recommended exercises for IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommended exercises for IC

New to IC and love to work out. Was wondering what was recommended for IC patients? I love to taebo but not sure if this would be good for my IC. So would appreciate any advice anyone could give.

walking is great. I heard yoga or pilates are good also.
    Formerly lorenab

Comment

What's most important is what your own body tells you.

Most exercise articles for IC patients focus on the limitations. And I don't think they address the issues of new patients or young patients very well, since they are general & include older patients or patients that have been sick or inactive a long time.

That said, the exercises that work well for me & a lot of IC patients are:
      Walking
      Yoga
      Elliptical Trainer
      Rowing machine
      Light weights
      Physical therapy exercises

Enjoy!
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I agree with Kadi...it's usually a case by case basis as to what you can tolerate. Generally things that "jar" your bladder (like running) aren't good. Stretching and relaxing exercise is good. My faves are yoga and pilates, swimming, walking and elliptical.
        Just do some trials and you'll find what you enjoy that also doesn't give your bladder a hard time.

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
        ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
        back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Before IC I was very active in many sports ... skiing, tennis, golf, running, weights, sailing, many, many sports. I think we are all at different phases with our IC and can probably do different things. I have a home gym and find that the following all work for me:

Stretching.
          Elliptical.
          Walking on a Treadmill.
          Stationary Bike, Actually a real bike on a Trainer (nothing intense here, but it is low impact and good cardio).
          Weights.
          Pelvic / ABS exercises.

It has taken years to be able to do all of the above. I started out with a stretching program that I picked up from a physical therapist and slowly added items over time. When I am working out, I will take as many bathroom breaks as are required. Each day can be different. Some days there are more breaks and some days fewer. But, after a while it really doesn't matter because you get used to working out with IC. I think exercise really helps me manage my IC.

I look forward to one day getting back into some of my sports again. I would like to go kayaking. Cross country skiing is something I really miss. Tennis is a sport that I was very good at and miss also. One day I will do all of these things again on a regular basis.

Your best place to start is with a stretching program put together by a physical therapist that will release the tensions in your pelvic muscles and allow them to relax.

Good luck.
          Bill

Comment

I have always been very active but just recently started training with a personal trainer at my gym (would like to look great in my wedding dress in August). I usually do fine with most exercises but have found myself in serious pain after any doing any heavy lifting with my legs, things were I have to strain. I assume that I am really straining those pelvic floor muscles. Got to watch that I guess,
            Erin

Comment

Thank you all for your advice I will start back with walking. I will get some pilates and yogo tapes and try them I have never tried those types of workouts. But I will try anything to stay fit. Bamafan

Comment

Originally posted by bamafan
                Thank you all for your advice I will start back with walking. I will get some pilates and yogo tapes and try them I have never tried those types of workouts. But I will try anything to stay fit. Bamafan
                Walking is good and can get you in surprisingly good shape. I use a heart rate monitor to keep my heart rate in an aerobic zone. You can easily increase heart rate, and thus exercise intensity, by using hand weights. You might start out with light weights, one or two pounds in each hand. Two, three, or five (probably a little heavy) after you are conditioned. This will also tone your arms and shoulders.
                Bill

Comment

Thank you for your advice i plan to start walking this week and will try some weights but all I have are 3 pounds but will get some smaller ones. I plan on walking with my Chocolate lab(Hershey) he will probably be all the weight I need. Thanks again. Bamafan

Comment

swimming is great exercise. But the chlorine really gets to me.
                    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will try swimming but will have to wait until summer no indoor pools around where I live.

Comment

would you use any pilates or yoga tapes? Or do I need the tapes for IC patients? Bamafan

Comment

Something I would recommend is getting one of those big exercise balls that you sit on. I've been in PT for back issues for a couple of weeks now, and my therapist talked me into getting one. Even when you're not working out you can sit on it while watching tv or whatever, and you'll be working out your pelvic area. While tightening the lower abs might bother some IC patients, I find doing crunches or other exercises for that muscle group to be really helpful in minimizing my pain.

Comment

Thanks for advice

Thank you for all your advice on excerising. I am still not back up to working out and I hope that soon I will be back. I stay really tired and just don't have energy after working at school all day. Thanks I hope to be back with workouts before long. Bamafan

Comment

Working...
                            X