I look pregnant...but am not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look pregnant...but am not

Oh my gosh. Today one of my students (age 11) said she thought I was pregnant. Of course I was wearing a lose pregnancy looking style dress because I am in pain and having bladder troubles. (though the dress is a cute dress...) And I have my period which makes me more bloated. So the combination of IC, pelvic issues, constipation, and my period, makes my stomach protrude like I'm 3/4 months pregnant! (maybe even more) I'm petite and on the smaller size so it's really noticeable! I HATE this!

I honestly have no idea how to conquer the bloating. I have already started my new gluten fee/IC friendly STRICT diet. Adding more vegetables into my diet is making me more gassy and bloated. So I'm going slow. I have been drinking prune juice to help with constipation but it caused me gas and I swear it made my bladder more irritated. My physical therapist said I'm dehydrated. And I take a migraine medicine that causes constipation. So going off of that isn't an option. And you know if I drink more water, that means more bathroom trips. (as if once and hour isn't enough) I'm desperately trying to control my bathroom trips to once an hour. NOT easy during my period.

I just want to put a needle in my stomach to deflate it!

I had to vent... I feel I will float away...
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

I feel for you I really do. I remember the bloated belly and it was so uncomfortable. It was like someone blew me up with a pump. Between the bloated belly and the constipation from the bladder meds I was miserable. I had to take Miralax for the first time in my life to get rid of the constipation. It would always be at it's worst at night and by morning it would deflate. I wish I had some good advice but I guess I don't. Just wanted to let you know that I can relate to how you're feeling. Hope it improves for you soon.

Comment

Did the Miralax work well? I took a stool softener but it didn't work. Maybe if I drank two plus glasses of prune juice by body would give up. But I'd be miserable in the mean time. I feel like a freak, I pray that a bowel movement will come at a convenient time. Always afraid I won't be near a bathroom. And besides that I HATE going in a public bathroom. So AWFUL!
      Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

My urologist also recommended a stool softener, but he didn't tell me what my primary care doctor told me when I complained it was useless. Stool softeners only work when you take them with your meals, because then they draw water into the food as the stool forms.

I found that Metamucil Clear & Natural was actually better for treating ongoing constipation than Colace (stool softener). I stirred it into my oatmeal or into hot milk with Pero (coffee substitute). Over time though, I found that my body adjusted to the IC medications and I don't really need the Metamucil anymore.

For occasional constipation, I use a Fleet's enema and that works well without side effects.
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Yes the Miralax worked well for me but not everyone has a positive outcome from it from what I've read on some posts here.

Comment

Oh gosh...did I ever make a mistake. I got so desperate tonight that I drank a whole glass of prune juice. I was so miserable today and couldn't take it. On top of it I got a migraine and wanted to at least end one suffering because my bladder can't take the pressure. Well...I ended up having diarrhea. I went at least five times. What a nightmare! I want to cry. At least I wasn't at work. But this week I've had so many flares because of my darned stomach and period and it had almost made me mad!

I'm going to try that Metamucil.

Thanks for suggestions and support!
            Frances

Comment

I did the same thing with prune juice once and I never did it again! I think I was in the bathroom all day! Hope the metamucil works for you.

Comment

Constipation can cause headaches, metamucil when taken reg can help for both D and C. It makes me gasy which increases IC pain, so I use Miralax, it has made a world of difference to me.

MG
                My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Are you feeling any better now, Frances?

I laugh at my body because my stomach goes from perfectly flat in the morning to a six month-pregnant belly by the time I get home from work! A bath, lying down, and relaxing seem to deflate it somewhat.

Taking a calcium citrate supplement with magnesium has done more for my intestines than prune juice or fiber supplements.

Comment

snow_melt

I know exactly what you mean about a flat tummy in the morning bloating out by 4pm. This has happend all my life, and I assumed it was just the food I ate or something, my friends used to laugh at me, so did I before that bloating came with pain and frequency. Now it only gets really bloated when I am flaring. Sometimes I have to laugh at how stupid I look. I am so skinny with what appears to be a basketball down my shirt
                    TMJ Dysfunction 2009
                    Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
                    IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
                    PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
                    Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
                    Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
                    Endep 25mg - 4months
                    Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
                    Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
                    Countless creams, lotions and potions.
                    Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
                    PT - for 1 year
                    Various herbs and supplements

Comment

Snowmelt...thanks for the concern. I had no idea that people responded because the email responses went to my spam!

I am so-so these days. My stomach and back are such chronic problems nowadays, and I think stress and too much Naproxen are causing problems. I'm trying to combat these things by exercising and taking Omeprazole faithfully. When I ran out of Omeprazole I noticed a big difference in pain and heartburn. However, I always seem to have a bloated sensation in my entire stomach area, regardless of what I do. My PT said that because the muscles are all so tight, the bowel and bladder can't work correctly, which therefore affects digestion and other things, causing the bloating. (one of many symptoms) So now I'm going through bowel and bladder training. I did notice a difference in my bladder already, which seems to good to be true. And I am able to drink the KAVA coffee that Donna recommended. (SO GLAD ABOUT THAT) I am able to have bowel movements more by drinking coffee...not perfectly...but better than before.

Claire_A....It's frustrating huh? It's worse to be on the thin side in some sense because bodies look strange with the bloating. I have some weight in my stomach area but not enough to cover up the bloating.

I hope everyone is having a good day today.
                      Frances

Comment

In this months news letter, there is a link down quite a ways on the page to a link that found people even with disc problems, did well on dexdrine, as a treatment for it.

Some people have found dexadrine to be really helpfull for IC, you should take a look at it.

MG
                        My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Things to try

You may want to try (I know you are already gluten free) going dairy free and sugar free. I do that. It has helped ALOT. Also turmeric 4 pills or so per day heals the intestines and colon. Research this on the web....It is great for IC.
                          I use alot of stevia. Especially the flavored liquids. I also take some melted Coconut oil by mixing it with Carob and protein powder and "Chocolate flavored stevia" for a kind of dessert. Coconut oil is great for IC and for energy and is anti viral, etc. You can research on the web. My stomach has been debloated. It was big since age 28, when I got really sick. I feel gluten is the biggest problem for IC.

Comment

What works for me: organic instant oatmeal (Nature's Path) with flax. For you, you will need to get a gluten-free oatmeal. Add ONE organic prune that is cut up and cook with the oatmeal. Prune juice is also too strong for me, so one organic prune with oatmeal in the AM and 1-2 organic prunes before I go to bed does the trick.
                            I used to be a vegetarian, and I had some of the worse bloat when I was one. Be careful with too many vegetables and fiber--I discovered that too much fiber can constipate you. All these pundits keep yammering about how we need more vegetables in our diet, blah blah blah blah. Well, these people have never dealt with IBS or IC. I do eat vegetables, but tend to have better luck with fruit in keeping me regular.
                            Fresh mango is also great IF you can tolerate it. It is listed as a "food worth trying" on the ICN Food List.

Comment

I too have suffered from the IC belly, but recently found something that has helped me. I purchased the Tiger Balm large pain relieving patches. They help with my pain and reduce the swelling. They do have a strong odor, but I still wear one almost every day. It makes a world of difference for me. I just place it over my lower abdomin/bladder area and go on about my day. Hope this helps someone else!

Comment

Working...
                              X