hysterectomy and IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hysterectomy and IC

I was wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy and what effects it had for the better or worse? I am told I need one and my uro and gyn tell me my flares will likely decease cause my flares are really bad at that time of the month.Of course the reason for the hysterectomy is not IC it is female problems.I would appreciate any input!

Lindy

Yes I have had a hysterectomy, in September of 2000. I am happy to report that my IC got better. Not having to take birth control pills helped, as they have always made whatever was wrong with me worse ten fold. The best part is that I don't have the flare ups once a month. As for the hormone replacement I think it does aggravate the IC some, but not as much as the b.c. pills did, probably because I don't take progesterone. I know that overall I am healthier and that is what made the surgery so worthwhile. I have a lot fewer things going wrong all the time so I feel better as a whole. I think you will likely find that is where the greatest beneift will be, and that is where you should focus. IC is a tricky disease and you can NEVER predict with any kind of certainty what will or will not happen.

I wish you the best, Lisa
    God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging......The LORD Almighty is with us the GOD of Jacob is our fortress." Psalm 46:1-3,7

May God bless our nation

Comment

I had a hysterectomy almost a year ago because of serious precancer in my uterine lining. I am happy to report that it did not aggravate my IC. In fact it helped. I no longer have to deal with the ovulation to period flares and sinc I have no uterus I only take estrogen which does not cause me to flare.

An added bonus for me was that we had long suspected that I also had adenomyosis which contributed to bladder pressure. Pathology confirmed that I did have adenomyosis as well as the precancerous uterus. I have less pelvic aching and pressure since my hysterectomy.

The one thing that helped me alot immediately post-op was to stay catheterized as long as possible. With all the IV fluids I would have been having to get up to pee constantly. Obviously if catheters cause you alot of pain this might not work for you but for me it is great. Even when I have had other more minor surgeries on an out-patient basis we keep the cath in until I am ready to go home. The one time I didn't do this I was totally miserable.

Will you be able to have the hysterectomy laparoscopically? It does make the recovery easier. Good luck to you. Ruth

Comment

hello to all. I'm glad to hear your all doing well, however my symptoms seem to be brought on from the hysterectomy i had 6 years ago, my bladder has fallen, now possible diagnosis of ics. the two realated, not sure, but likely. god bless you all.

Comment

My hystrectomy which was uneeded, but not known at the time, did not help my IC. In fact over the years mine has gotten worse. I still have the pain that I was having before doing the hystrectomy. Just my case.
          God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
          www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
          Interstim Sept 2001
          1st InterStim Removal May 2005
          2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
          2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
          Hysterectomy 1999
          Tubes Tied 1997
          C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

hysterectomy

I just had a hysterectomy in in November of last year and I feel a lot better now. I had precanserous cell growth happening in my uterus so I got everything removed. I had a lot of fibroids and my uterus was connected to my abdominal wall so it took them about 6 hours to do the surgery as oppossed to 2 hours. I was lucky that my wound healed well but I did get this super bug in the hospital that I am finally getting rid off. I wished I would of had this surgery years ago, I was already in menopause and had my children years before. I had a good surgeon and received very good care in hospital. I have meant a lot of women who feel better than they did before the surgery after they recovered from the operation.

Comment

my hyster was B4 knowing about IC

the way I got diagnosed was at 6 mos post-op and had blood in sample on a cruise, no infection so they did the test and started the Elmiron. I kept the ovareis and still have mini-cycles, so still have the PMS pain but also have enod. It all goes together I am starting to believe. But the pain management I learned B4 and post-op has helped me get through my flares of IC. It has never been as bad as the prolapsed uterus and endo stuff. Make sure you get a 2nd opinion B4 surgery and check out the Hystersister websiite ( where I learend of this site) Lots of ladies with lots of INfo and help just like here!
              IC 03, UC 06, partial hysto 02, endo 96, migraines since 95

hard to do the IC diet for co-existing conditions and allergies, plus the caffiene afficianado

Comment

hysterectomy and IC

I got a hysterctomy right after I was told I had IC....I had my tubes tied and for me at least didn't see a reason to have periods no more because every month I had a period I was just in so much pain I couldn't bend over and barely walk during that time of the month...So I went ahead and had the hysterctomy done and even though I have no periods no more I still have tons of pain..Maybe it helped because I don't have to deal with it in that way no more, but by no means did it get better at all...I wish everyone good luck cause I know how this condition can be so terrible...

