Hysterectomy Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hysterectomy Update

On March 13th I had a laproscopic total hysterectomy because I wanted to take a higher estrogen dose than most Gyno's thought prudent with my enlarged, fibroid uterus. Even though the Mirena IUD did a splendid job of keeping the uterine lining in check and stopped bleeding, I still had to have a biopsy and ultrasound every four months. This just got old quick. I also suspected my ovaries of being very erratic and this was irritating my pelvic symptoms.
    I am happy to say at 6 weeks that my bladder feels just fine. After the procedure after they removed the catheter, my bladder had a hissy fit for about three weeks with a lot of frequency. That has calmed down now, and I even sat through a 2 1/2 hour movie and didnt have go pee, even though I drank 4 OZ of liquid a half hour before the movie.
    They also put me on Ambien for sleep which I am doing well on.
    If anything, I would say my pelvic pressure, pain, and frequency have all calmed down. I for one, can say the hyster was a good decision for me.
    I am currently using hormone pellets and have a good dose of estrogen which keeps any vulvar symptoms non existant.
    Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
    Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Glad to hear you are doing well after the surgery Sammi. What kind of hormone pellets are you using and at what dosage?
    hugs,
    Janie

Comment

Glad it is better. I use a vaginal ring for hrt and I love it. I am able to use a lower dose than I do with anything else I tried...patches, pills, or creams.
      TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
      My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
      Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
      I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
      Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
      Louann

Comment

Pellets

Pellets are inserted under the skin by a physician. The "dose" of pellets is determined by trial and error. They start with the lowest pellet, take blood tests every month for four months to see how you metabolize. If that isnt a high enough blood serum, the next time they use next dose up. Just what that is I dont know? I do know that I keep my serum level around 200-250 which is probably much higher than the average menopausal woman.
        Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.

Comment

So glad your hysterectomy is behind you and was successful! It is so good to hear that you are feeling so much better!

I had a total hysterectomy in Oct of 2005. I didnt want to do it since I was 33, but I had severe endo, and well, it just had to be done! But, it was a good thing for me too. My IC and overall pelvic pain were always at there worst for me right before my period. With my having endo, adhesions, fibro, IC, and IBS, there were just too many things hurting down there to ever pinpoint the exact location of my pain. At least now, things are more clearly defined, and it is easier to tell where my pain is originating from, (and it is much easier to treat the pain, when you know what's causing it!)

I have also had good luck with HRT. I take Estrogel, 2 pumps of the gel a day. I also take Premarin, vaginal cream. The combo has worked well for me.

I am so glad that you are another Hysterectomy success story! I hope you continue to feel better and better! (In fact, I am pretty sure you will, since you are technically still healing from yours! So, you really will feel even better in a few more months! )

Congrats on a successful outcome!

Hugs,
          Amy

Comment

Thanks Sami for the info on pellets. I didn't realize you could have hormone treatment that way.
            hugs,
            Janie

Comment

Hormone Pellets

Hormone pellets are supposed to last for 3-4 months, but guess what?
              At 7 weeks I started to have severe vulvar symptoms again and it came on suddenly within a week. I called the Doc and said I thought I needed a RX for vagifem or else I had yeast (symptoms very similar). She didnt think it could possibly be low vaginal estrogen because my blood level, although dropped was around 70. 70! That is too low for me. I insisted on coming in for a pelvic and at first glance she said,"You have vaginal atrophy." Translation-low estrogen in vagina and vulva.
              So, thats just how quick you can become estrogen deprived in the vagina even with a serum level in a range considered "normal" for most menopausal women on HRT. I KNOW I need a serum level at 100-200 or I have vaginal and vulvar problems, now hopefully so does the Doc.
              Sammi

Sammi

Comment

Working...
              X