Anxiety over having IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety over having IC

I think I am in shock that I have this. I have changed my diet and have had good days. I just am so nervous about thinking that I used to be well and now I am not. I keep telling myself that I can do this and live my life,but then I just feel sad and negative. I want to get rid of this feeling and live my life. Any suggestions?

Therapy - talking to someone who will listen and can offer positive suggestions. Yoga, meditation, warm baths, doing whatever it is you do to relax. Medication, if you are willing and a doctor thinks it will help.

It's a scary thing being told you have a lifelong medical condition which has no cure.

For me I take a Xanax when I get too overwhelmed. But that's not an everyday medication I don't think. There are several though that are for daily use.

*hugs*

Comment

I am trying to find a support group in NJ. Also, I would like to talk with someone. My family and friends are great, but I feel this is all I talk about. I have Valium but I have to be able to function on a daily basis. I broke a piece off today and it did help. I just don't want to get the feeling that I must take it to live my life. This is such a big life change. I am fine with the eating thing, well it bothers me a little. I know I have to do it so I prevent pain. It is so great to talk with someone who has IC and gets what I am saying.

Comment

I totally get what you mean. It is easy to feel very alone when you have IC. That's why it was such a relief for me to find this forum! Even though we all have our own struggles it's so nice to know there are people who 'totally get it'.

I think what was scary for me was when doctors just looked at me like I was crazy. Like my first Uro who didn't get the 'urgency' of the matter at all. "Oh, we'll do the cysto in a few week, oh you can have a CT in a couple of months. Here's some Flomax and Vesicare, see ya!" I was devestated. He was also the same doctor who wouldn't give me (or refer me) to get anxiety or pain meds because, "It could make it worse." Really? He was a loon.

So between my new Uro who specializes in IC and this forum I get to let the, "I am the only one with this what I am going to do" weight off my shoulders.

Comment

I understand your anxieties. For me panic disorder is by far a lot worse than any pain or discomfort. I am terrified to be anxious. Medication can help with that. I take an anti-depressant (there is one for both anxiety disorders and IC called Elavil) but I take another type. Also I take a daily dose of an anti-anxiety drug called klonopin. It works great to help me think straight and reduces my anxiety so much.
          It is hard to accept that things change and our health will not always be what it used to be hugs!!
          -Pammylynn Rose
          Wishing everyone a pain free bladder day!

Painful symptoms start in May 2011
          Diagnosed with IC in Aug 2011

MEDICATIONS
          Elmiron
          Axert (only for rare migraines)
          Strict IC diet
          Gluten/dairy/egg free diet

Comment

I understand what you are feeling. But it's possible things can level out and the condition can get better for you.

The diet is hard for sure. But these days so many people are willingly trying to eat healthy anyway, and considering the health benefits, you can try to think of it as simply a new healthier lifestyle. I'm trying to think of it that way but of course it's an adjustment!

I've used Klonopin also. It helped me sleep deeply without peeing and also helped me cope with some occasional panic attacks.

Exercising has been helping me a lot and I am starting to feel healthier. I don't do anything too rigorous because of the IC, but I do try to break a sweat and get my heart rate up. I recommend exercise to anyone (if they are able to get out of the house and do even a little something) because it releases endorphins (relieves pain).

I hope you use this website to vent and find much support. It has been a blessing to me.

Hugs! and
            Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Toto, what excercises do you do?

It's been too hot for walks around here. Unless I went at night or pre-dawn but they there are coyotes to worry about (and I have 3 dogs so I wouldn't want them getting in to it).

I was thinking about giving the Wii Yoga a go now that I am feeling better.

Comment

Andrea,

For the last couple months I've been using the eliptical machine. It looks like you are sort of cross country skiing. I really was tired when I began because I had a terrible 3 month bout of migraines and IC symptoms. I never thought I'd get the energy to do anything again. And I was getting VERY depressed. So finally I broke down and joined a gym. Honestly, I DRAG myself to the gym on most days. Seriously, I tell myself it's mandatory for my health. I've noticed it gives me more energy, helps a tad with anxiety and also can ward off an impending migraine. I do 30 to 45 minutes on the machine between 4-6 times a week. I want to do more but that's all I can endure for now. I sometimes use a rowing machine because there is no up and down motion that's hard on the bladder. There are various classes too but I'm not up to doing them yet. I did try some yoga classes but got a bad flare for some reason during one and couldn't make it through the class. So I decided to wait awhile to do yoga again. It was enjoyable but hard to be honest! I heard it helps the body a lot.

Anyway...it's so boring to exercise huh? I read a Bible passage or other reading while on the machine and time flies by. Some people watch TV and listen to music. I used to walk outside briskly for 20 to 30 minutes but even that gets boring. It's good if you can walk with someone. I usually exercise alone because of the lack of someone to go with.

Oh, and there are some good exercise videos on Youtube, including basic yoga. Those are good to do also.

Is there a track nearby to walk the dogs? That would be fun, walking with three dogs.

I've tried Wii before. It is HARD! Wow... They have all sorts of games nowadays, such as boxing, boat racing, etc. Not a bad idea at all! And for IC it's a good choice because there is no jumping or jostling the bladder. I had no idea they had yoga!

Sorry for rambling on here.

Tpronti...I do hope you start to feel better and find the support you need.
                Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Have you thought about seeing a professional counselor? They can be a real help and lots of IC patients do this, especially when newly diagnosed.

My IC was diagnosed 36 years ago and I assure you that there is life with IC.

Warm healing thoughts,
                  Donna
                  Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                  Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                  Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                  X