Jennifer
                Interstitial Cystitis(Interstim Therapy)
                IBS
                Fibromyalgia
                Pseudotumor cerebri
                Type 2 Diabetes

Comment

Hello,
                  I had my hystorectomy 1 1/2 ago and was diagnosed with IC 7 weeks later. I was having terriable abdomonal pain and was told I had endomitriosis through a laporatomy. After trying treatments and scraping the endo. off my uterus and tubes pain was still there. My gyn said I probebly had IC but first to do hyst to see if that would help the pain. Six weeks later, pain was still there and thats when he did potasum res. test and others to diagnos me with IC( sorry my spelling is worse than my kids, did not get much sleep, Yah thats why ) Anyway, my IC is still pretty bad but at least my flares don't happen with my period anymore (that used to be unbarable!!) So my hysto did help me some. I hope yours helps you!! Take care!
                  God Bless, Cassandra
                  dx Fibromyalgia April 2000
                  dx Endo. Dec. 2003 had hystorectomy Feb. 2004
                  dx IC May 2004
                  dx Acid Reflex Nov. 2009
                  dx Restless Leg Syndrom July 2010
                  dx Degenerative Arthritis in my spine Oct. 2011
                  lost my mind: A long time ago!! LOL

Isaiah 41:31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Meds: Elmiron 100mg once daily, Gabapentin 3200mg daily for nerve pain, Trazadone 50mg, Morphine ER 30mgs 2 times a day for chronic pain , Norco 10/325mg 2 times a day for breakthrough pain, Simvastatin 20mg for high cholesterol, Omeprazole 40mg once a day for Acid reflux, Oxybutynin 5mg twice daily for bladder frequency and spasms, Pyridium as needed, and Zyrtec once daily for allergies
                  Also a big hug and kiss from my husband Joe and my 4 kids-Jo-Jo, Jenae, Victoria, and Janelle everyday as needed, ( I take this "med" often )!!!!

Comment

I just had mine May 17 2005 the hy was no problem at all. all my pain has been bladder issues sinces my uro said it would be three to four mths before the pain gets better in the mean time i've already had to have an IV anti. due to a uti because the gyn didn't give me an anti. like i ask him too (I get true uti easy) before my hy. i would get a uti a week before and the week of my peroid. now that that is over with. I'm still getting the uti.
                    the reason for the hy. i was boarder line cancer.
                    after my hy. i've also found out that i have a blockage in my left (which is my double kidney)
                    I do believe after i get this blockage out of my kidney i should be on a better track to going back into remission but right now i been living in heck since May 17.

another thing with IC our bladders hate foleys i had a fit and made them take it out the faster that sucker is out the faster you will be feeling a bit better.
                    sending you hugs best wishes and prayers
                    Rhonda
                    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Just had mine done March 23 my GYN wanted me to know it could get worse or better. I also had other period problems so far its been great for me. Recovery time was long thought I would never get here. You should research and talk to your gyn.
                      Kelly
                      To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
                      I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hysterectomy and bi-ovarian removal 12/2004. Had horrendous what I think now IC flares every month with my period -- wasn't diagnosed with IC until 8 wks post hysterectomy. I now suffer even worse IC pain than before hysterectomy. The four weeks post-hysterectomy were the worst, I wanted to die and no one seemed to be able to help me.
                        I encourage you to explore other options before just having a hysterectomy due to IC pain. For some (like me) it makes it worse. There may be other treatments plans to help you - explore and educate yourself before jumping into a surgery that you cannot ever reverse.
                        Blessings to you,
                        Christina
                        Christina J. Werdebaugh, Director & Support Group Leader
                        [B]West Virginia IC Support Center
                        Phone: 304-692-9199
                        [B]Email: [email protected]

"When life knocks you to your knees--well, that's the best position in which to pray, isn't it?" Ethel Barrymore (1879-1959)

Comment

Had my hysterectomy 6 years ago and I think it has helped some. Like most say the no period thing was the best. I couldn't take birth control because all most all would cause major migraines and bled through the depo so each month for those 5 days would be in bed due to severe pain that would come from the period causing UTI. I do take HRT because of HORRIBLE hot flashes, haven't noticed a difference with IC if I do or don't take them. As for the daily symptoms of the IC-I don't think it has changed it much-except the endo went away so I don't have to have a laparoscopy every 11 months to get rid of it and that in itself is awesome. Did that for about 6 years..If you have had children and are not planning on having more I would say go for it. Good luck!!
                          Rhea

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Comment

Working...
                          X