to do the boots and skirts thing. On top of that my husband (who now has to shop for me) has tried twice at our local HUGE shopping mall to find a pair of decent looking stretchy pants and there were none to be found. At home I'm wearing one yucky pair that came from K-Mart and bag out very quickly. It doesn't exactly add to your good feelings about yourself or cheer you up to go like this day after day.

In Australia you don't have good online buying options like in the US. I've even tried to see if I could get something from the US but either they had nothing nice or wouldn't ship here.

In the summer I was able to wear skirts and sandals (though the $180 pair of sandals I wore stretched out quickly and really hurt my foot from overusage keeping them on and they're ugly old lady looking sandals!) but now it's heading into winter. I was already miserable and now this!

What kind of disease is this that causes you so much pain, doesn't allow you to have sex, eat chocolate (or in my case hardly ANYTHING because I have to go gluten free as well) and you have to dress like a slob? Am I in a nightmare?

It's not my tummy that's the problem in my clothes, it's tight crotches. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    I always shop at the retail shops cuz my weight goes up and down.

Leave a comment:

• ICLori
    replied
    That's a great idea, ICNDonna! Gosh, I get about half (or maybe more) of my clothes from those places, and I feel good that I'm helping the poor and also recycling (sort of.) I also like that I'm not spending too much on my wardrobe, and being a thrifty wife! And you can find some beautiful things in those stores sometimes. I just love going to thrift shops!

Long, loose skirts (southwestern style prairie type skirts, if you know what style I'm talking about) could be both flattering and comfortable, and also some maternity wear might have a lot more give in the tummy area so that it wouldn't be pressing on your sensitive bladder so much.

But I'm sure you look just fine in the sweatpants - everyone wears sweatpants these days, and they are very fashionable! So I'm sure you look just great as it is. But if you are kind of getting tired of one style of clothing, maybe the skirts or something might be fun to try just for a change. Sometimes it's fun just to wear something different - I think it lifts the spirit to have a "new" outfit or two!

Blessings,
    Lori

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    If you're really limited on funds, if you have a St. Vincent dePaul or Goodwill store near you, they have some very nice clothing. And you can pick up a pair of pants for $5 or less. I have a friend who buys almost all of her clothes there.

Donna

Leave a comment:

Working...
X