Riding an upright bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding an upright bike?

I am curious if anyone here has had success bike riding without causing pain and flares.

I'm desperate to try taking a spinning class at my gym again -- maybe there are special "cycling" shorts or something that would help take pressure off the urethra?

I exercise 5-7 days/week and would love to put this class back into my rotation since its such an awesome calorie burn.

Any advice?

I've been doing intervals on a recumbent bike, which is very comfortable, but isn't the same as this class, which is super motivational! I anyone wants the recumbent routine, I can email it to you.
    -----
    Kara
    33 years old

Symptoms began 12/10 - I had BV that went undiagnosed for awhile and developed urinary symptoms that did not go away after BV was treated. Visited the ER on 12/28/10 with extreme pelvic and lower back pain.

Had cystoscopy with urogyn soon after which did not show any problem with the bladder. He did not think I had IC but I gave up cycling and tried the diet anyway. Symptoms initially improved some with diet modifications.

I've had a few stretches of time where I felt that this whole nightmare just went away. I could drink and eat more freely and did not experience any issues. But eventually the pain keeps coming back.

Most recently I had a flair start at the end of August. I was DX with a yeast infection. It was treated and I felt a lot better for a few weeks.

Symptoms returned in September but the tests all came up negative. (??)

Currently getting very bad flairs from sex, but not until days later (???).

I'm now wondering if I have Vulvodynia, PFD or pudendal neuralgia (PN)/ pudendal nerve entrapment (PNE)

Treatments

I take Advil and Xyzal as needed and HYDROXYZ nightly.

None of this is enough at the moment but I am very reluctant to take Elavil (slows you down, makes you gain weight etc.) and Elmiron is ridiculously expensive without prescription coverage.

I also do pilates and other forms of exercise daily. It seems to help a lot but I still live with a great deal of pain right now, especially sitting!

My next step is to find a new doctor who is very familiar with pelvic pain disorders and can recommend a physical therapist to work with me.

Here is my precious family!

Originally posted by KaraY View Post
    I am curious if anyone here has had success bike riding without causing pain and flares.

I'm desperate to try taking a spinning class at my gym again -- maybe there are special "cycling" shorts or something that would help take pressure off the urethra?

I exercise 5-7 days/week and would love to put this class back into my rotation since its such an awesome calorie burn.

Any advice?

I've been doing intervals on a recumbent bike, which is very comfortable, but isn't the same as this class, which is super motivational! I anyone wants the recumbent routine, I can email it to you.
    I'm quite interested to know this too.. Riding my bike causes ridiculous frequency & I need it to get to my clients!

Comment

I dont have a clue as to what to suggest regarding a cycling class. Have you discussed your issue with the instructor or the owner of the gym? Perhaps they've dealt with similar issues and can suggest something to you.

Regarding your own bicycle--if you go into your local bike shop and tell the cycling pro your issues s/he can recommend the proper seat for you, and you'll be able to try it out prior to purchasing. There are seats specifically designed for pelvic issues that compensate both male and female anatomy.

(\__/)
      (o.O )
      (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Working...
      X