the Pill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Pill?

What is your experience with birth control pills? Do they cause flares, help reduce flares?

I've heard that they can make periods lighter, reduce the risk of ovarian cancer and inflammatory pelvic disease...but I wanted some first hand information from fellow icers.

Thanks!
    Elinor

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    That I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.
    Wait on the Lord;
    Be of good courage,
    And He shall strengthen your heart;
    Wait, I say, on the Lord!
    ***Psalm 27:13-14***

http://facinglif.blogspot.com/

Hey My experience with the pill unfortunatley is not a good one. I realized that every time I would start a new pack of pills I would flare really bad, for about a week and then it would calm down to the point of being tolerable... but it never failed every month my hormones went nuts and so did my bladder. I wish I could still be on the pill .. I was on it for 10 years! I went off about 3 months go and realized that my blader felt SO good.. so this was part of MY healing process I suppose. After my body was allowed to regulate is own hormones I started to get better and better...

Each person is different though, some it helps alot! Other they find it contribute to making the IC worse. Its all trial and error...

Jenn
    28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Helped

I have been on the Pill since December 2010. My flares are significantly better! Be warned, it was not an overnight miracle. Over time, I began to feel better!

Comment

It's been kind of a trade-off for me. I didn't get cramps while on the pill, but my bladder would flare horribly, and I got pain too in my bladder (which isn't usual for me). Off the pill, my bladder doesn't hurt, and my pre-period flares aren't as bad, but I do have one day of bad cramps.

For some women, the pill can also cause/contribute to vulvar symptoms. I have no idea if it had a role in mine, but I had been on the pill for about 10 years before stopping it this past spring. Since then I've also had less vulvar burning and irritation.
        ----------------------
        -Amanda
        34 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
        diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010

Current meds:
        Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Gabapentin 600 mg, Myrbetriq 25mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Mircrogestin, capsaicin cream (for vulva)
        Other past treatments:
        IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
        Tried and didn't work:
        Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture

Comment

Working...
        X