X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lauriemp4
    replied
    Thank you

Hi everyone thank you for the replies. I feel much better after reading all your own experiences and struggles that you went through first, and still going through.

Leave a comment:

• VickiB
    replied
    Originally posted by lauriemp4 View Post
    Does anyone feel like this? Am I all alone in these feelings?
    Nope, -not alone! I can remember 7 years ago standing in the grocery store, newly printed IC diet in hand, reading salad dressing ingredient labels and holding back tears. What a dirty turn of events this IC was!

Like Donna, I can say now that I no longer miss the things I had to give up. I look at them and the anticipation of their flavor is now replaced by the anticipation of pain. My temptation level to eat them is equal to my temptation to stick my hand in a campfire. For most items I have found substitutions that work just as well.

There are a few foods which had pleasant memories attached to them and those still bother me a little. But I know it's the memory (people) I'm missing, not the food itself.

It does get easier with time!
    Vicki

Leave a comment:

• penneyjo
    replied
    I can certainly relate to what you are saying. I go through times where I just accept it, and sometimes it hits me again that I can't have those foods/drinks. I look forward to the day I just do it and don't have to think about it and let it get me down. I think Kadi has a great philosophy about it and gave me some new ideas. My biggest problem is sticking straight to what I can have (which is good to do), but not trying to be inventive and make things in new ways. I have to make myself do that and not just eat plain chicken, plain everything. I was at a community theater program last night and saw people walking by me with cokes and chocolate bars. They don't even give it a thought how lucky they are that they can have it.

I was a big chocolate eater, so when I found out about this, I went out and bought every kind of sweet that I thought I would like and found some new things that I have learned to like. At least that was something to look forward to. I love Tahoe cookies from Pepperidge Farms and make Toll House cookies with carob chips that are delicious. Now, to make regular food good!

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    replied
    You're not alone

Originally posted by lauriemp4 View Post
    Hi all,
    Since I was very young I have loved anything marinated in vinegar. I also love tomato sauce and cheeses.

And now I can't have any of those foods! I feel like I lost a best friend. I must have been addicted to those foods because I feel all messed up that I can"t have them.

I think we can ALL relate to how you feel. Believe me, you're not alone. Cheese is not totally out, mozzarella , jack, provolone should all be ok. I'm allright with a lighter cheddar too, sharp not so much. Some people are fine with sour cream as long as it doesn't have citric acid in it (like Daisy brand). Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about that red sauce! Do you like alfredo or butter sauce? If you love chocolate, carob is actually pretty good.
    It gets easier as you do it. I have to admit I cheat once in awhile but I can always tell when I do. I love pepperjack cheese and salsa so its hard to go without those.....
    I'm not promoting cheating lol, it just helps keep me good the rest of the week if I allow myself one little cheat a week. Of course I don't get severe pain when I cheat, just a couple hours of discomfort and more frequency. We all are different.

Leave a comment:

• KatieB
    replied
    I understand!!

After I was dx'd I went thru and cleaned out my fridge. I guess the hardest group of foods I miss now are my fruits!! I can't wait til summer when it's watermelon season. Finally I'll have a fruit I like that I can eat!!!
    Also, while cleaning out the fridge I had to throw away a half empty bottle of Bloody Mary mix. I don't drink alcohol but I LOVE that stuff!! I would pour it over a glass of crushed ice and squeeze a lime in it and be in heaven. Now, I can't think of anything worse for me to drink or eat, but that doesn't make me miss it it want it any less.
    The diet is a toughie. I just wish there were more fruit choices. I love fruit and I'm sick to death of pears and blueberries. Oh well, I commiserate with you!!

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    i am still getting used to the idea of the diet too. i really dont want to do it unless i know for a fact my ic gets worse with certain foods..lol cuz i love food,trying new types of food and am creative in my choices.i too love chocolate,tomatoes,and citrus fruits. i can relate.
    i think what you should do which im planning on doing is looking at the list and circling the foods you CAN have or that you liked in the past before the ic instead of focusing on what you cant have,which there is a lot you cant have with this diet that many people enjoy.there is hope if you can focus on what you can have.. im going to check out the diet/recipe section on this forum and maybe i will change my mind about this diet thing. good luck

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Yes, when I first started the IC diet, I was miserable. I live in the SF Bay Area and most of my social life revolved around the many different ethnic restaurants here. I've since learned to cook for myself and have discovered that some things I didn't like initially, now I enjoy. Like Pero, a coffee substitute, I didn't like it at first, but learned to make it with hot milk & sugar and now I enjoy it in the mornings. I now make "tacos" with Trader Joe's taco shells, beans, lite mozzarella cheese, lettuce, and a little cream cheese instead of sour cream. Initially I didn't like them, but now I find that I do enjoy just the combination of beans, cheese & the corn tortilla shells.

It took time, but one thing that helped was to try lots of new recipes, and to also plan outings with friends that didn't revolve around food. And yes, it's hard, but I reminded myself a lot that it's worth it to follow the diet & to not have to cancel plans and obligations due to my triggering my own symptoms with food. That felt worse than just choosing to eat things that don't hurt me.

Someone here suggested that I think of the diet as a loving way to take care of myself that doesn't cost extra money, doesn't require any forms or hassles with insurance, and doesn't have side effects. That also helped a lot.

That all said, it is a big adjustment, so try to be patient & kind to yourself!

Leave a comment:

• lauriemp4
    replied
    Really! When you first had to give up those foods, did you miss them?

Do you eventually forget? and is there hope that I will like the new foods eventually?

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I absolutely agree that the diet is a challenge --- it took me a long time to come to terms with it. But believe me when I say that it's well worth the effort. I don't even miss most of the things I had to give up --- except for orange juice!

Warm hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• lauriemp4
    started a topic I miss the foods that I can't eat!

I miss the foods that I can't eat!

Hi all,

The week before my period is usually a hard emotional and depressing one. But now that I have been diagnosed with IC Cystitis I am frequently feeling like this.

Since I was very young I have loved anything marinated in vinegar. I also love tomato sauce and cheeses.

And now I can't have any of those foods! I feel like I lost a best friend. I must have been addicted to those foods because I feel all messed up that I can"t have them.

Working...
X