Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Hello all,

I have had quite an issue with birth control/period flares, etc. I have been on different pills in order to try to do the continuous birth control, but at the same time on the second month I am having breakthrough bleeding. I have been on Yaz, which was then changed to Yasmin (could not tolerate the side effects), back to Yaz, and then Sprintec (most recent). On the second month, close to when I would start taking the placebo pills, I had breakthrough bleeding and a terrible flare that started. This flare has been ongoing.

I was wondering if maybe the estrogen in the Sprintec caused the bad flare. Even with the Yaz, when I had the breakthrough bleeding (same time), I had only one bad day of pain and that was all. The Sprintec had completely set me off. My urologist increased my Elavil to try and help with this flare (it seems that is somewhat helping). I am planning on calling my gynecologist tomorrow to see if I can go back on the Yaz. I am still gonna have the breakthrough bleeding, but at least the period does not last as long and is less painful. I have been out of work for around a week, and it has been terrible. I've been doing my treatments and everything I am told to do. I hope they can figure it out. I talked to one of my pharmacists today, and she told me that estrogen can cause smooth muscle contractions, and that could be why I am reacting to the pill (thought it was interesting, never heard of that).

Hormones are seriously no fun, haha. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if there are any other pills that may have helped anyone else?

Erin
    24 year old Ph.D student in Organic Chemistry

Loves to listen to music, play with my animals (cat, fish, 2 hamsters), and live life to the fullest each and every day.

My blog (just started):

http://imaginenoworries.blogspot.com/

Medications:
    Elavil 25mg (helped with nighttime urination-used to be 7 or more times a night, now just once)
    Cymbalta 60mg
    Gabapentin (Neurontin) (3200mg/day)
    Zyrtec 10mg
    Xanax 0.5mg up to 3 times a day(spasms, anxiety)
    Uribel
    Macrobid 100mg (only on days when doing an instill)
    Albuterol
    Yaz Birth Control (3 months on birth control, then period)
    Pelvic floor therapy
    Valium 5 mg (inserted vaginally)
    MScontin 30 mg (3 times a day)
    Percocet 10/325mg (every 6 hours)
    TENS Therapy, CVS machine, 30 minutes once or twice a day
    Sanctura XR 60 mg (to help control severe bladder spasms that are causing urinary retention episodes and enable normal bladder sensations)

*** 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 ounce glass of water up to 4 times a day*****

Instill:

Currently doing hyaluronic acid instillations (cystistat-6 instillations, once a week, already had 4...not sure if helping)

Used to do these:

Solu-Cortef (act-o-vial) 100 mg: 2 mL
    Marcaine (bupivicaine) 0.5 % 25 mL
    20,000 units Heparin
    3 mL sodium bicarbonate

Diagnoses: Moderate IC, scoliosis, asthma, ovarian cysts, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, Fowler's syndrome (mild) 'Central Sensitivity Syndrome.'
Working...
X