Treadmill causing flares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treadmill causing flares?

I am an exercize - phobic person. I despise most forms of exercise and have only consistently stuck with using my treadmill. After a couple of years of severe illness, (not only IC), I am ready to try to get started again; however, the treadmill is painful, feels as if I am jogging and bruising my bladder. My perpetual never ending flare is worsening from it; anyone have any suggestions?

I can't use a treadmill, does the same thing to me. I use an elliptical trainer without problems or a rowing machine.

Simple as this is, make sure your shoes have plenty of support & padding. I found that putting some insoles in my sneakers for extra padding does help with walking downhill (also jarring to my bladder). Maybe also try out different settings (speed, incline) to see if there's one that is more comfortable for you.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Hi Kadi and G,

I use my treadmill on 0% grade and a speed of 2.6 when I am flaring - so there's less jostling, less time spent "feeling" my bladder.....swimming and yoga are great to try, too. Strength training with small dumbbells is another great way to stay active by increasing the heart rate and building muscle!

Enjoy the long weekend!

Beth
      IC diagnosis 1999
      Meds: Elmiron
      hydroxyzine hcl
      DMSO as needed
      valium as needed
      librax 3x day

TENS therapy

Thanks to all on the boards - YOU have helped more than I can say!

A person's true wealth is the good he or she does in the world.

Comment

Thanks to both of you! At least I know I'm not the only one that has this problem.
        I have tried the lower settings, about 2.5 is all I can do without worsening. I just felt like that wasn't enough. Maybe I'll look into the yoga idea.......(is there a gagging icon?? I really, really hate other forms of exercize, lol).
        I will also try the padding, thanks so much!

Comment

Girl, I am proud of you because you are trying. I know we have our limitations and sometimes we have to find out exactly how far to go, but doing what we can do is what is important. Sometimes I can do the treadmill, swimming, walking but there are days I can't. I definitely appreciate the times I am able to do it.

Take care, Trishann

Comment

Absolutely!!

Whenever we feel good (or at least a little better...) we should try doing fun things that we can't do when we are flaring.....I LOVE exercising when it is feasible.....besides exercising, keeping a good mind set is imperitive to help us when we are flaring.....

Does internet shopping count as exercise??

Hugs to all,
            Beth
            IC diagnosis 1999
            hydroxyzine hcl
            DMSO as needed
            valium as needed
            librax 3x day

TENS therapy

Comment

exercise

My brother just gave me a Air Dyne exercise bike. I'm hoping this won't bother my bladder.
              Pam

Comment

Hi Sun,

I have found that biking irritates my bladder and increases symptoms. See how it works for you - be aware of the pressure that bike seats may place on your pelvic area.

Good luck!

Regards,
                Beth
                IC diagnosis 1999
                hydroxyzine hcl
                DMSO as needed
                valium as needed
                librax 3x day

TENS therapy

Comment

Beth, I vote that shopping counts!! Hee, Hee, I have a VERY toned index finger!
                  Sunshine, the biking was horrible for me; it puts a lot of pressure in very bad places. Maybe it will work for you - keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

exercise

The bike will probably bother me. I know the treadmill did. The bike needs a part so I don't know if I will fix it or not. I do walk during my breaks at work so I get about 2 miles in but I need to do more or eat a lot less. I would love to lose about 30 pounds.!
                    Pam

Comment

Wouldn't we all???

I'd settle for 10 - but 30 would be AWESOME!!!!
                      IC diagnosis 1999
                      hydroxyzine hcl
                      DMSO as needed
                      valium as needed
                      librax 3x day

TENS therapy

Comment

girl... my problem started on the treadmill actually. I was running and felt this pain on my left side (in front, not my hip). I stopped running and it went away. I tried to rest for 2 weeks, but running again made it worse. I gave it a few more days and when the pain came back, I said "screw it" and I ran through the pain. After a few days of that I started to have urgency feelings. I stopped to get off the treadmill and those feelings stopped. I started running again and the feeling came back. After a month of just walking on the treadmill, the urgency feeling came with just walking. Now, it is 24/7, but it all started with the treadmill. That impact it has on the body is hard to deal with I guess, but yes, the treadmill, sadly, makes me feel worse. Walking around the grocery store makes me feel worse
                        [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

I can do a treadmill if I take it easy and work up to increasing my time walking. I don't even try the higher speeds.

Donna
                          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

The elliptical seems to be much easier on my bladder also.

Kari
                            Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Comment

I've been listening to the book "Younger Next Year for Women" and it explains that a slower pace (like 2.5 mph) is excellent for a longer time, like 30-40 minutes. I don't think you have to push the speed at all and you might have to build up to that length of time. I did.

Hang in there. According to this book, it's "exercise or rot!" ....and I believe it (since I can feel the "rot", i.e, pain, in my hips for not exercising for 6 months).
                              Now I'm back at it 6 days a week.

Best wishes to all,
                              Darlene

Comment

Working...
                              X