No announcement yet.

Pithy comments from Google re: atrophy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pithy comments from Google re: atrophy.

This is in relation to vaginal and urogenital atrophy - a condition that can happen after menopause. I found these comments on Google groups and thought I would post them here for those of us who are post-menopausal - they may resonate with you - especially the "pinching" and "scraping" and "pressure" sensations in and around the vagina and urethra. This is why we need to take estrogen topically or vaginally for a period of time. I think this, in addition to a PFD problem and persistent constipation can cause a whole bunch of misery until properly addressed.

"I always heard about "vaginal dryness" and of course the emphasis was
    always on "during intercourse", so of course when I experienced it, I
    didn't know what it was and neither did my (duh!) Dr., who did all sorts
    of stupid tests and put me on horrible antibiotics for nothing. I have
    found that vaginal atrophy can cause severe discomfort anytime. It can be
    a burning, pinching, scraping, pressure kind of feeling that you have
    trouble localising. You might find yourself saying you can't tell if it's
    near your cervix or vaginal opening or bladder or urethra. And it can
    start a year before you have your last period so you have no suspicion
    that you're approaching menopause."

thanks for posting this. I think a few of us have or are going thru this.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Yes, people are always posting about urethral or "somewhere down there" pains and this might be the answer.

Comment

HI! It's not just post menopausal women who have vaginal atrophy...I'm in the middle of menopause and have had it for over a year now. You are correct....it's miserable to have it and I didn't know what it was at first either. I even went to my GYN and she thought it was just dryness...didn't say it was atrophy. Finally I went to an Infectious Disease dr. and he finally told me it was Vaginal Atrophy! I wear the Climara patch .75 and that's done wonders for me. Good luck to you! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
        Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
        Dx'd Hypothyroid
        Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
        June 2007
        Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
        First Cysto 1979
        First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
        Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
        Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
        Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
        Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
        Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
        Bladder surgery 2000
        Dx'd: IBS 2000
        Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
        Laminectomy 1989
        Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
        I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Vaginal Atrophy

As most of you know, I just had a hyster because I had fibroids that made everyone panic at the thought of RX an amount of estrogen I felt I needed for body health and well being.
          At 4 weeks post op, I started to develop a case of VV. I had hormone pellets put in before the surgery, but the shock of the surgery caused my body to soak up estrogen like panic city. I had a blood level of around 70, which is too low for me. I told the Doc I was having VV symptoms and she more or less insinuated I was wrong because lots of women have a E level of 70 (yah, the dried up ones and the dead ones). This really ticked me off and I made an appointment for a pelvic anyway. When she came in and took a look the diagnosis was : Vaginal Atrophy due to lack of estrogen. Duh! She inserted another pellet and got the picture that I need another pellet before the level sinks that low. When I have enough E, I have no VV symptoms at all.
          I am also using vaginal E, as the cells are in desperate need of estrogen in the vagina as well as the labia. I saw in a study that regardless of the serum level about 60% of post menapausal women will need vaginal E along with the systemic estrogen for proper vaginal health.
          Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
          Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

HI I hope you are doing better now with the additional estrogen. Some dr.s just don't get it when you show them the evidence! It's like you need to slap them over the head with it first! Take care.......Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
            June 2007
            First Cysto 1979
            Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
            Bladder surgery 2000
            Laminectomy 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
            I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

$100.00 slap

Yeah Roxie, and that slap costs about $100.00 a visit. Yes, doing better, but it takes about 6 weeks of vaginal treatment before your cells really start to show any changes. I am taking Vagifem daily for two weeks, followed by twice a week. Also using the cream around the vulva area.
              When I get atrophy my main symptoms are very similar to yeast infections, irritated vulva, along with urinary frequency, burning, stinging. I suppose women experience the symptoms a little different.
              Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.

Comment

My estrodial level has finally hit 100 after almost 2 months on the patch. This is up from the less than 10 my blood work showed back march. I wonder if this IC flare (started in FEB after 12 YEARS of remission) was really and truly just a result of the low estrogen. The hormone piece is so important but it is so rarely talked about. I never heard of low hormones causing all this pain. Live and learn. We have to share our stories and save others from learning the hard way. Sami- how is the swelly belly??

Caroline (aka runningshoe)

Comment

Carolyn

Yes your low estradiol level and estrogen starved tissues could very well be the "cause" of your VV upset. The symptoms of vaginal atrophy are: dryness, itching around the opening, redness in vulva area, stinging after peeing, frequency, low vaginal PH, urethral irritation and spasms. Atrophy can easily be mistaken for a yeast infection as the symptoms can be similar.
                  When the tissues are that estrogen deprived, when estrogen is used around the vulva it can burn for a few applications until the nerve endings get saturated.
                  If you can get a 100 serum estrogen level on the patch, that is really good! I could only get around 60, but I also tested on the last day of the patch because I wanted to see just how far the level fell?
                  I read a study yesterday on serum levels on patch and how stable they are; summary was that either pellets or patch have a pretty wide fluctuation during the course of a week or month in the pellets case. I am starting to think the only way to get a more stable level is to smear yourself up with cream three times a day?
                  Serum levels of estrogen have no relation to vaginal estrogen, thats why you need vaginal along with oral or a patch.
                  Sammi

Sammi

Comment

What is VV? OK, I'm a 37 year old idiot! I've had a hysterectomy, several years ago, I just don't know what VV stands for.

Comment

Anyone ever take Estrace vaginal cream? What was your experience with it and how long did it take to work? Did you have any side effects like tenderness or bleeding?

Comment

Hi! I used Estrace for a while. I found it VERY messy stuff. I had to wear a lightdays pad while using it. I never had bleeding or tenderness. I now use the Estroidial patch and prefer it. Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
                        June 2007
                        First Cysto 1979
                        Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                        Bladder surgery 2000
                        Laminectomy 1989

Comment

Vagifem vs Estrace vaginal cream

As Roxie mentioned, a lot of women hate the mess of Estrace vaginal cream and prefer Vagifem, which is a tablet.
                          However, I have found that when I get a diagnosis of vaginal atrophy, the quickest way to relief is with 2 mg vaginal Estrace for two weeks. Vagifem is .25 only micrograms which is OK for me at a maintenance dose, but takes too long for me when I am having a problem. I also have to wear a minipad during the Estrace treatment however, I like the soothing quality of the dripping cream on the sore vulva which goes along with vaginal atrophy. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but it sure works for me.
                          Sammi
                          Last edited by sami4; 05-16-2007, 03:57 PM. Reason: mixed up mg and micrograms

Sammi

Comment

Working...
                          X