Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on taking bc pills for IC

HI there
    I am a lurker here on these boards, but have had IC for about 3 years now, no success in any cures yet (have tried all the drugs, done the hydros, etc). I am now considering getting onto the Pill to see if that will help my IC symptoms. I find that my flareups are generally related to my menstrual cycle. I figure if I can get rid of ovulation (usually get a BAD flareup for a few days each month at that time) & then lighten my periods/cramping will perhaps lessen my IC flareups!!
    I am sure I am not the only one on here who has considered this...has anyone actually TRIED it & if so, what kind of side effects/success have you seen? Also what kind of BC pill did you use? My OB has me taking YAZ (will start my first pill tonite)...WOULD love feedback ASAP to help in my decision if I swallow it or not tonite, lol.
    THanks much
    Karen
    Currently Taking:
    20 mg Celexa
    fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
    morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
    Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
    900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
    300 MG Welbutrin
    Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
    blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

Been there

I too could track my flares by the period, for the last 10 years. I started with Loestrin, and then switched to Yasmin (is Yaz the new hip name?) because as a diuretic, I did not gain weight on it. This successfully limited flares to my "off" week, and then, 5 years ago, when I started Detrol in addition, resulted in no flares - that is right, no falres at all. Tried going off the Yasmin 3 years ago, and the unpredictable flares re-occurred. I do recommend this option, but as you get older, you have to consider family history and whether taking extra estrogen will lead to bigger problems than IC flares. I don't have any history of strokes, breast cancer, etc in my family so am fairly safe. As noted in another post, turning 50 this year, and it appears the Yasmin is no longer enough to control the flares. Will be seeing my urologist and gynecologist on Monday to talk hormone levels and the changes needed to balance IC back. Try it, you may like it,
    terry

Comment

Yaz is another version of Yasmine, it is a 24 day pill instead of 28, supposed to shorten periods better than the original Yasmine. It is strange usually when I get my period I can be assured I will just have to deal w/ period pains, but this time around I am flaring right along with the period. That is what I hate about IC...it changes its face every day with different symptoms, etc. I am still a big believer that alot of this is cycle centered, so I will be trying it. Thanks for the reply.
      Karen
      Currently Taking:
      20 mg Celexa
      fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
      morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
      Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
      900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
      300 MG Welbutrin
      Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
      Prevacid 30 mg
      Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
      blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

Comment

Options

As a general rule of thumb any BC pill with higher estradiol ratio to progestin seems to work best for IC. If you have a uterus you might also look into the progestin medicated IUD called Mirena which does not put the progestin into the system but only into the uterus. It will stop your periods over a period of time, is a BC method and is reversible if you want to get PG.
        I used it for fibroid bleeding as menopausal hormone therapy, then just took estrogen. It worked, bleeding quit and fibroids shrunk a little.
        Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
        Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

Skipping sugar pills and period???

has anyone goine continually on birth control pills, skipping the sugar pilsl and therefore not having a period??? if you have doneso, did you ever get some spotting and cramping??? i skipped the sugar pills and went straight into a new pack, and now i have awful headaches and cramps today and am exhausted. perhaps this was not a good idea but i get flares with my period and didnt want to deal with it.... anyoen else had this???

Jessica
          diagnosed with IC in 10/2006

Current meds:
          Elmiron, 100 mg twice a day
          Kyolic Garlic, 2-4 pills per day
          Zoloft, 25mg per day
          Aviane BC
          Multivitamin and Glucosamine (as needed)

I will not allow IC to control me or my life!

Comment

BC Problems

I am on the seasonique BC pills. I am supposed to get a period only 4 times a year. But with continous birth control there is a lot of spotting which actually for me leads to flaring. I feel if I could just get a handle on the menstrual cycle I would be able to get my IC under control completely.
            So in answer to the question with continuous you breakthrough bleed a lot more than you would on a normal pill and if you skipped the sugar pills and went to the next pack I believe your body was ready to have a period and will continue the side effects even though you are still taking pills.
            Kat

Physical therapy/Breathing exercises
            I consider myself pretty much in remission.
            With only occasional flares brought on by menstrual problems

Cur
            rent Meds:
            Atarax
            Flexiril or Valium when needed
            Elmi
            ron
            Urispas
            Vitamin E
            Zyrtec
            Cysta Q
            Estriol in olive oil caps for VV
            Flexiril in Olive oil caps for VV

Diagnosed April '06 with IC
            Diagnosed November '07 with PFD and Vulvodynia

Comment

Jessica - I tried to use the Ortho Evra patch every week and not stop for a week. Got breakthrough bleeding, which causes worse symptomology for me. Guess my body just wants to have a period.
              Stephanie

Comment

I use BC pills to help control the heavy bleeding and pain with my period. I noticed that when they work it helps with IC. For me the pills stopped working about a year ago and my periods are all over the place (due to a nonrelated IC condition) but when I was on Seasonale (one period every 3 months) it worked like a charm at keeping my period away and my falres at bay (rhym not intended).

Medical "Issues":
                IC
                GERD
                Tachycardia(resting rate is 125-130 )
                Medicastions:
                Tramadol-as needed (IC)-50mg
                Elmiron 200mg twice a day
                Levsin .125mg 1-2 pills 4 times a day

Comment

Working...
                X