Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Remedies!

Hi all,
    This week has not been my favorite. Seems last weekend's exhaustion led into an AWFUL cold, which has cost me 3 days off work -- so much for saving sick leave

Anyhow, just in case someone else out there has caught the EVIL bug, here are some things that make me more comfortable & don't set off a flare...

1. Hot showers with a "Sudacare Shower Soother" on the floor (fizzy tablet that releases Vicks type vapors when the hot water hits it)
    2. Rinsing nose out with NeilMed bottle warm saline-reduces congestion & seems to prevent sinus infection
    3. Vicks "Baby Rub"- milder than regular Vicks & more soothing
    4. BreatheRight nasal strips (stick on to outside of your nose to open it up more)
    5. Hot pear juice with a little honey or just hot water with honey
    6. For sore throat & to soothe dry cough, Werthers Original hard candy
    7. Gargle with salt water
    8. Homemade chicken soup
    9. Mucinex for chest coughs
    10. Ludens Licorice Throat Drops or Ricola original (not citrus!) drops. BeeKind honey cough drops, Luden's honey drops (use sparingly)
    11. Vaporizer next to bed, mine has a place to put menthol liquid in it.
    12. Theraflu vapor patch: Like a sticker with Vicks vapors in it that you stick to your pj top. No gooey Vicks all over your chest!
    13. Chlorseptic (green) throat spray (don't swallow it)
    14. Whining just a little
    15. Making it up to yourself by allowing yourself your own personal dvd film festival. Only funny or sweet movies allowed. I just watched "My Best Friend" - charming French comedy, and my dvd of "Black Books" - my alltime favorite British comedy series.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

I follow all the suggectiins from your list! Thanks! I can't get rid of the stuffiness! Sooo annoying!

Comment

Vick new natural cold medicines

http://www.google.com/m/products/cat...ed=0CD0Q8wIwAg

Feeling a bit under the weather, wondering if we can take this new product from Vicks? Above is the link. I'm new to ic and I'm not sure of the problem ingredients in medicine.

Thanks!

Comment

I just looked at the ingredients list for Vicks Natural Nighttime medicine. The number one inert ingredient is citric acid and I'm not familiar with two of the three active ingredients, so it's a no on that one for me for sure....
        Kadi

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed

Comment

Kadi,

Thanks for posting! That's a great list.

I sure hope everyone feels better soon!

Suzi

Comment

Yes, tpronti. You never appreciate breathing through your nose, until you catch a cold and can't! Feel better soon!
            Kadi

Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Pyridium if needed,

Comment

Really helpful, thanks
              yOuR mAtE

Comment

Thank you so much for this!!! I don't have a cold at the moment, but ussually get one or two ever year .. urgh. At least I know where to look for good cold remedy ideas!!!

Jenn
                28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Hi Kadi, just wondering, I have loads of allergies like many of us on the network, anyway, and many times an allergy can trigger a head cold. I don't think I can think back when a cold hasn't triggered a sinus infection. I immediately do the right things... gargle, vicks, I can take sudafed without a problem, my own fresh chicken soup... plain. I can't eat carrots due to the fact that it is a high oxalate food and I have vulvodynia, too, and of course NEVER onion for me. So, I'm a little concerned about this since I haven't had a cold since I developed IC(diagnosed May 5, 2012) what are your thoughts about developing a sinus infection. Thanks for all the suggestions... warmly, cair

Comment

Working...
                  X