Switching from Prempro to natural HRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Prempro to natural HRT

***In April when I see my DR. I plan to ask her about changing my HRT from prempro to estrace oral and prometrium. I am a bit nervous about this because I have no menopausal symptoms and no bleeding on the prempro. I want to change to see if the more natural hrt will stop my vulvodynia pain. I figure it can't hurt to try it--something has to give here because I can't go on this way. The prempro may seem like I should leave well enough alone...but am I well enough??? Prempro has so much junk in it--who knows what will happen in the long run. I am only 50--so I will need hrt longer than the "safe " year max they suggest.
    ***My question is---can I go right into the new method without weaning off of prempro? Does anyone know? I went from the bcp right into prempro with no break--and it was very smooth-EXCEPT for the vulvodynia which has gotten worse since prempro. I'm not sure if it's connected--Dr says no. But she is not an expert. Sammi-you prob have a good idea on this. I'd like to hear it! Anyone out there--what do you think?
    Debe2
    Premature ovarian faliure 1996-age 39
    Put on ortho novum 7/7/7 and premarin cream
    Began HRT Feb 2006
    Current meds:
    Estrace oral: 0.5 twice a day
    Prometrium 100mg bedtime
    premarin cream for vulva
    vagifem
    Aciphex 20mg
    diflucan monthly-stopped this July 2007-fingers crossed!!
    gabapentin 900mg-so far

***I meant to say the " safe " 4 year max they suggest. After 4 years on hrt thay say that is when cancer and stuff starts to show up.
    Began HRT Feb 2006
    Current meds:
    Prometrium 100mg bedtime
    premarin cream for vulva
    vagifem
    Aciphex 20mg
    gabapentin 900mg-so far

Comment

Debe

Usually you go from one type of HRT to another. It is better to take any hormone seperately. When you get a combo you cant titrate dose or tell which is giving you symptoms.
      The Estradiol is much better for you, the Prometrium a natural oral progeterone can be used by some, and not tolerated by others. You just have to try it. If you cant use the Prometrium, then ask for a progestin from the testosterone family, which is better tolerated.
      As for the vulvar problems, I can tell you from personal experience that when I got a higher systemic estradiol level it totally went away. Every, single day I had red sore vulva. I couldnt wear jeans, tight pants,sitting even made the area red. When I decided to have the Hyster, I took double the amount of E, I was taking and lo and behold, the VV went away? I was totally shocked, pleased, but shocked! I dont know if this is something just with my particular system, or if it would work for others?
      A lot of VV sufferers have other issues and cant take a higher E load. I couldnt due to fibroids, but now, since I dont have the uterus, I can. I probably could have with the progestin IUD MIrena, but didnt think of it?
      Good luck. All hormone changes require a little tinking, so be patient.
      Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
      Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

***Thanks sami. If I can take the MPA in prempro I figure I can certainly handle prometrium--it's not as strong. I will prob take the estrace twice a day rather than once a day. Hopefully I will have no menopausal symptoms-and hopefully I won't suddenly bleed. My estridiol level was 100 when last checked--that was two months on prempro. That's pretty good--so thats why I'm not sure the HRT change will help my VV--but I can hope!
        Debe2
        Began HRT Feb 2006
        Current meds:
        Prometrium 100mg bedtime
        premarin cream for vulva
        vagifem
        Aciphex 20mg
        gabapentin 900mg-so far

Comment

Working...
        X