I am so confused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so confused...

I am forty-nine, and still having periods, but I am beginning my research on HRT. It is scary, and confusing, in my opinion. Some experts seem to think the only way to go is HRT-both estrogen and progesterone, if you still have your uterus, which I do. Then, you can study other research that says only natural progesterone cream is needed. Can anyone here tell me their experiences with HRT? I was on birth control pills for a great part of my adult life, but not in recent years. While on them, my bladder was much worse with the progesterone in the pill. I really dread making a decision, probably very soon, on which way to go--HRT or natural progesterone. Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening.
    Kathy S.

Kathy: I'm 49 also, and recently menopausal.
    I started on HRT in the spring because of severe hot flashes. I take the lowest dose of Prempro which of course is estrogen opposed with progesterone. I have had to do a short stint with a higher does of progesterone because of the problems with breakthrough bleeding. Yes, the progesterone
    in the higher dose has caused some problems, but it's only short term, and the lower dose that I'll be going back to shortly has not affected my IC at all. My gyno believes that HRT can help keep the IC from getting worse because estrogen loss causes the urethra and the bladder wall muscles to weaken and atrophy. That's what sold me on taking it for the rest of my life, that and the tendency towards bone loss in my mothers family. I hear it can also possibly help prevent colon cancer, another problem in my family. I know all the information is confusing at best. Talk to your doctor about your family history and let him or her help you make a informed decision.

Good Luck
    GardenLady

Comment

kathy, I am 50 and my bladder symptoms came
      on me at age 47. My M.D. ordered natural
      progesterone cream and Estriol pills from
      a compounding pharmacy. So far, I have only
      used the Progesterone cream and it stopped
      my night hot sweats within a week. It also
      helped me have more energy! I have
      not taken the estriol yet because I still
      have concerns about it related to cancer
      because my mom had breast cancer. But I
      know that there are a few who are helped
      with the natural progesterone cream and
      the Estriol as far as the bladder is concerned. Bev

Comment

Hi Kathy:

I am 40 but had surgical menopause when I was 39.

Initially I did not take any HRT as I believed at the time that I may have had endo left inside of me. After 2 months of no HRT I had all the symptoms, night sweats, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, depressive moods. I couldn't cope with all the symptoms.

After 2 months, I began taking Vivelle 50, which is an estradiol patch. I change it twice a week and it has alleviated all the menopause symptoms. At that time I had not been diagnosed with IC, but I did not have pain symptoms worsen because of starting the HRT. I just had pelvic pain all the time then lol.

I wish you well in your research on HRT. You may find that you may have to try a few different ones before you find the right one that works for you.

Best regards

Marlene http://www.geocities.com/marsbar3005/endostory.html

Comment

Kathy;

I just put my 2 cents in on your other question under this topic. I am 53 and post menopausal. My IC has definately gotten worse since menopause. That is why I tried the progesterone. I have to wonder if a combination of a very low dose of progesterone and estriol would help me. So far I haven't explored that yet. I have been living with menopause for about 5 years now and the flashes seem to wax and wane. I still don't sleep well. The bladder pain gets me down. I have a multitude of health problems like everyone else. It is scary to read about all the complications with HRT. I usually do better with a natural approach, so thus far have opted not to take any hormones. My gyn. told me that most women are completely through menopause by age 65. Now that was very comforting :-) Have you ever read Dr. Christiane Northrup's books? Her ideas are very interesting. I'd thought of calling her up (she has a consultation thing you can set up). Probably not cheap. Good luck.

Comment

Marlene,
            I really enjoyed your website. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and have also lived for a short time in Victoria, B.C. But we have travelled to the Okanagan for years to visit my in-laws in Summerland. The pictures of B.C. are beautiful.
            Like you, I have had endometriosis, severe adhesions, etc. etc. but the main problem recently for years has been Interstitial Cystitis. This one has been a real b****r!!
            But as the saying goes, "This too shall soon pass." At least, hopefully!! I am presently on long-term antibiotic therapy for the IC after finding out I have a bacteria in my urine causing the bladder, etc. pain.
            Take care,
            Louise

Comment

Hi Louise:

Nice to meet you *smiles*.

Thank you for visiting my site I am so happy you enjoyed it. It's something I really love doing as a hobby *smiles*.

Sorry to hear you have experienced the endo, adhesions and have IC. It sure is a difficult life experience to go through. But at the same time, for me....it's finally nice to know what is causing all the abdominal pain.

I am happy to hear that your IC is getting to be more manageable with the antibiotics. I am doing much better health wise too then I ever thought I would...so I feel very blessed and happy to have the good days.

Warm and pain free wishes to you.

Marlene http://www.geocities/marsbar3005/endostory.html

Comment

Working...
              X