Yoga Poses for PFD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga Poses for PFD?

Could anyone tell me if Yoga poses help your PFD and IC? I do a couple of stretching poses in my normal routine, but don't know if they are the right ones.

I'd love to get started on them right away, so please let me know the names of the poses you do.

Also, I see there are some books and DVD's (on this website) that specifically address Yoga for IC/PFD. My budget only allows for one and I want to choose correctly. Any recommendations on any of them that helped you?

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
    8/2007 - My constant bladder pain is now gone due to a surgery where the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastic nerves were cut. I still have IC symptoms but they are improving. It's still early to say, but I believe this solution will work permanently for me.

Symptoms since 2005 - 24/7 abdominal pain, cold sweats, low back pain, vulv, etc.
    Surgeries: Spinal Fusion L4-L5-S1 10/97, Anterior spinal fusion L5-S1 9/05, Lap for Cysts, Endo 9/06, Hysterectomy kept cervix 12/06
    Meds: Morphine, Neurontin, Valium, Hydroxyzine, Vivelle Estrogen, Thyroid,
    Exercise & PT: All at least 4 times a week
    Whirlpool baths, Moist heat, Treadmill, Stretching, Trigger point, Yoga Positions; Ab & Pelvic Massage

I think there is a yoga book/dvd in the ICN shop specially for IC patients.

I got the book - think it was called cystitis - a time to heal with yoga.

the cover talks about cystitis, but inside it is about IC and the bladder meridians. I found it hard to use as a beginner but am sure a dvd would be better
    IC diagnosis: Aug 2005
    Symptoms: Urgency, urge and irritation and urethral symptoms
    Flareup for 1 year til July 2007 (had constant urge and pain et al....)

Elmiron 100mg 3x daily April 2006 - present
    Enablex 7.5mg nightly Sep 2007 -present
    Atarax, Elavil 10mg nightly (Dec 2007)
    Acupuncture - November 2007 - present

(Past meds for IC- Cystistat, Elavil 30mg, Ditropan, long term a/bs, Prednisolone, Cimetidine, Neurontin)

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinTexas View Post
      Could anyone tell me if Yoga poses help your PFD and IC? I do a couple of stretching poses in my normal routine, but don't know if they are the right ones.

I'd love to get started on them right away, so please let me know the names of the poses you do.

Also, I see there are some books and DVD's (on this website) that specifically address Yoga for IC/PFD. My budget only allows for one and I want to choose correctly. Any recommendations on any of them that helped you?

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
      Hi Caroline.

I think I have more of Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome than IC but they're obviously similar. Like you I'm on a limited budget and can't even afford yoga lessons until I get my new job but that may not be for another year or so. Have you found any yoga that helps you? I baraly know anything about yoga but I know PT is helpful for CPPS so I was hoping to try some things on my own. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

These are the yoga poses that I do from a book I have and they are all IC safe. You can do a search I am sure and find directions on each pose.
        Corpse Pose (sounds terrible)
        Goddess Pose
        Knee Down Twist
        Wall V stretch
        Pigeon
        Hamstring Wall pose
        Mermaid Stretch
        Ankle to knee
        Pretzel Pose
        Z stretch
        Child's pose
        Prayer squat

The prayer squat is so great, it helps my pelvic floor relax without my even trying! I do it as often as I can. My book also has some pilates in it but I tried it once and couldn't move for a few days, didn't work for me.

These poses really do work well. Be sure you read about breathing techniques. I also have a relaxation cd that I bought from my physical therapist and it helps a lot too. One more thing on the yoga, from what I have read, the yoga that we need to do is Hatha yoga. Hatha is a lot of breathing and slow stretches. My ymca has some beginner yoga classes but I think it is too hard for me to do. They have another one that I might try. If you live near a YMCA they great places to look for classes and they will give you a discount on membership if you need that. I am lucky, we have a fantastic Y by my house.

Sandra
        Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
        http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
        Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
        http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by sailawaygrl View Post
          These are the yoga poses that I do from a book I have and they are all IC safe. You can do a search I am sure and find directions on each pose.
          Corpse Pose (sounds terrible)
          Goddess Pose
          Knee Down Twist
          Wall V stretch
          Pigeon
          Hamstring Wall pose
          Mermaid Stretch
          Ankle to knee
          Pretzel Pose
          Z stretch
          Child's pose
          Prayer squat

The prayer squat is so great, it helps my pelvic floor relax without my even trying! I do it as often as I can. My book also has some pilates in it but I tried it once and couldn't move for a few days, didn't work for me.

These poses really do work well. Be sure you read about breathing techniques. I also have a relaxation cd that I bought from my physical therapist and it helps a lot too. One more thing on the yoga, from what I have read, the yoga that we need to do is Hatha yoga. Hatha is a lot of breathing and slow stretches. My ymca has some beginner yoga classes but I think it is too hard for me to do. They have another one that I might try. If you live near a YMCA they great places to look for classes and they will give you a discount on membership if you need that. I am lucky, we have a fantastic Y by my house.

Sandra
          Hey thanks that sounds great. Like I said I've been rediagnosed with Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome but so many of the symptoms are the same as IC and I definitely have muscular issues so I'll give these poses a try. Anything I guess. What symptoms does the yoga help you with the most. I've had so many symptoms come and go that I don't even know anymore which ones I want to go away the most. But I guess at this point I'm hoping to relieve the frequency of urination and the muscular soreness I have below my waist.

Thanks again.

Brendan

Comment

Working...
          X