Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Acid Decaf on a Budget

Hello all,

I know that there are many of us that do not like to give up that taste of coffee in the morning (myself included), and I have noticed that caffeine is definitely not good for me so I try to experiment. In the winter time, I like something warm.

At the grocery store in the coffee isle, I have always wanted to try Folgers brand simply smooth decaf coffee. Mostly because it is made for 'sensitive stomachs,' which I assumed was lower acidity. I have been able to have a cup of this and not had an issue. It is not that expensive, like other organic low acid coffees out there. And you can find it virtually in any grocery store.

Just wanted to mention it!

Erin
    24 year old Ph.D student in Organic Chemistry

Loves to listen to music, play with my animals (cat, fish, 2 hamsters), and live life to the fullest each and every day.

My blog (just started):

http://imaginenoworries.blogspot.com/

Medications:
    Elavil 25mg (helped with nighttime urination-used to be 7 or more times a night, now just once)
    Cymbalta 60mg
    Gabapentin (Neurontin) (3200mg/day)
    Zyrtec 10mg
    Xanax 0.5mg up to 3 times a day(spasms, anxiety)
    Uribel
    Macrobid 100mg (only on days when doing an instill)
    Albuterol
    Yaz Birth Control (3 months on birth control, then period)
    Pelvic floor therapy
    Valium 5 mg (inserted vaginally)
    MScontin 30 mg (3 times a day)
    Percocet 10/325mg (every 6 hours)
    TENS Therapy, CVS machine, 30 minutes once or twice a day
    Sanctura XR 60 mg (to help control severe bladder spasms that are causing urinary retention episodes and enable normal bladder sensations)

*** 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 ounce glass of water up to 4 times a day*****

Instill:

Currently doing hyaluronic acid instillations (cystistat-6 instillations, once a week, already had 4...not sure if helping)

Used to do these:

Solu-Cortef (act-o-vial) 100 mg: 2 mL
    Marcaine (bupivicaine) 0.5 % 25 mL
    20,000 units Heparin
    3 mL sodium bicarbonate

Diagnoses: Moderate IC, scoliosis, asthma, ovarian cysts, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, Fowler's syndrome (mild) 'Central Sensitivity Syndrome.'

Hi Erin
    Thanks for the tip
    Even tho I'm in remission and can now seem to eat whatever I want without ill effect I am still concerned about what drinking too much coffee could do to my bladder. I was getting worried that my having returned to a daily consumption of two cups/day of strong coffee might end up harming me even if I can't feel it right now!
    So I've switched to hot tea with milk recently and surprisingly I like it as much as I do coffee. Coffee was a huge trigger for me when I was symptomatic but tea never was. (I know that many with IC do have a problem with it)

Comment

Kava instant coffee is also low in acid --- I can have one cup with no problem, but don't drink more than that. I can't have tea at all, except herbal teas --- and I read labels carefully.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

The Simply Smooth Decaf by Folgers is awesome. It has a soothing smooth flavor, and you can tell that it's about acid free. I've been drinking this for a couple of years now with no problems.

Comment

This is great info! Thank you. I also forwarded it to my dad who loves coffee but has the same bladder issues as me.
          Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I am happy that everyone enjoyed the tip. I have never tried the KAVA brand instant coffee, but was afraid of how it would taste. I have recently ordered JAVAcid, so hopefully that will help. It is hard giving up coffee, I really enjoy the taste, not as much for the caffeine.

I can also have an iced decaf americano (tall) with one shot of decaf-it is mostly water and very dilute. That does not really bother me much either, but gives me that iced coffee taste!

Erin
            24 year old Ph.D student in Organic Chemistry

Loves to listen to music, play with my animals (cat, fish, 2 hamsters), and live life to the fullest each and every day.

My blog (just started):

http://imaginenoworries.blogspot.com/

Medications:
            Elavil 25mg (helped with nighttime urination-used to be 7 or more times a night, now just once)
            Cymbalta 60mg
            Gabapentin (Neurontin) (3200mg/day)
            Zyrtec 10mg
            Xanax 0.5mg up to 3 times a day(spasms, anxiety)
            Uribel
            Macrobid 100mg (only on days when doing an instill)
            Albuterol
            Yaz Birth Control (3 months on birth control, then period)
            Pelvic floor therapy
            Valium 5 mg (inserted vaginally)
            MScontin 30 mg (3 times a day)
            Percocet 10/325mg (every 6 hours)
            TENS Therapy, CVS machine, 30 minutes once or twice a day
            Sanctura XR 60 mg (to help control severe bladder spasms that are causing urinary retention episodes and enable normal bladder sensations)

*** 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 ounce glass of water up to 4 times a day*****

Instill:

Currently doing hyaluronic acid instillations (cystistat-6 instillations, once a week, already had 4...not sure if helping)

Used to do these:

Solu-Cortef (act-o-vial) 100 mg: 2 mL
            Marcaine (bupivicaine) 0.5 % 25 mL
            20,000 units Heparin
            3 mL sodium bicarbonate

Diagnoses: Moderate IC, scoliosis, asthma, ovarian cysts, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, Fowler's syndrome (mild) 'Central Sensitivity Syndrome.'

Comment

Cold Brew coffee

I have been able to tolerate cold brew coffee. I use about 1/3 cup coffee (decaf) to 1 cup water, let it sit for 8 hours at room temp and then strain. This makes a concentrate which I store in the fridge. I just add a few tablespoons to a cup of really hot water. It doesn't have as much acid, and it makes a really smooth rich cup of coffee. I don't do this every day, but it helps when you are craving coffee.

Comment

I drink instant decaf coffee at home. It allows me to have coffee because I can control the strength. It takes a few times testing the coffee to find the right strength that works. But it is worth the effort.

I am also able to drink decaf coffee with Javacid when I go to a resturant. However, I've noticed I really can't drink it after 8:00 because it will always cause me to get up in the night to go to the potty.

I am so thankful for this site and the people that post their experiences. It has helped me make a lot of decisions about how to handle IC and my diet.

Comment

Working...
                X