Hormones and Flares???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hormones and Flares???

I have read many people say they have flares when getting close to their period and during. Does anyone have the opposite? Mine get better a few days before and during my period. So I was thinking since I am perimenopause that taking hormones might clear it up. Any thoughts or ideas please.

I know mine have gotten worse, but I am now wondering if hormones aren't playing a big role in my ic diagnosis. All the doctors I have visited since April have not addressed it. I was just diagnosed one month ago. I've noticed for the past year that I have been having pre-menstral symptoms 2 weeks prior, which seems really strange to me. I almost want to tear my boobs off the pain gets so bad.

Comment

Kasmira, I just remembered something after reading your post. I've been telling my gyno for years that something is happening when I have my menses, and now that I've been diagnosed with IC I think this has been the problem all along. So I too think hormones makes my ic worse.
      IC diagnosis 3 weeks ago.
      Vesicare 10 mg once daily
      IBS and Gerd-Zegerid
      IC diet
      Elmiron 100 mg three daily
      Hydroxyzine 25 mg at night
      Amitriptyline 10mg at night
      Diovan 60/12.5 daily
      Topral 50 mg daily
      Zoloft 100 mg at night
      Klonopin .5 twice daily

Comment

I am one of those that gets better on thier period and the week AFTER. The week before is not so great though So hormone play a huge role for me. I found that when I was on thr pill, the first week of pills in the pack would make me flare BAD and then as the dosage changed teh symptoms would stabalize somewhat. I went off the pill to see if it would make a difference and it did for sure. Now instead of flaring at the beginning of the month I am almost symptom free ON my period and after as long as im not stressed out! Or as long as I didnt eat something lol.
        28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Hormone and cycle

The week before your period and PMS symptoms are caused by the drop in estrogen and the rise in progesterone. Progesterone is usally a huge bladder irritant for a lot of IC symptoms. After bleeding estrogen rises again to shut off the flow and continues to rise until about a week before your next flow. Bladder, pain, vulvar symptoms may rise and fall along with this fluctuation.

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
          Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

Link between IC and Hormones

I actually noticed my IC flaring dramatically when I started taking OC's again after almost 7 months off of them. It was horrible! Then I stopped the pill, and my symptoms decreased within a couple of days.

When I asked my gynecologist AND my urologist, they both said that they had never heard of a relationship between hormones and IC (or endometriosis). I was shocked! There is a TON of information out there on the possible link between these problems.

I switched to another OC for now, until I can decide if I want to stop taking the pill entirely and pursue surgical methods (almost wish the gyn had taken out some more parts during my myomectomy in February. *sigh*), but my bladder pain is still higher than it has ever been.

So to answer the question, I definitely noticed a correlation between my hormones and my IC symptoms, even if some doctors are clueless about it.

Comment

Working...
            X